Does Anybody Really Care About The Titanic? Really Like? Really?

Started by Applesisapples, April 12, 2012, 03:42:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

The late non-appearance of JP Morgan on-board, sounds very like the telephone calls to certain politicians on 9/11 and 7/7, not to attend certain places in New York and London.

Getting rid of opposers to the Federal Reserve who were on-board was a bonus.

armaghniac

My Dad worked in the shipyard in WW2. Some of the guys still there had worked on the Titanic. But they rated the Olympic, the Titanic was basically a copy, the engineering challenges came with the first one.

The ship was not believed to entirely unsinkable, but people believed that it would sink slowly, and so rescue ships could arrive. The compartment thing was designed for a head on collision, the compartments may even have been a disadvantage for an iceberg ripping along the side of the ship. Oddly enough if they had rammed the iceberg, everyone would have felt the collision but the ship might have taken longer to sink. In this case the prow of the ship would have been wrecked, but probably only the first two compartments, and it would have stayed afloat. One problem was the quality of the steel and the rivets in the hull, which were not the best. They knew this, as the Olympic had already had a collision and suffered some damage to the hull.  But still it took an improbable combination of bad luck to sink Titanic.

The unsinkable thing lead to there being not enough lifeboats. Perhaps the evacuation wasn't as good as it should have been, but without lifeboats did it really matter?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Applesisapples

Still sick to my hole listening to it. Sorry EG I now truly believe the shipyards were a bastion of religious and political tolerance, there was no such thing as a Protestant Parliament for a Protestant People and I also believe in Santa. But sarcasm aside I have no problem with the Titanic except it was a disaster and tragedy for those drowned, but the Irish, masters of the Moral Victory believe it's worth celebrating. And our press including the Beeb and UTV are in overkill overdrive.

pintsofguinness

QuoteThe Titanic was built for JP Morgan - the Bill Gates of his day - after H&W brought him to Belfast. There was not another shipyard in the world capable of building so large a ship and even then H&W had to build the world's biggest dry-dock for the purpose.
I can understand why H&W would be an attraction, the place where the titanic was built etc but I'm always a bit confused about what exactly we're suppose to be celebrating, is that it then?
Considering the shipyard's history I wouldn't be crowing too much. 

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Rois

I am going to Titanic - The Musical in the Opera House. Just about to open a bottle of wine to prepare myself.

Agent Orange

Quote from: Rois on April 14, 2012, 02:15:12 PM
I am going to Titanic - The Musical in the Opera House. Just about to open a bottle of wine to prepare myself.

You should have a cup of Titanic tea and maybe a packet of Tayto Titanic crisps before you go. I am sure there are other Titanic products.

If the wine goes down as well as the ship you'll have a great day. (Isn't it a bit early to be starting on the wine?)

pintsofguinness

I'd have a second if I was you!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

dillinger

Quote from: Agent Orange on April 14, 2012, 02:22:26 PM

You should have a cup of Titanic tea and maybe a packet of Tayto Titanic crisps before you go. I am sure there are other Titanic products.

If the wine goes down as well as the ship you'll have a great day. (Isn't it a bit early to be starting on the wine?)
Tayto Crisps, my fav. Though not them ones from the South. Northern Tayto are better. You can, apart from taste tell the difference from both, the Ulster crisps are a bit of an orange colour. :)

Tony Baloney

Quote from: hardstation on April 14, 2012, 11:17:24 PM
It may be about to kick off on twitter....

@TitanicRealTime
There's a vibration in the cabin and not a sex toy to be found.

Minder

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 14, 2012, 11:18:14 PM
Quote from: hardstation on April 14, 2012, 11:17:24 PM
It may be about to kick off on twitter....

@TitanicRealTime
There's a vibration in the cabin and not a sex toy to be found.

National Geographic have been doing it for a couple of weeks now on Twitter.

#Titanic100live
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

armaghniac

Programme on More4 now. Bad rivets used in the curved parts of the ship because they were easier to put in manually and the machine couldn't curve.  :-\
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Onion Bag

I am sick to the teeth listening about the titanic, couldn't give a flying f**k as someone has already said we must be the only place in the world to celebrate failure. This place in Belfast that was opened apparantly has to get 300,000 people through the door every year to make it worthwhile. It will be another White elephant like the millennium dome, another big waste of tax payers money
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!