Should Roy Keane be the next Ireland manager?

Started by CorkMan, June 18, 2012, 05:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should Roy Keane be the next Ireland manager?

Yes
No

CorkMan

On 96fm this morning, there was a poll asking should Roy Keane be the next Ireland manager. This was after Niall Quinn said he should on Ireland AM. So what do ye think?

Personally I think he should get the job at some stage. He would not pick players like John O'Shea, Aiden McGeady and Robbie Keane when we have better players such as Stephen Kelly, James McLean and Shane Long on the bench.

Then players would have total respect for him. The time between international breaks would give the players time to forget how scared of him they are but not enough time for him to forget what he thinks of the players.

Gazzler

Why would anyone want to play for someone they are scared of?
And anyway why would anyone be scared of Roy Keane? What's he gonna do to them? Is he gonna do an Haaland style tackle on them in training or something?

BarryBreensBandage

I don't know if the longevity of club management suits him, think the international set up would suit him better.

But I'm enjoying his comments too much as a pundit - although the comment on the fans was a bit ott. Thats Roy though, he has that look and talk about him of a man who has gone off the drink for his own good, and is on edge.

Would love to see a white collar boxing match between rival pundits with Keane squaring up to Shearer.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

Gazzler

Keane would probably take a swipe at Shearer and miss like he did on the pitch years ago :D

EC Unique

I'm sure he will get his chance at the Ireland job at some stage. He was the best palyer Ireland has ever had, he has had success at management and would be respected by the players. Sure some of the fans would not be happy but that would not really be relevent.

Would he take the job though?

Captain Obvious

A resounding no. A poor club manager should never be given a international job.

Agent Orange

Keane couldn't hack it in the Championship as a manger so he would be way, way out of his depth in the international game.

CorkMan

He'd be more suited to international management imo.

laoislad

I voted no as the question is for next Ireland manager.
I wouldn't be against it further into the future when he has managed  another club or two.
I think there are better options than him right now like Chris Hughton, Brian McDermott or even Mick McCarty again.

If Keane did get the job he would pretty much need to be an instant success with all the shite he is spouting at the moment people would soon be getting on his back if things were going wrong.
Also I doubt Keane would work for John Delaney, but then he did work for Niall Quinn so who knows...
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

BennyHarp

I'd say Harry Redknapp would be after the job. Can't see him getting England and it's hard to see which club would suit him.
That was never a square ball!!

Forever Green

Roy Keane is an arsehole of the absolute highest calibre. He shouldn`t be let near any football team, especially our own team

The Worker

Steve Stauton was a bigger legend that roy, and look what he achieved.

A resounding no.

CorkMan

Quote from: Forever Green on June 18, 2012, 07:10:02 PM
Roy Keane is an arsehole of the absolute highest calibre. He shouldn`t be let near any football team, especially our own team

Just because he's an arsehole doesn't mean he'd be a bad manager. Look at Raymond Domenech with France. I know it ended badly but he got them to a world cup final in 2006,

Agent Orange

Quote from: CorkMan on June 18, 2012, 07:19:24 PM
Just because he's an arsehole doesn't mean he'd be a bad manager.

Keane has already proven on more than one occassion that he is an arsehole and a bad manager.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Agent Orange on June 18, 2012, 07:44:53 PM
Quote from: CorkMan on June 18, 2012, 07:19:24 PM
Just because he's an arsehole doesn't mean he'd be a bad manager.

Keane has already proven on more than one occassion that he is an arsehole and a bad manager.
Some of the best ever managers have been arseholes. Roy Keane is a bad manager and if Ireland want to move forward they need a good manager.