Mayo v Leitrim - 24-6-12

Started by Farrandeelin, June 09, 2012, 12:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

I should have said result. 14>22 our margin of defeat wasn't the same although our performance v Galway was probably the worst i ever seen from us in the championship.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

From the Bunker

The bad news for Mayo is that of Both Doherty and Freeman the lads back in for Conroy and Mortimer we only got one score - a goal - outta 4-20. amazingly as far as i know 13 different players got on the scoresheet for Mayo.

Tubberman

Richie Feeney and Conroy did very well when they came on - could have played their way onto the team for the Connacht final.
Great to see Barry Moran playing well, worrying to see Donie Vaughan badly shown up by Emlyn Mulligan.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Blowitupref

The Mort to take over from the scoreless Doherty for the final?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

RedandGreenSniper

What can you honestly learn from that? But at least Mayo didn't ease off the gas. Barry Moran's performance will be great for his confidence while Conroy will probably start ahead of Doherty. You saw in Mayo's attitude today that they weren't taking Leitrim for granted. They better be of a similar mindset v Sligo.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

blast05

So we score 20 points and none of our full forward line can kick the ball over the bar.
Lovely.
If they can't score a few today then not a notion of scoring much in the bigger games later in the summer.
Fair enough that our style of play is not exactly long direct ball into the full forward line but still though 0/20 is very poor

spuds

Quote from: ross4life on June 24, 2012, 07:16:23 PM
I should have said result. 14>22 our margin of defeat wasn't the same although our performance v Galway was probably the worst i ever seen from us in the championship.
You not in McHale park in 2009 for Mayo Ross championship match ?
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Lucifer

Quote from: Tubberman on June 24, 2012, 08:52:58 PM
Richie Feeney and Conroy did very well when they came on - could have played their way onto the team for the Connacht final.
Great to see Barry Moran playing well, worrying to see Donie Vaughan badly shown up by Emlyn Mulligan.

Syferus

Quote from: spuds on June 25, 2012, 08:24:01 AM

2009 was after a disastrous year and was the first of an almost complete refresh of the panel. We had no expectations of beating Mayo in Castlebar in 2009. We should have been able to beat Galway at home this year.

ross4life

Quote from: spuds on June 25, 2012, 08:24:01 AM
You really need to ask was i at a Roscommon championship game? that game was our worst margin of defeat at least Mayo went on to win Nestor. Our performance v Galway was the worst i've seen from us in the championship but have seen worse in the league.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 24, 2012, 06:33:37 PM
Felt sorry for the Leitrim supporters who were sitting around me.

Mayo did what they had to do, they were ruthless and couldn't be seen to give Leitrim any lee-way at all. Saying that, Galway did the same thing to Roscommon and look what happened to them. Not a match that Mayo could be judged on. Even Barry Moran got motm! At least it's a minor/senior Connacht final appearance anyway, although we shouldn't settle for just appearing in them.

Maybe we should cut Barry Moran some slack? If Aidan put in that display people would be wetting themselves. I can t see anything but good in his form considering our main midfielders are like bone china.

I think yet again we can learn a lot from yesterday. We took a long time to get clued into it. Yet again it took Keith Higgins to up the tempo from corner back ( how long is this mistake going to continue). Fed up with the fumblings in front of him he took the game by the scruff and others followed.
Vaughan showed yet again that he is a better attacker than a defender and those that imagine that he is a rock at the heart of the defense is mistaken. But he ll probably be left there and it the help of God is unlikely to meet as good a footballer as Emlyn Mulligan again anytime soon. Keane and Keegan are great additions.
We had something like 13 different scorers and there is some difficulty reconciling our total score with the poor return of our corner men. A Gooch, Brogan or O Neill would have bagged 1-6 or 2-5 or something like that? Or maybe not. Our game is set up for runners to get on the end of things. Hence the scorers from deep. The best our corner man can expect is a finishing pass. Andy finished 2 and Freeman would have got 2 also if Keegan had squared the ball that he managed to kick over the bar after being fouled. We re just not set up to be isolating and finding our corner forwards with long balls so I m not sure it really matters who we play in there. My preference would be Conroy and Freeman probably. Yesterday Doc and Andy played inside with Freeman deeper on the point. We also dont play with a recognisable chf playmaker that I thought Cillian O Connor might be. His role seems to be keep out of the way, let the runners do their stuff, try to get on the end of things and kick the frees.

Not too sure about the subs policy yesterday. Feeney did well. He usually does. Boyle needs a game to have more intensity it would appear. Not sure we needed 3 corner forward subs though. Is it just to keep them sweet? What good did it do to give Conoreen and Varley a run. I would have like to see us blood a couple of young backs in the last 15 and the game over. Keith and Ger Cafferkey didn t need to be there then. McHale and Michael Walsh would have meant more to than a token run to a couple of old forwards.

Kevin McLoughlin continues to be brilliant and I thought Dillon was good yesterday.

Cosmo Kramer

In fairness, Barry's not exactly an unbreakable plate himself Moysider.

Regarding subs, I imagine he changed forwards rather than backs because those are the places that are up for grabs the next day (and the next day is the only thing that matters, it's a mistake to look at anything else other than Sligo at this point).

Also it's highly questionable what there would have been to gain from bringing on full back line players when pretty much all they would have done is spent 15 minutes standing there watching the play continue up the other end of the field. They'd have a better view from the sideline where they were sitting. In terms of defenders there was only good reason to bring on half backs, and in that regard they brought on the sub who is nearest the first 15, Richie Feeney.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

macdanger2

Ddidn't make the game yesterday but a good result for us. Tough on Leitrim and it's going to be hard for them to regroup for a round 2 qualifier.

On the full forward line, can someone who was there explain why the FF line didn't score more?

Not showing for the ball?
Beaten to it?
Got it but put it wide?
Ball not being played in - I'd suspect this may have been the reason in which case is it hard to blame Freeman / Doc / Andy?

From the radio, it sounded like Conroy showed well and got a good bit of ball when he came on.

Orchardman

Can the ulster and connaught champs meet before the all ireland final? Donegal are the only team i can see to stop mayo this year when both teams get on a roll. Cork and dublin have had their big days. What a great final for the north west

moysider

Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on June 25, 2012, 07:51:48 PM
In fairness, Barry's not exactly an unbreakable plate himself Moysider.Regarding subs, I imagine he changed forwards rather than backs because those are the places that are up for grabs the next day (and the next day is the only thing that matters, it's a mistake to look at anything else other than Sligo at this point).

Also it's highly questionable what there would have been to gain from bringing on full back line players when pretty much all they would have done is spent 15 minutes standing there watching the play continue up the other end of the field. They'd have a better view from the sideline where they were sitting. In terms of defenders there was only good reason to bring on half backs, and in that regard they brought on the sub who is nearest the first 15, Richie Feeney.

Exactly. I was including him in the brittle brigade. His continued fitness is something to be celebrated.

Take you re point about the subs but remember there is a full round of club championship next week. We re only a couple of injuries away from Walsh and McHale being starters against Sligo. Still think they should have been thrown in.