All Ireland U21 Championship 2012

Started by Rossfan, April 11, 2012, 07:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross matt

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on April 23, 2012, 04:42:36 PM
Quote from: muppet on April 23, 2012, 03:53:56 PM
Quote from: ross4life on April 23, 2012, 03:51:00 PM
The point put across was we have natural scorers. Take a look at Wexford,Longford both have forwards as good as others in leinster but will that be good enough to beat Kildare or Dublin? probably not.

This was precisely the point put across:

Quote from: ross matt on April 22, 2012, 08:41:38 PM
We may not have the best forward unit in Connacht but in Shine, Kilbride and Cregg I think we have 3 individual forwards who are better than anything else in Connacht.

In fairness that was complete fantasy island stuff alright.

Really? Is it? You do know Ja is retired dont you?

Syferus

That's it! Let's fekkin' decimate them mentally and we'll walk through them on the field!

Where's Kevin at? Oh, Sligo, I see.
Sean Og? Ha!
The Michaels, Meehan and Donnellan?

At least you still have Joe.

(I apologise in advance.)

Jinxy

I thought all you Connacht lads would get behind the Rossies.
Where's the love?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Syferus

Quote from: Jinxy on April 23, 2012, 07:37:24 PM
Where's the love?

A particularly bad session in The Fiddler's Elbow in Ballagh after the 2006 Ros/Mayo dual AI bids led to an end of AI truces.

GalwayBayBoy

Where's the love?

I hope they beat the Dubs but it's one thing saying that and another believing that they have the 3 best forwards in Connacht. Sure when we were winning All-Ireland's I don't even think we had the 3 best forwards in Connacht.

Crete Boom

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on April 23, 2012, 04:24:31 PM
There is no chance imo of dublin winning this easy, roscommon dont concede much. The dub/cork game was very open and loose, roscommon will not afford dublin near the same space. I could see roscommon frustrating dublin to the point of making it a close game. Not sure if roscommon can get enough ball to their inside line though. Should be interesting.

Have to agree with Sligonian (jeez there's an unusual sentence :o) , the rossie's defence has impressed me in this championship and if the can isolate Smith and Compton inside supplied with quick accurate ball they'll be right in it. The Dubs will be favorites no doubt but not by much and if the rossies get a early goal it could really set the cat amongst the pigeons. They might have been a few verbals from my fellow county men the last couple of days but come the final we'll all be roaring you on to victory well I'll will be anyway.

ross4life

Quote from: Syferus on April 23, 2012, 06:55:11 PM
The final has been confirmed for Tullamore, 2pm, May 5th. Absolutely fabulous for Roscommon supporters, hopefully everyone will turn out now that the AI final is so near. What level of support will Dublin bring?
May 6th you mean?
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on April 23, 2012, 08:04:20 PM
Where's the love?

I hope they beat the Dubs but it's one thing saying that and another believing that they have the 3 best forwards in Connacht. Sure when we were winning All-Ireland's I don't even think we had the 3 best forwards in Connacht.
How very modest. Galway's forward lines that won those All Ireland's in 1998,2001 was every bit as good as any i have witnessed.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Syferus

Where's the love?

Only one person said they were the three best. What everyone else said was they were three of the top six scoring forwards in the province. The only other players that'd be in that picture for me would be Mort, Joyce, David Kelly, and maybe Andy Moran, who I think is easily one of the very best forwards in the country, but it's debatable if he could be classified as a 'natural scorer'.

I'd think the only players outside of that that have shown a natural touch are Cillian O'Connor (mostly from placed balls), Adrian Marren, Alan Costello, Nicky Joyce and Sean Armstrong. The idea that Cregg, Shine and Kilbride are every bit in the same echelon as any of the players listed isn't far-fetched at all.

Dougal

Quote from: ross4life on April 23, 2012, 08:23:17 PM
The final has been confirmed for Tullamore, 2pm, May 5th. Absolutely fabulous for Roscommon supporters, hopefully everyone will turn out now that the AI final is so near. What level of support will Dublin bring?
May 6th you mean?
Where's the love?

How very modest. Galway's forward lines that won those All Ireland's in 1998,2001 was every bit as good as any i have witnessed.

afaik the final has been fixed for the 5th for at least the last week.what makes you think it's the 6th?

if dublin bring the same sort of support they brought to the u21 final 2 years ago the rossies will easily outnumber them 2/1.
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

Jinxy

Where's the love?

The 3 fashtest maybe.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

ross4life

Dougal, the final was fixed for May 5th when the U21 fixtures first came out but now it's on GAA.ie for May 6th & our own website has the same date.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Syferus

Quote from: ross4life on April 23, 2012, 08:40:32 PM
Dougal, the final was fixed for May 5th when the U21 fixtures first came out but now it's on GAA.ie for May 6th & our own website has the same date.

So it's Sunday now? Strange that they'd switch the final to Sunday, even if it is a bank holiday weekend. I can't wait for a replay of one of this weekend's NFL finals to push us off the live schedule again, if that's the case!

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: ross4life on April 23, 2012, 08:23:17 PM
May 6th you mean?
Where's the love?

Oh they were good alright but Ciaran McDonald was still in Mayo so you would have had to have him in the top 3 at least.

ross matt

Joyce in my opinion the best forward I've ever seen and I include Canavan and Maurice Fitz.
Ja? Definitely the best forward in the country by the end of '98..
Mikey D? Do we really have to explain that one?
Savage?
Thats not even mentioning Finnegan...
Between 98/01 they were among the best forwards in the country never mind Connacht.
Kilbride, Shine & Cregg have done the business in Croker against very good defences like Tyrone's and Cork over the last 2 years. I was at the Tyrone game last year and defenders the calibre of Mcmahon.... Gormley etc found them difficult to hold.
I think Andy Moran is a brilliant footballer and leader. But I dont think he is an out and out scoring forward. Mort blows hot and cold. Padraig Joyce is still brilliant but surely no longer for 70min of top class football.
I think the 3 Rossie's I've named would cause problems for any backline. We dont have the midfield and our defenders are no where near as good as Mayo's. But time will tell. If they have everyone back fit and ready for the championship I think Roscommon have an outside chance of a senior connacht title or at least a good run in the qualifiers.

INDIANA

Quote from: Dont Matter on April 23, 2012, 01:04:15 PM
Dublin in another underage All Ireland final. Shows what 7 million euro can buy you.
In the 20 years prior to receiving the cash bonanza they appeared in 5 underage All Irelands, hurling and football.
Since then they've been in 6 and counting! You can see the real effects of the money shining through recently with 5 of those finals since 2010.
No one ever mentions the cash injection though. It's existence has being ignored. Not many people even know about it.
WHY IS ONE COUNTY ALLOWED TO BUY ALL IRELANDS?

4m revenue per championship game in Croke Park. I'd love to know how many of your development teams of yours our fans have funded