Mayo V Sligo - Connaught senior final - July 15th

Started by sligoman2, June 25, 2012, 12:03:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cosmo Kramer

I'm not aware that there's any great history of Mayo fans gathering in Roscommon town after the game, although no doubt a few do, similar to anywhere else.

Personally, win or lose, I will be doing the same as the majority of Mayo fans after the game, pointing the car towards the N60 and joining the very long queue to get the f**k out of the place.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

moysider

Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on July 06, 2012, 01:06:15 PM
I'm not aware that there's any great history of Mayo fans gathering in Roscommon town after the game, although no doubt a few do, similar to anywhere else.

Personally, win or lose, I will be doing the same as the majority of Mayo fans after the game, pointing the car towards the N60 and joining the very long queue to get the f**k out of the place.

I must have attended 9 or 10 Connacht Finals in the Hyde involving Mayo and Roscommon. Not to mention other rounds and league and qualifiers etc and I have never been in the historic old town centre once.

It s a ground. You go in, watch the game and you go home. That s the way it is for most people who are driving, have kids in tow and stuff at home. I m sure most Rossies take the same approach for a game in Castlebar.

ck

Personally I've never had a bad day at Hyde park despite many bad results for my team!

TyrionLannister

I hear all is very quiet on the western people front, not much in the Mayo news either.
(see what I did there?)

No interviews, no build ups, no previews at all this week. Normally when the local scribes have nothing to write about we often see a look back at a previous historic encounter, but I dont think we even had that this week?

Is this media ban creating an air of anticipation or is it fanning the hype away? 

Not a peep out of either camp this week which is intriguing!

We could see a team named as early as Tuesday night could we? To get this thread off its knees ill give it a shot:

Clarke
Keane, Cafferkey, Higgins,
Boyle, Vaughan, Keegan
Moran, Gibbons,
McLoughlin, Moran, Dillon,
Mortimor, O Connor, Conroy

You could see Richie starter for Boyle if he is off form like the last day.
O Connor should start inside, and Andy needs to be centre forward.
Doherty and Freeman didnt cut it the last day, but I guess Freeman could be there instead of Conroy at 15, depending on form. Wouldnt say McGarity is in contention, by all accounts he was terrible in the club championships down in Mayo last weekend.

moysider

Quote from: ck on July 06, 2012, 02:16:43 PM
Personally I've never had a bad day at Hyde park despite many bad results for my team!

So what would constitute a bad day then?

Some of my all time favourite favourite memories are from the Hyde. 85,88,89, 93, 2011.

A couple that got away like 2001, a fair and square defeat in 91 replay and a hammering in '80 but that s football. Not many finals between us last 20 years( 4 I think) ach sin scéal eile.

Overall I think we are in credit in the Hyde and have fond memories of the place but still that doesn t mean I think it s the right venue for next week.

Farrandeelin

Well in all fairness Tyrion, next weeks editions of the WP and MN should have all things covered. Even WJ's blog is gone all quiet since he's away on holidays. Anyway I agree with you in saying Andy Moran should be at no 11. How come the Sligo posters are so quiet? Are you all going to come on if ye win and say we're daft to have hope because Sligo are a real force in Connacht now, or are ye gonna come out at all or what? Usually there'd be some slant from other counties we're playing.

Sligonian, I take all I've said about you in the past back. Come on and rescue the thread from the Rossies!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

TyrionLannister

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 06, 2012, 03:41:20 PM
Well in all fairness Tyrion, next weeks editions of the WP and MN should have all things covered. Even WJ's blog is gone all quiet since he's away on holidays. Anyway I agree with you in saying Andy Moran should be at no 11. How come the Sligo posters are so quiet? Are you all going to come on if ye win and say we're daft to have hope because Sligo are a real force in Connacht now, or are ye gonna come out at all or what? Usually there'd be some slant from other counties we're playing.

Sligonian, I take all I've said about you in the past back. Come on and rescue the thread from the Rossies!

TyrionLannister

Quote from: moysider on July 06, 2012, 03:01:00 PM
Overall I think we are in credit in the Hyde and have fond memories of the place but still that doesn t mean I think it s the right venue for next week.

Tubberman

Quote from: TyrionLannister on July 06, 2012, 03:44:43 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 06, 2012, 03:41:20 PM

You have elves??
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Rossfan

Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 06, 2012, 12:54:23 AM
Quote from: Syferus on July 06, 2012, 12:19:46 AM
Imagine lads - if Sligo win they'll have played Galway, Roscommon and Mayo in Connacht finals over the last six seasons and we'll be the only ones with a victory over the William Butler men  :-*
I'm sure you are trying to make a point but I for one can't figure out WTF you are on about. ;D
Is there an interpreter on the board?

I told ye already not to pay any heed to this buckeen. :o
His mammy bought him a new toy for his 10th birthday last March.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

macdanger2

Quote from: TyrionLannister on July 06, 2012, 02:56:19 PM
I hear all is very quiet on the western people front, not much in the Mayo news either.
(see what I did there?)

No interviews, no build ups, no previews at all this week. Normally when the local scribes have nothing to write about we often see a look back at a previous historic encounter, but I dont think we even had that this week?

Is this media ban creating an air of anticipation or is it fanning the hype away? 

Not a peep out of either camp this week which is intriguing!

We could see a team named as early as Tuesday night could we? To get this thread off its knees ill give it a shot:

Clarke
Keane, Cafferkey, Higgins,
Boyle, Vaughan, Keegan
Moran, Gibbons,
McLoughlin, Moran, Dillon,
Mortimor, O Connor, Conroy

You could see Richie starter for Boyle if he is off form like the last day.
O Connor should start inside, and Andy needs to be centre forward.
Doherty and Freeman didnt cut it the last day, but I guess Freeman could be there instead of Conroy at 15, depending on form. Wouldnt say McGarity is in contention, by all accounts he was terrible in the club championships down in Mayo last weekend.

I'd say if Freeman plays it'll be himself and Conroy with Mort on the bench.

Will either of the O'Ses be fit?

I presume KH will go on Kelly with Caff on Marren? How they fare will probably be fairly dependent on how MF get on - the best way to stop those two will be to stop ball coming in and / or put pressure on the players kicking in the ball.

ross4life

Quote from: moysider on July 06, 2012, 01:24:04 PM

I must have attended 9 or 10 Connacht Finals in the Hyde involving Mayo and Roscommon. Not to mention other rounds and league and qualifiers etc and I have never been in the historic old town centre once.

It s a ground. You go in, watch the game and you go home. That s the way it is for most people who are driving, have kids in tow and stuff at home. I m sure most Rossies take the same approach for a game in Castlebar.

Normally i would go straight home after Castlebar final but in 2010 i decided to stay the night. I was in all the local hot spots TBH you wouldn't even know there was a Connacht final on earlier in the day. That final had attendance of 23,000 if it was played in Hyde park it would be over 26,000 but no one complained & just got on with it.

As for this year's final i'm expecting another close contest just like the 2005-2011 Connacht finals apparently David Kelly is doubtful while both O'Shea's are fit again.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Syferus

I can't see Kelly not starting, at worst they'll jab him with some witchcraft and send him out there - he was huge for them in the semi-final and is one of the most skilful corner forwards in the game.

moysider

Kelly was doubtful before last game as well. I suspect that he is more likely to feature though than either of the O Sés.

I think we could well see the same starting 15 again for Mayo. Don t think much happened the last day to make them change their mind.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: ross4life on July 06, 2012, 06:54:46 PM
Quote from: moysider on July 06, 2012, 01:24:04 PM

Normally i would go straight home after Castlebar final but in 2010 i decided to stay the night. I was in all the local hot spots TBH you wouldn't even know there was a Connacht final on earlier in the day. That final had attendance of 23,000 if it was played in Hyde park it would be over 26,000 but no one complained & just got on with it.

As for this year's final i'm expecting another close contest just like the 2005-2011 Connacht finals apparently David Kelly is doubtful while both O'Shea's are fit again.

Maybe if Mayo were in the senior final you might.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.