All Ireland U21 Championship 2012

Started by Rossfan, April 11, 2012, 07:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: ross matt on April 23, 2012, 09:45:29 PM
Joyce in my opinion the best forward I've ever seen and I include Canavan and Maurice Fitz.
Ja? Definitely the best forward in the country by the end of '98..
Mikey D? Do we really have to explain that one?
Savage?
Thats not even mentioning Finnegan...
Between 98/01 they were among the best forwards in the country never mind Connacht.
Kilbride, Shine & Cregg have done the business in Croker against very good defences like Tyrone's and Cork over the last 2 years. I was at the Tyrone game last year and defenders the calibre of Mcmahon.... Gormley etc found them difficult to hold.
I think Andy Moran is a brilliant footballer and leader. But I dont think he is an out and out scoring forward. Mort blows hot and cold. Padraig Joyce is still brilliant but surely no longer for 70min of top class football.
I think the 3 Rossie's I've named would cause problems for any backline. We dont have the midfield and our defenders are no where near as good as Mayo's. But time will tell. If they have everyone back fit and ready for the championship I think Roscommon have an outside chance of a senior connacht title or at least a good run in the qualifiers.

Kilbride, Shine & Cregg combined scored 0-6 from play against Tyrone. David Brady scored 0-3 against them at their peak........from midfield............as a sub.
MWWSI 2017

INDIANA

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on April 23, 2012, 04:24:31 PM
There is no chance imo of dublin winning this easy, roscommon dont concede much. The dub/cork game was very open and loose, roscommon will not afford dublin near the same space. I could see roscommon frustrating dublin to the point of making it a close game. Not sure if roscommon can get enough ball to their inside line though. Should be interesting.

think we'll win 0-13 to 0-9. Something along those lines. Certainly wont be high scoring. Having watched the videos Ros put  a lot of lads behind the ball so I'd expect it to be tight for about 45 mins or so.

Dineen was a a very good player and he's proven to be an astute manager.

Syferus

Quote from: INDIANA on April 23, 2012, 10:48:33 PM
There is no chance imo of dublin winning this easy, roscommon dont concede much. The dub/cork game was very open and loose, roscommon will not afford dublin near the same space. I could see roscommon frustrating dublin to the point of making it a close game. Not sure if roscommon can get enough ball to their inside line though. Should be interesting.

think we'll win 0-13 to 0-9. Something along those lines. Certainly wont be high scoring. Having watched the videos Ros put  a lot of lads behind the ball so I'd expect it to be tight for about 45 mins or so.

Jaysus, you must really rate us if you think we can stick with the All-Stars for three quarters of an hour.  :D

Crete Boom

Quote from: Syferus on April 23, 2012, 10:53:44 PM

Jaysus, you must really rate us if you think we can stick with the All-Stars for three quarters of an hour.  :D

Ah sure he's only being kind to you. How could a team from the junk status province be expected to do any thing but keep the ball kicked out. Mind you you'll probably have to steal a couple of those balls to sell for some spuds on the way home to west of the Shannon!! ;)

(Make sure you get enough spuds for us too)

ross matt

Quote from: muppet on April 23, 2012, 10:47:05 PM
Joyce in my opinion the best forward I've ever seen and I include Canavan and Maurice Fitz.
Savage?
Between 98/01 they were among the best forwards in the country never mind Connacht.
Kilbride, Shine & Cregg have done the business in Croker against very good defences like Tyrone's and Cork over the last 2 years. I was at the Tyrone game last year and defenders the calibre of Mcmahon.... Gormley etc found them difficult to hold.
I think Andy Moran is a brilliant footballer and leader. But I dont think he is an out and out scoring forward. Mort blows hot and cold. Padraig Joyce is still brilliant but surely no longer for 70min of top class football.
I think the 3 Rossie's I've named would cause problems for any backline. We dont have the midfield and our defenders are no where near as good as Mayo's. But time will tell. If they have everyone back fit and ready for the championship I think Roscommon have an outside chance of a senior connacht title or at least a good run in the qualifiers.

Kilbride, Shine & Cregg combined scored 0-6 from play against Tyrone. David Brady scored 0-3 against them at their peak........from midfield............as a sub.

Yeah but that doesn't count. David Brady is superhuman (ask Stephenite) and his Clark Kent alter ego is Enda Kenny.

Crete Boom

Quote from: ross matt on April 24, 2012, 07:37:17 AM
Quote from: muppet on April 23, 2012, 10:47:05 PM
Savage?

Yeah but that doesn't count. David Brady is superhuman (ask Stephenite) and his Clark Kent alter ego is Enda Kenny.

That's Blasphemy Ross matt David Brady is God not superhuman there's a big difference  >:( and sure you can't being throwing digs at Enda didn't he promise ye a hospital! By the way muppet God started that game against Tyrone but was forced to apologise to the Mayo squad afterwards because he didn't stick to the tactics laid down by our genius general Maughan whose game plan didn't entail the great one dominating his opponent and midfield or scoring any points to turn the game in our favour.

Crete Boom

All joking aside I think that's a fair assessment of the form lines coming into this although I do think there's is a goal each in both teams even in a defensive battle. Also I just have a feeling the rossies will shade it.

ross4life

Quote from: Crete Boom on April 25, 2012, 12:29:26 PM

All joking aside I think that's a fair assessment of the from lines coming into this although I do think there's is a goal each in both teams even in a defensive battle. Also I just have a feeling the rossies will shade it.
If we hold Dublin to just 0-13 i would fancy our chances to win. In truth Dublin will score a goal or two & we'll have to up our scoring average if we want to pull off a shock.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

macdanger2

Anyone who fancies the rossies should get onto their bookies, the spread is 4 points.

On another point, if the Rossies are feeling confident, they should back themselves at 15/8 to beat the herron chokers........

Syferus

Quote from: macdanger2 on April 25, 2012, 11:36:57 PM
Anyone who fancies the rossies should get onto their bookies, the spread is 4 points.

On another point, if the Rossies are feeling confident, they should back themselves at 15/8 to beat the herron chokers........

Who said we haven't already put  all our ill-gotten gains from building hundreds of ghost estates on the game already? Soon Andy won't be the only Rossie enjoying the Portuguese sun.  ;)

macdanger2

Cos if there was that much cash on ye, the bookies would have shortened the odds dramatically!!!

Syferus

Quote from: macdanger2 on April 25, 2012, 11:44:21 PM
Cos if there was that much cash on ye, the bookies would have shortened the odds dramatically!!!

1,270,603 vs. 64,065

'Tis like the Battle of Thermopylae, only this time the de Spartans are gonna win.

Blowitupref

Some amount of money put on the Dubs. Current odds Dublin 1/5 Roscommon 9/2
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Denn Forever

Come on Roscommon.  It'll be a tough task but best of luck.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Daddy_Cool

Quote from: Blowitupref on May 02, 2012, 05:12:31 PM
Some amount of money put on the Dubs. Current odds Dublin 1/5 Roscommon 9/2
Madness! I never gamble but just stuck a few euros on Roscommon at that price.