EURO 2012

Started by CCCP1, April 26, 2012, 07:29:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Declan

Quote(Not nit picking) Do you mean the fans?

Yes. The fans have really been the story

give her dixie

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/mark-steel/mark-steel-three-years-in-jail--thats-some-red-card-for-mahmoud-sarsak-7866526.html

Mark Steel: Three years in jail – that's some red card for Mahmoud Sarsak

I guess the Palestinians were trying that old terrorist trick of becoming a national football team

The footballer of the week, setting up the most unlikely victory, is Mahmoud Sarsak, who plays for Palestine. Because three years ago, he was travelling to the West Bank to join his team when he was arrested by the Israelis and put in jail. If the match he was supposed to be playing in was on television, the coverage would have started with Ray Winstone's spinning head saying, "Odds coming up now", and a caption, "Never seen again – 6-4".

For three years he stayed in jail, though he was never charged and no one was told why he was detained, until this week when the Israelis announced he was part of "Islamic Jihad". So one possibility is this was organised to help the manager explain his selection process. Roy Hodgson would find it so much easier if he could answer questions about why he didn't pick Rio Ferdinand by saying, "because he's in the armed wing of the People's Brigade for Freedom in Chechnya, and that can create discord in the dressing room".

But Mahmoud's treatment followed a pattern. Since the Palestine team were recognised by football's official bodies in 1998, they've faced many similar problems. In 2006, they were top of their World Cup qualifying group when the entire team was refused a visa for their match with Uzbekistan. I suppose this must be because the whole team was in Islamic Jihad, and they were employing that old terrorist trick of becoming the national football team, then qualifying for the World Cup finals from where it's a simple step to start an insurrection.

This problem of the players not being allowed to go to games created tactical difficulties, with the manager forced to experiment with a 0-0-0 formation that never quite came off (though I think they did draw with Scotland using this system). It also suggested the Palestinian team was a reflection of the Palestinian state, a body in name only with few of the powers a normal state holds, and that can be prevented from operating at all whenever the Israelis choose to do so.

It wouldn't have been surprising if analysis of their games went, "Palestine didn't once get into the final third of the opposition's half, and if we show you this bit of play you'll see why. There's a 50ft high wall built around the 18-yard box with a two-hour wait before being allowed to pass through the checkpoint, and the forwards just couldn't penetrate that sort of defence."

After three years in jail, Mahmoud Sarsak went on a hunger strike, and his case was supported by the international footballers union, and by Eric Cantona, and by the world football body Fifa. So on Monday, the Israelis agreed to release him, creating jubilation across his country. When he comes out, we'll know he's a footballer, as he'll say "Obviously, it's a great result for the lads but there's a long way to go and we've just got to take it one abhorrent incarceration at a time."
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

AQMP

Results of the Guardian readers' poll (the figures are the rating each player got):

BEST XI

GK: Manuel Neuer (Germany) 7.47
RB: Theodor Gebre Selassie (Czech Republic) 6.70
CB: Mats Hummels (Germany) 7.93
CB: Daniel Agger (Denmark) 7.50
LB: Fabio Coentrao (Portugal) 6.90
RM: David Silva (Spain) 7.00
CM: Sami Khedira (Germany) 7.30
CM: Andrea Pirlo (Italy) 7.20
LM: Andrés Iniesta (Spain) 7.67
ST: Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Sweden) 7.40
ST: Mario Mandzukic (Croatia) 7.40

WORST XI

GK: Shay Given (Ireland) 4.47
RB: Gregory van der Wiel (Holland) 4.43
CB: Richard Dunne (Ireland) 4.90
CB: Sean St Ledger (Ireland) 5.00
LB: Stephen Ward (Ireland) 4.00
RM: Arjen Robben (Holland) 4.47
CM: Nigel de Jong (Holland) 4.67
CM: Glenn Whelan (Ireland) 4.17
LM: Aiden McGeady (Ireland) 4.43
ST: Robbie Keane (Ireland) 4.17
ST: Robin van Persie (Holland) 4.93

BEST PLAYER COUNTRY BY COUNTRY

Poland Robert Lewandowski 6.60
Greece Giorgios Karagounis 6.27
Russia Alan Dzagoev 6.63
Czech Rep Theodor Gebre Selassie 6.70
Holland Wesley Sneijder 6.03
Denmark Daniel Agger 7.50
Germany Mats Hummels 7.93
Portugal Fábio Coentrão 6.90
Spain Andrés Iniesta 7.67
Italy Andrea Pirlo 7.20
Ireland Keith Andrews 5.10
Croatia Mario Mandzukic 7.40
France Hugo Lloris 6.17
England Steven Gerrard 7.10
Ukraine Andriy Yarmolenko 6.37
Sweden Zlatan Ibrahimovic 7.40

AZOffaly

It says a lot when Stephen Ward beats out that young Willems lad for worst left back. He was atrocious.

Billys Boots

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 21, 2012, 09:41:53 AM
It says a lot when Stephen Ward beats out that young Willems lad for worst left back. He was atrocious.

Beat me to it AZ.  If Willems was rated higher than Ward then there's something wrong with the assessment system.  Though I'd agree that Hummels is the player of the tournament so far. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

screenmachine

How the hell did Ibrahimovic get in there?  Done nothing for two games!  I'd have had Gomez in there instead of the big strop...

Gerrard could also have an argument to be included with three great assists in three games, Scott Parker has put in  a few big shifts as well, doing a lot of the ugly stuff very effectively.
I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.

ziggy90

Ibrahimovic has had a great tournament. He's as strong as a bull and can play a bit as well. Gomez was my pick as top scorer the main reason being the team he's playing in. As a target man there can't be any better around (waits for the bullet) than Zlatan.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

ludermor

Quote from: Leo on June 19, 2012, 12:27:33 AM
Quote from: laoislad on June 18, 2012, 09:47:30 PM
King Kenny is looking for a job  8)

Do you mean Paddy Kenny, one of the best goalies in the premier league last year, who is apparently no. 5 or 6 - or even 7 - behind Given, Westwood, (Sunderland no, 3) Forde (milwall sub), Randolph, Unc le Tom Cobley & all in the pecking order for the keeper's jersey ....
Journeymen in the Championship like Fahey get more mention on this board
Seems a surprise that QPR would be looking to sign another  goalie considering they already have one of the best goalies in the premier league. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18531050

Rossie11

Ibrahimovic was excellent in games v Ukraine and France. His finish V France was pure class.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Billys Boots on June 21, 2012, 10:24:59 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on June 21, 2012, 09:41:53 AM

Beat me to it AZ.  If Willems was rated higher than Ward then there's something wrong with the assessment system.  Though I'd agree that Hummels is the player of the tournament so far.

Stephen Ward was absolutely brutal.

Not only that but he gave up for the second Torres goal. He actually gave up.

Based on that I'd not have him near the Ireland squad ever again. To go out on that stage and give up is unforgiveable.

EC Unique

Potugal look lively.

Captain Obvious

The winner of this game won't win the tournament.

ziggy90

They do indeed. I hate that cheating cnut Nani, why on earth, with all his talent, does he have to resort to that cheating shite of his I don't know. Portugal should have had this wrapped up by now, is there a twist in the tail?

ziggy90

Great goal, nothing more than Portugal and Ronaldo deserve.

EC Unique

Good goal. It was coming.