ROSCOMMON v GALWAY, CONNACHT SFC

Started by Shrewdness, May 11, 2012, 11:07:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 20, 2012, 05:27:08 PM
Quote from: moysider on May 20, 2012, 05:19:36 PM
Roscommon new found urgency didn t last long. This is very poor. Only still watching because I m trying to avoid mowing the lawn.

There's begining to be an echo in the ground, looks like there are a few gone home to mow their lawn!

Our other peoples (Ballaghaderreen  ;)  )
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

seafoid

Quote from: seafoid on May 20, 2012, 05:31:49 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on May 20, 2012, 05:28:05 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 20, 2012, 04:59:35 PM
Nice to see galway motoring again. I hope we get meath in the qualifiers.

Galway have to be favourites for Connacht after this performance.
Sligo beat Galway in 2007 so Mayo have to be favs. It's a pity Ros couldn't
put up a stronger performance. 14 points in it. Very disappointing.

Farrandeelin

At least it wasn't a 20 point hiding...
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

armaghniac

Spillane reckons Galway play "Crossmaglen style". Perhaps Big Joe did leave a legacy there.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

sligoman2

very disappointing performance by Roscommon.  I expected more.

Roscommon seemed unfit, second to the ball and dare I say it, looked disinterested.

We have our work cut out for us, Galway are big and fit and with Joyce and Meehan back, we must be rank outsiders to beat them at Salthill.

Roscommon need to get their heads back into it or they will have a short spell in the qualifiers.

It was nice to see open football with direct kicks into the FF lines and no nasty stuff.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

From the Bunker

Galway look good, no harm. Have been lying in the long grass for about 8 years. They have to be careful listening to Spillane about playing nice football. Nice football is nice to look at but it will not get you through the big games in Croke Park.

Cosmo Kramer

So much bluster from Roscommon fans here and elsewhere in the last month or two. For this team?! They haven't moved on from their 09 beating in Castlebar at all. They're every bit as bad now. The 'best forwards in Connacht' are hopelessly slow and immobile. A horrible day levelled the playing field in last years Connacht Final and kept the score respectable and added to a fluke Connacht title the year before gave an inaccurate view of their standing. They are a mid table Division 3 team for a reason.

Galway on the other hand are boiling nicely. They'll fancy their chances for Connacht from here, and have every reason to.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

sans pessimism

New year,same old SG,with same old boring Spillane anecdotes ::)
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Cosmo Kramer

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 20, 2012, 05:40:56 PM
Galway look good, no harm. Have been lying in the long grass for about 8 years. They have to be careful listening to Spillane about playing nice football. Nice football is nice to look at but it will not get you through the big games in Croke Park.

I doubt Galway (or anyone else for that matter) are stupid enough to listen to anything that gobshite says.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on May 20, 2012, 05:44:40 PM
So much bluster from Roscommon fans here and elsewhere in the last month or two. For this team?! They haven't moved on from their 09 beating in Castlebar at all. They're every bit as bad now. The 'best forwards in Connacht' are hopelessly slow and immobile. A horrible day levelled the playing field in last years Connacht Final and kept the score respectable and added to a fluke Connacht title the year before gave an inaccurate view of their standing. They are a mid table Division 3 team for a reason.

Galway on the other hand are boiling nicely. They'll fancy their chances for Connacht from here, and have every reason to.

I'd take it easy on Roscommon. They fully deserved their title in 2010 and were close to Mayo last year. Really the goals killed the Rossies confidence. And had Shine had his free taking boots on there may have been a game. To further progress both teams would need to forget the last 20 minutes of the game. Galway (I Think) will not get as much time to show composure in the later stages of the Championship, so a word of care not to expect to much from the new batch.

moysider

Des Newton just said that it was 'understandable' that the Roscommon players just played out the last 20 mins.

I m sorry, but if Des really thinks that then he s in the wrong job.

From the Bunker

Quote from: sans pessimism on May 20, 2012, 05:47:26 PM

Play in the quick long ball to the full forward line. Yawn!

Tubberman

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 20, 2012, 05:59:08 PM

I think he was going overboard in his praise for Galway as well. As you said, they play 'nice' football, but you have to take into account how bad Ros were. That allowed Galway to make hay, there's no chance they'd be given those opportunities against the top teams, even Mayo.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Cosmo Kramer

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 20, 2012, 05:55:44 PM

I'd take it easy on Roscommon. They fully deserved their title in 2010 and were close to Mayo last year. Really the goals killed the Rossies confidence. And had Shine had his free taking boots on there may have been a game. To further progress both teams would need to forget the last 20 minutes of the game. Galway (I Think) will not get as much time to show composure in the later stages of the Championship, so a word of care not to expect to much from the new batch.

I dont know, I can't reconcile the team we saw today with what we were told we would see by Syferus and others. You can't brush off a 15 point beating as a bad day at the office. Every team has bad days but if your bad days result in beatings like this then you'd have to conclude that you wouldn't be good enough on your good days either. FOD was clearly getting the maximum possible out of this team. He knew it too and walked away, an AI runner up set of 21s won't turn that mess around on their own.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Tubberman on May 20, 2012, 06:08:56 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on May 20, 2012, 05:59:08 PM

I think he was going overboard in his praise for Galway as well. As you said, they play 'nice' football, but you have to take into account how bad Ros were. That allowed Galway to make hay, there's no chance they'd be given those opportunities against the top teams, even Mayo.

Galway won their last AI in 2001. Ironically the Game took a dramatic change the next couple of years with the use of the blanket defence. Galway still hold their own in Connacht where you are allowed to play football. But they have not won a game outside of Connacht since 2004 and have only beaten louth since 2002. This is because mentally they have not adapted to the change. Anyway well done to Galway today, they did what they had to do.