Mayo v Leitrim - 24-6-12

Started by Farrandeelin, June 09, 2012, 12:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbbeySider

Quote from: moysider on June 15, 2012, 12:41:20 AM
No wonder Sniper, Abbeysider and others don t bother any more.
Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 15, 2012, 02:38:04 AM
Geez, if only abbeysider was still active, he'd have hit you with a ream of nonsense by now. ;D

Dont worry Lar, I am keeping a tight eye on ye from afar, and I might rise from the ashes yet  ;)

Tubberman

Team named:

Mayo (Connacht SFC semi-final v Leitrim 24/6/2012): David Clarke (Ballina Stephenites); Kevin Keane (Westport), Ger Cafferkey (Ballina Stephenites), Keith Higgins (Ballyhaunis); Lee Keegan (Westport), Donal Vaughan (Ballinrobe), Colm Boyle (Davitts); Barry Moran (Castlebar Mitchels), Danny Geraghty (Ballintubber); Kevin McLoughlin (Knockmore), Cillian O'Connor (Ballintubber), Alan Dillon (Ballintubber); Alan Freeman (Aghamore), Andy Moran (Ballaghaderreen), Jason Doherty (Burrishoole).

Defence as expected, nailed down at this stage.
I'd imagine people will be surprised with the midfield pairing! Delighted to see Danny Geraghty getting his chance, hope he does well. But it's an inexperienced pairing at this level - despite Barry Moran being around for 7 years now, I don't think you could call him an experienced intercounty midfielder.
Cillian at CHF is another interesting one. It's where a lot of people would see him in the future, but he lacks a bit of pace and his form wasn't great in the league. He's been playing well for Ballintubber though, so hopefully he carries that through.
Freeman and Doherty must be going well in training, because they wasn't setting the world alight in the league, didn't even feature that much. Doherty scored well in one of the challenge matches so he must be doing it in training as well.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

rosnarun

QuoteDoherty scored well in one of the challenge matches so he must be doing it in training as well.
so dod Kirby and hasnt been seen since

A strong selection . Midfields was always going to come down to who were the fittest pair on the day but This is Geraghty' cchance to prove himself once  the  ose's and Macgarrity are fully fit he may find it hard to get another chance
Best of luck to him
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

TyrionLannister

Mayo should worry about Barry Morans pace and mobility, or lack thereof around the middle, but he may get away with it on Sunday.

I would like to say that its a big test for the new faces in defence but I wouldnt expect much trouble from the Leitrim forwards. Mayo will learn more about their defence in the if they get to the Connacht final.

O Connor is not a centre forward.

moysider

Quote from: TyrionLannister on June 20, 2012, 02:07:30 PM
Mayo should worry about Barry Morans pace and mobility, or lack thereof around the middle, but he may get away with it on Sunday.

I would like to say that its a big test for the new faces in defence but I wouldnt expect much trouble from the Leitrim forwards. Mayo will learn more about their defence in the if they get to the Connacht final.

O Connor is not a centre forward.

Why not?

TyrionLannister

Dont think he has the legs to chase and track runners from centre forward.
Neither does he have the legs to get up and down the pitch to help the ball out of defence, and then get back up on an top of an attack.
I dont think he has the pace and penetration to run at a defence from deeper positions.
Whereas he may be a decent distributor and passer of the ball, he has better instincts for scoring.
He is more of a goal scorer than a break winner.
He engineers space for himself and others inside, rather than having to eat up and fill spaces at centre forward.

I thought that much was plain as day.

Why do you ask?

Lar Naparka

No surprises in the defence.  The attack is more or less as I would have expected. Bit of a surprise that Conoreen is omitted. This is Doherty's chance to stake his place on the side. I think the other five are there on form but some of the placings is interesting.
I don't know if the midfield pairing will be up to the task required but it seems they are the best available.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

moysider

Quote from: TyrionLannister on June 20, 2012, 02:31:40 PM
Neither does he have the legs to get up and down the pitch to help the ball out of defence, and then get back up on an top of an attack.
I dont think he has the pace and penetration to run at a defence from deeper positions.
Whereas he may be a decent distributor and passer of the ball, he has better instincts for scoring.
He engineers space for himself and others inside, rather than having to eat up and fill spaces at centre forward.

Why do you ask?

Just wonderin. I d go the complete opposite. If he doesn t have the pace for 11 forget about inside. Pacier lads like Doherty and Freeman often struggle to win their own ball never mind him. And if you can t win ball it s no use how much a goal sniffer you are because the chances will be few and far between. If he s a good enough passer he won t have to worry about tracking back. Great 11s like Blaney and McGuigan were no olympic sprinters.

TyrionLannister

Quote from: moysider on June 20, 2012, 02:45:19 PM
Just wonderin. I d go the complete opposite. If he doesn t have the pace for 11 forget about inside. Pacier lads like Doherty and Freeman often struggle to win their own ball never mind him. And if you can t win ball it s no use how much a goal sniffer you are because the chances will be few and far between. If he s a good enough passer he won t have to worry about tracking back. Great 11s like Blaney and McGuigan were no olympic sprinters.

He has enough of pace over 5, 10, 15 yards to get on the ball, and even if he is not out in front he seems to shift he weight, use his hips and nudges to make enough of space to get on the ball inside. My point was that he doent have the pace over longer runs, which was implied in what I wrote.

Also saying that "if he s a good enough passer he won t have to worry about tracking back" is simply hilarious; what is the centre back has the ball from a short kickout, movement out of defence, or decides to run forward in support?

Does a centre forward think to himself "Nah, I dont have to track back, sure I am a great passer! "

That does not make any sense

moysider

Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 20, 2012, 02:33:53 PM
No surprises in the defence.  The attack is more or less as I would have expected. Bit of a surprise that Conoreen is omitted. This is Doherty's chance to stake his place on the side. I think the other five are there on form but some of the placings is interesting.
I don't know if the midfield pairing will be up to the task required but it seems they are the best available.

Are you suggesting that Doherty is not on form ;) It looks like Geraghty is selected because he s the most naturally defensive of what is available. I expect he will be holding while the half back line cuts loose and attacks at will. The corner men are there to get goals hopefully at the end of moves after their markers have been pulled away.

moysider

Quote from: TyrionLannister on June 20, 2012, 02:52:54 PM

He has enough of pace over 5, 10, 15 yards to get on the ball, and even if he is not out in front he seems to shift he weight, use his hips and nudges to make enough of space to get on the ball inside. My point was that he doent have the pace over longer runs, which was implied in what I wrote.

Also saying that "if he s a good enough passer he won t have to worry about tracking back" is simply hilarious; what is the centre back has the ball from a short kickout, movement out of defence, or decides to run forward in support?

Does a centre forward think to himself "Nah, I dont have to track back, sure I am a great passer! "

He s smart and reads situations well but against intercounty defenders they ll still get in front over the 5 - 15 yards. It been happening (even at u21 this year) and on summer pitches it ll be evn more obvious. Horan thinks so too and there were signs even last year that it was going to be 11 or nowhere. Of course he ll have to track back as best he can but if he can play at eleven his own man will have his hands full most of the time. Dillon is no speedmerchant but gets away with craft in hf line.

Interesting that in a brief interview with Andy in the Western People, Higgins nominated the fastest while he reckoned himself and O Connor were the slowest.

TyrionLannister

Quote from: moysider on June 20, 2012, 03:10:37 PM
Quote from: TyrionLannister on June 20, 2012, 02:52:54 PM

He s smart and reads situations well but against intercounty defenders they ll still get in front over the 5 - 15 yards. It been happening (even at u21 this year) and on summer pitches it ll be evn more obvious. Horan thinks so too and there were signs even last year that it was going to be 11 or nowhere. Of course he ll have to track back as best he can but if he can play at eleven his own man will have his hands full most of the time. Dillon is no speedmerchant but gets away with craft in hf line.

Interesting that in a brief interview with Andy in the Western People, Higgins nominated the fastest while he reckoned himself and O Connor were the slowest.

I have seen defenders play in front of the lad and take their eyes off him and he makes a fool out of them.
I can see him being switched inside before half time.
Andy has enough over 5, 10, 15 yards, no mare than Cillian. Its the longer sprints that kill them both.

joemamas

Quote from: TyrionLannister on June 20, 2012, 02:31:40 PM

Why do you ask?

Agree about O Connor not being a centre half forward. He needs to be closer to goal. Mcguigan and Blaney were faster over first 10 yeards IMO.

I hope Freeman and Doherty come through and give us some options, but cannot get past Freeman's poor performances last year in similar role. Will not win too many 50-50 balls. Against Cork last year was very poor and was eventually used as a third midfielder and Andy Morna was left inside by himself. I also think Doherty lacks a burst of speed needed in todays football.

One thing about Horan & Co is that they will make tactical moves very quickly, which will be a big advantage as we (hopefully) progress in the summer.

Farrandeelin

Interesting midfield pairing. B Moran not too hot yet this year but he mihjt shine on Sunday. Hope he does. Perhaps Doherty has rediscovered his form of Spring 2011. If not, there are other forwards such as Conroy and Mortimer to bring on. Happy about settled defence. I'll post more later on.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 20, 2012, 03:51:57 PM
Interesting midfield pairing. B Moran not too hot yet this year but he mihjt shine on Sunday. Hope he does. Perhaps Doherty has rediscovered his form of Spring 2011. If not, there are other forwards such as Conroy and Mortimer to bring on. Happy about settled defence. I'll post more later on.

How many more chances is B.Moran going to get??? In my opinion he's not suited at FF or MF. Grand against Leitrim, but against Cork the last day................a different story.