Meath vs Kildare 1st July 12 Croke Park

Started by squire_in_navy_slacks, June 17, 2012, 07:35:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Is it just me or is O'Connor not just an awful full forward? He offers very little close to goal other than a physical presence? Surely a switch between him and John Doyle was the move yesterday. O'Connor would seem to have the presence and the fitness to break up the Meath midfield while Doyle would have had the guile and skill closer to goal.

I think McGeeney needs to have another look at his tactics and strategy before they come up against another decent team!

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: shawshank on July 02, 2012, 12:21:57 PM
...Those who pubically wanted to shame him could now publically show they were wrong. No doubt you will say that you were relegated to division three, but yesterday proved he is the right man for the job.

Taking his trousers off would have been a shaming too far I'd say!  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

rosnarun

Quote from: shawshank on July 02, 2012, 12:21:57 PM
Delighted to see Banty prove all those Meath experts wrong yesterday. All the past greats involved in the media all qued up to take a pot at him. None giving him the backing he needed. Plenty of Meath posters here putting the boot in. Yesterday was one of the best Meath performances in along time. Banty has shown he has the ability, perhaps some of the Meath folk could get behind him. HE has changed the team with the introduction of young players. The number 5, 8 and 11 looked real quailty yesterday. Those who pubically wanted to shame him could now publically show they were wrong. No doubt you will say that you were relegated to division three, but yesterday proved he is the right man for the job.

maybe Roy keane is right whaen a team play crap Critisism works better than unthinking support  as this was a very different meath to to the one weve seen for the last 2 years or so.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

shawshank

The last two years!!! Was yesterday not the second time you had been in a lenister semi final in ten years?

thejuice

He has to win a Leinster title if he wants this job for next year I think. We did well in one game but haven't been amazing otherwise.

Harsh perhaps but that's how people might see it.

Beating Dublin, the All-Ireland champs in a Leinster final, might elevate him to sainthood though.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Hardy

Yes, everything is beautiful. Sweetness abounds. McEnaney is a genius.  Relegation didn't happen. The hammering by Louth was an illusion. The debacles, farces and screw-ups of the last eighteen months were only in our imaginations. John Evans and Trevor Giles are only there to make the tea. Start the bonfires now. Why wait until September?

agorm

I think that Banty's future will depend on how the team approaches and fares in the Leinster final as well as how they fare in the subsequent game(s). We dont want to be just gallant losers but, truth be told, this Dublin team are at a much more developed stage than we are now. If we put up a good performance with intelligent tactics and lose and then do well in the qualifiers then that would be sufficient in my mind for hm to keep his job. However, considering the happenings in Meath in recent years, this could go either way and there wont be too many punters placing bets on whether Banty will stay or go at the end of the season.

Sea The Stars

Banty should be left alone for 2013. There has been plenty of signs that he's putting together something special the most obvious been yesterday's performance.

My biggest criticism is that he has benefitted from some terrible luck. I mean how many injuries had he to deal with yesterday? Even the League, the momentum of two close defeats got out of hand and then we had the Tyrone and Louth shockers. The Meath supporters lost the plot after that Louth game, and looking back did their utmost in trying to write off Meath's season.

I can see already that the door is open for more bad luck with the Round 4 Qualifier fixed for the Saturday after the Leinster Final. Not that Banty will be looking that far ahead anyway but just imagine going down fighting against the All-Ireland champions and then having to pick ourselves to face a form team 6 days later.

I have not seen any debacles, farces or screw-ups under Banty's watch. Everything decision he has taken I could probably justify.

heffo

Quote from: Sea The Stars on July 02, 2012, 03:39:12 PM
I have not seen any debacles, farces or screw-ups under Banty's watch. Everything decision he has taken I could probably justify.

Bringing back Geraghty and not informing his selectors was a big mistake though imo

heffo

Quote from: Thastheball on July 02, 2012, 03:51:12 PM
Quote from: heffo on July 02, 2012, 03:40:46 PM

Bringing back Geraghty and not informing his selectors was a big mistake though imo

I think the selector was not informed as he was going behind Bantys bad trying to do a judas on him

Hadn't heard that - fair play to Banty for sticking to his guns anyway - they'll have no fear of Dublin in the Leinster Final.

agorm

Banty should be left alone for 2013. There has been plenty of signs that he's putting together something special the most obvious been yesterday's performance.

My biggest criticism is that he has benefitted from some terrible luck. I mean how many injuries had he to deal with yesterday? Even the League, the momentum of two close defeats got out of hand and then we had the Tyrone and Louth shockers. The Meath supporters lost the plot after that Louth game, and looking back did their utmost in trying to write off Meath's season.

I can see already that the door is open for more bad luck with the Round 4 Qualifier fixed for the Saturday after the Leinster Final. Not that Banty will be looking that far ahead anyway but just imagine going down fighting against the All-Ireland champions and then having to pick ourselves to face a form team 6 days later.

I thought that the GAA had planned the qualifiers to ensure that beaten finalists did not have to play the following week.

Sarge

Kildare thought that they had to turn up yesterday, they got their come ups ins. They believe their own hype about this team but are they really any use?

thejuice

Quote from: Sarge on July 02, 2012, 04:22:37 PM
come ups ins.

comeuppance

come·up·pance/kəˈməpəns/

Noun:   
A punishment or fate that someone deserves
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Sarge

comeuppance

come·up·pance/kəˈməpəns/

Noun:   
A punishment or fate that someone deserves
[/quote]

Bless  ;D

emmetryan

I've put together a tactical analysis piece on this for anyone interested
http://action81.com/blog/?p=5929
writer of the Tactics not Passion series at Action81.com