Should Roy Keane be the next Ireland manager?

Started by CorkMan, June 18, 2012, 05:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should Roy Keane be the next Ireland manager?

Yes
No

trileacman

Quote from: Leo on June 19, 2012, 12:31:54 AM
Quote from: EC Unique on June 18, 2012, 08:42:14 PM
When he took over Sunderland they were way down the table. They ended up wining the championship and going up to the premier league where he kept them for a season. Not great after that but to say he has had no success as a manager is just wrong.

No. when he took over Sunderland they had just changed ownership and he was given a ball of money to out-spend the rest of the championship - which is what he did. They then struggled to stay in the premier league and guess what ... he walked out when the heat was on (so unlike our Roy!!).

Get it right.

I was about to say that. Spent a bomb of money on shit players at Sunderland, Richardson, Michael Chopra among others who have had to be cleared out of the club since to allow them to stay up.

You can't just say "Ipswich had shit players", I can say "Sunderland had great players" just as easily as that.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Armaghgeddon

He is obviously a bit sore over 2002 so no.

Shamrock Shore

Only if 'Ireland' was the name of a kebab joint in Birmingham. No way would I want him near the ROI soccer team. There'd be a split within 6 months!

Gazzler

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on June 19, 2012, 10:29:08 AM
Only if 'Ireland' was the name of a kebab joint in Birmingham. No way would I want him near the ROI soccer team. There'd be a split within 6 months!
What's the significance of your signature 'Could you show me a meter'

Shamrock Shore

QuoteWhat's the significance of your signature 'Could you show me a meter'

In the late 70s when Ireland was switching from imperial measures to metric there was a series of TV ads to get us used to it all.

One of them had a big hairy farmer looking for a length of something. The nice counter assistant said that they could no longer sell the item in yards but had to sell it in meters.

The farmer looks at her "I'm not sure, can you show me a meter" in a big thick accent.

For some reason it became a catchphrase round our parts at the time to denote a lack of knowledge on any subject.

ziggy90

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on June 19, 2012, 10:29:08 AM
Only if 'Ireland' was the name of a Balti House in Birmingham. No way would I want him near the ROI soccer team. There'd be a split within 6 months!

Fixed that for you. You're right but we don't want him anywhere near Brum either.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

AZOffaly

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on June 19, 2012, 10:48:14 AM

In the late 70s when Ireland was switching from imperial measures to metric there was a series of TV ads to get us used to it all.

One of them had a big hairy farmer looking for a length of something. The nice counter assistant said that they could no longer sell the item in yards but had to sell it in meters.

The farmer looks at her "I'm not sure, can you show me a meter" in a big thick accent.

For some reason it became a catchphrase round our parts at the time to denote a lack of knowledge on any subject.

Kind of like 'Where's Granda?'

Gazzler

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on June 19, 2012, 10:48:14 AM

That's a lovely story. Thanks.

stew

Forgetting 02 altogether,and simply looking at this from his managerial record the answer to the question has to be no. If he takes on another club and was successful then the should be a strong candidate for the position, but until then, absolutely not!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

NAG1

Quote from: Gazzler on June 19, 2012, 06:06:34 PM

The Rep fans basically cant be told the truth, that they have average players and are an average team at best. Roy tells the truth and that doesnt go down well, we would all love to live in this bubble of BS that the team should have done better but its not realistic. Championship players are not going to compete on this level.

Bingo

Quote from: NAG1 on June 20, 2012, 08:45:17 AM
The Rep fans basically cant be told the truth, that they have average players and are an average team at best. Roy tells the truth and that doesnt go down well, we would all love to live in this bubble of BS that the team should have done better but its not realistic. Championship players are not going to compete on this level.

Yes, I agree with the latter part but I don't think that has been what Keane is saying - he is talking more about the attitudes of players and not wanting it enough or working hard enough to get to a higher level.

I was amazed at the expectation going into the tournement, player had lost the run of themselves and where expecting results that I just couldn't see.

AZOffaly

NAG, I think you are actually making the fans point for them. Keane is the one that said the players should have performed better. (I agree with him). The fans are disappointed with how the team played, but did not have expectations beyond hoping for a few good results against the odds.

The issue with the fans is that Keane's comments have been reported as a dig at the fans for supporting the team. He was really saying that the team should be giving the fans something to cheer about.

If Roy thinks that the fans should be miserable because the team failed, well, I think he's missing the point of what these tournaments are and should be for fans. They go, they enjoy, they represent our country and they make friends, and they support the team. In that order. But they are fans, and that is exactly what they should do.

Players should be better prepared, and treat the competition as they would any other professional engagement, but Roy shouldn't be foisting those demands onto a fanbase.

It's only sport after all.

Mike Sheehy

It could be argued that Roy Keane is the biggest failure/choke in Irish sporting history.

He had a chance to prove himself on the biggest stage and walked (ran) away.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on June 20, 2012, 10:19:59 AM
It could be argued that Roy Keane is the biggest failure/choke in Irish sporting history.

He had a chance to prove himself on the biggest stage and walked (ran) away.

You could argue that, but it's slightly tangential to the discussion. If Paul McGrath said that the players should be very disappointed, and that it was not good enough, even for that limited bunch, and that no amount of brilliant fan behaviour can hide that fact, would people be as up in arms about it?