Meath vs Kildare 1st July 12 Croke Park

Started by squire_in_navy_slacks, June 17, 2012, 07:35:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ard-Rí

Kildare being very gracious in defeat  I notice, and it reminds me that they were similarly gracious in victory when they started their winning streak over us in 2010. There's not much to say that ye don't already know, but I would tentatively suggest Kildare were a little over confident going into today's game. I mean, Kildare probably are a better team, or certainly have been in recent encounters, but always required the A-game  to put Meath away. Once you don't bring that A-game, it's always going to be a tough day at the office. Anyway, best of luck to Kildare in the qualifiers, you never know, it might be the best thing that ever happened to this team.
Ar son Éireann Gaelaí

From the Bunker

Quote from: Ard-Rí on July 01, 2012, 07:21:01 PM
Kildare being very gracious in defeat  I notice, and it reminds me that they were similarly gracious in victory when they started their winning streak over us in 2010. There's not much to say that ye don't already know, but I would tentatively suggest Kildare were a little over confident going into today's game. I mean, Kildare probably are a better team, or certainly have been in recent encounters, but always required the A-game  to put Meath away. Once you don't bring that A-game, it's always going to be a tough day at the office. Anyway, best of luck to Kildare in the qualifiers, you never know, it might be the best thing that ever happened to this team.

I don't think it will be. This group need Championship silverware. Kildare people need Silverware. Backdoor means more games and more scalps. This group have had that journey too many times.

Croí na hÉireann

Eye Gouging has no place in GAA. Expected more from such an experienced footballer and so called gentleman.

An ill advised tweet from @kevreilly1. I know the incident he is referring to but it was an unfortunate coming together, no way was it an attempted eye gouge.

Doyle was very quiet today, was he carrying an injury or is his heart not in it anymore post Seanie?
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

joemamas

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 01, 2012, 06:35:42 PM
Quote from: thejuice on July 01, 2012, 06:18:20 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 01, 2012, 05:41:00 PM
Never have I cared less about a Kildare defeat.

You reap what you sow.

Roll on the county championship.

Ah now, you can't be at that now. We talk ourselves way down more than ye lot. You must be gutted really. I'd like to hear all about how deeply wounding this defeat has been. I'm all ears.

You're better than that Juice.

I have sympathy for the players especially the likes of Doyle and Earley but it's hard not to think we got what we deserve after the farce that went on yesterday.

Well done to Meath and I hope they repeat their performance in three weeks time.

For us outsiders, was moral that bad, was there a split camp with respect to Johnston. At the end of the day, Kildare have poor forwards who do not appear to be able to kick the ball over the bar.  I was at Q/final last year V Donegal, they had chances to kick at least 6-8 more points from play, from 50 yards in, did not convert and subsequently lost.

They should place Connor between 14 and 21, if he gets ball inside 14 he always seems to be bottled up, support play around him was poor. Bring on Dermot Earley was pure desperation and a poor decision. Are there no tricky/stylish forwards on bench.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on July 01, 2012, 08:53:37 PM
Eye Gouging has no place in GAA. Expected more from such an experienced footballer and so called gentleman.

An ill advised tweet from @kevreilly1. I know the incident he is referring to but it was an unfortunate coming together, no way was it an attempted eye gouge.

Doyle was very quiet today, was he carrying an injury or is his heart not in it anymore post Seanie?

I saw the incident alright, and to be honest if it wasn't Dermot Earley I'd be a lot more suspicious, but it still looked bad. I knew Reilly was pissed when he came on, he was certainly fired up.

theticklemister

Quote from: joemamas on July 01, 2012, 09:00:09 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 01, 2012, 06:35:42 PM
Quote from: thejuice on July 01, 2012, 06:18:20 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 01, 2012, 05:41:00 PM
Never have I cared less about a Kildare defeat.

You reap what you sow.

Roll on the county championship.

Ah now, you can't be at that now. We talk ourselves way down more than ye lot. You must be gutted really. I'd like to hear all about how deeply wounding this defeat has been. I'm all ears.

You're better than that Juice.

I have sympathy for the players especially the likes of Doyle and Earley but it's hard not to think we got what we deserve after the farce that went on yesterday.

Well done to Meath and I hope they repeat their performance in three weeks time.

For us outsiders, was moral that bad, was there a split camp with respect to Johnston. At the end of the day, Kildare have poor forwards who do not appear to be able to kick the ball over the bar.  I was at Q/final last year V Donegal, they had chances to kick at least 6-8 more points from play, from 50 yards in, did not convert and subsequently lost.

They should place Connor between 14 and 21, if he gets ball inside 14 he always seems to be bottled up, support play around him was poor. Bring on Dermot Earley was pure desperation and a poor decision. Are there no tricky/stylish forwards on bench.

Aye they have yer man Seanie something on the bench, he's not a bad forward!!!

Brick Tamlin

as a neutral watching that today it would do yer heart the power of good. Excellent showing from Meath when (and lets be honest) not many gave them a prayer. They were excellent and played the game how it should be played. Simply put, the team with the better quality of footballer won today and it was good to see especially how the game is going this last lock years.
Kildare are undoubtedly in the top bracket when it comes to fitness, conditioning and work ethic but when it came down to a shoot-out they were shown up.
One thing ive noticed from this Kildare side over the recent years is this macho posturing bullshite of throwing their weight about and over-egging it physically. Noticed the no8 (Bolton?) push a guy in the back and chest 4 or 5 times times in space of 5/6 seconds while a free was about to be taken..i mean it wasnt even relevant to the passage of play and the guy he was doin it to didnt do anything to warrant this pushing and shoving nonsense...sickens ma hole that type of shite.

Well done Meath, a victory for football

orangeman

No wonder Kildare needed a bailout. I was watching the number of peolple run out from under the stand as part of the panel and backroom team. There must have been 40 or 50 people between officials, subs and backroom team.

Costly handling that. No austerity in kildare gaa it seems.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 01, 2012, 09:13:18 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on July 01, 2012, 08:53:37 PM

I saw the incident alright, and to be honest if it wasn't Dermot Earley I'd be a lot more suspicious, but it still looked bad. I knew Reilly was pissed when he came on, he was certainly fired up.

It looked bad on first view but on second you could see that Earley didn't realise Reilly had ducked his head. Should have kept his counsel, they'll prob mention it on TSG next. Takes away from their win.

Ard-Rí

Not at all, and it was to Menton, not to Reilly. Reilly was brought in as a substitute for Menton following the incident. I didn't think it was intentional at the time, for the record, but I will need to see it again to be sure.
Ar son Éireann Gaelaí

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Ard-Rí on July 01, 2012, 09:47:26 PM
Not at all, and it was to Menton, not to Reilly. Reilly was brought in as a substitute for Menton following the incident. I didn't think it was intentional at the time, for the record, but I will need to see it again to be sure.

You're right, it was Menton , which makes it even worse, why is Reilly making accusations on an incident he was 60+ metres from?

AZOffaly

Quote from: Ard-Rí on July 01, 2012, 09:47:26 PM

I know it was Menton, but Reilly looked pissed when he came on after the incident, and I think he thought it was deliberate.

Hardy

It was simply an accident - no hint of a deliberate attempt. I don't know any player who would do that. People are always too ready to assume the worst of players. Kevin Reilly should have more sense.

orangeman

I have watched the incident on numerous occasions.

There's no way Earley went to gouge. Not a chance.

An accident.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Hardy on July 01, 2012, 10:12:01 PM
It was simply an accident - no hint of a deliberate attempt. I don't know any player who would do that. People are always too ready to assume the worst of players. Kevin Reilly should have more sense.

Quite the opposite in this case Hardy, I'm assuming that it was an accident because of Earley's reputation and past behaviour. Reilly obviously thinks it was more sinister and i thought he had that in his head when he came on.