Mayo V Kerry- 8/4/12

Started by Sam2011, April 05, 2012, 02:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sans pessimism

Quote from: maigheo on April 15, 2012, 08:18:37 PM
reading the comments over on wjs blog you would think it was an allireland semi final that was won today.I am sure if mayo lost today there would be plenty of choker comments on here.The talk of kerry bottling it today is rubbish-they lost a hard fought game that they should have won by 1 point.I an sure James Horan will not be getting carried away with todays result but it is always very satisfying to win a game in croker and I am sure they will enjoy it for a few days.
....but didn't.Makes a pleasant change
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

emmetryan

I've put together a tactical analysis piece on Mayo's win over Kerry today for anyone interested.
http://action81.com/blog/?p=5691
writer of the Tactics not Passion series at Action81.com

Crete Boom

Quote from: emmetryan on April 15, 2012, 10:09:23 PM
I've put together a tactical analysis piece on Mayo's win over Kerry today for anyone interested.

Nice analysis emmetryan good to hear that a Mayo team pressurised a kerry team rather than stand and watch. Great win for the lads but while it's nice to beat Kerry in Corker what I as a Mayoman would really like to see is another performance like today because 1996 is the last time I can remember us putting in 2 high intensity performances back to back in Croker. As for the talk of Kerry being bottlers , I think that's a little unfair. It's just more like they have come back into the pack a little while the challengers like Cork/Dublin have got closer in terms of conditioning and talent and unless we can sustain our improvement and go on and win the league title the next day I would still have us in the upstarts bracket a long with Kildare/ Donegal i.e can trouble any of the big guns on our day but still struggle for that cold clinical consistency in August/September that brings home Sam!!

From the Bunker

Quote from: Crete Boom on April 15, 2012, 10:42:20 PM

Nice analysis emmetryan good to hear that a Mayo team pressurised a kerry team rather than stand and watch. Great win for the lads but while it's nice to beat Kerry in Corker what I as a Mayoman would really like to see is another performance like today because 1996 is the last time I can remember us putting in 2 high intensity performances back to back in Croker. As for the talk of Kerry being bottlers , I think that's a little unfair. It's just more like they have come back into the pack a little while the challengers like Cork/Dublin have got closer in terms of conditioning and talent and unless we can sustain our improvement and go on and win the league title the next day I would still have us in the upstarts bracket a long with Kildare/ Donegal i.e can trouble any of the big guns on our day but still struggle for that cold clinical consistency in August/September that brings home Sam!!

Why, oh why are people afraid to call it as it is? Kerry have had handsome leads going into the last couple of minutes of their last two games in Croker and ended up losing. This is not boasting about how great Dublin or Mayo were in these games. It's saying that Kerry Cannot close out games like they used to. Part of that is making mistakes, Freigning injury, not attacking, etc.

emmetryan

I think that's a fair assessment Crete Boom. Mayo clearly have the talent to get it done in one-off situations and look more capable of putting together a run than in previous seasons but until they actually put together that kind of run there will still be doubts.
writer of the Tactics not Passion series at Action81.com

moysider

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 15, 2012, 10:53:26 PM

Why, oh why are people afraid to call it as it is? Kerry have had handsome leads going into the last couple of minutes of their last two games in Croker and ended up losing. This is not boasting about how great Dublin or Mayo were in these games. It's saying that Kerry Cannot close out games like they used to. Part of that is making mistakes, Freigning injury, not attacking, etc.

They usedn t have to against us! Games over after 20. Remember.

What do you want from Kerry From the Bunker? Most of our players played some of their best football today and still only got over the line by a point aet against these bottlers. What does that say about us?

moysider

I d go along with that Crete Boom.

Farrandeelin

What was the attendance today does anybody know? Smallest crowd in HQ in quite a while.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

blast05

QuoteMost of our players played some of their best football today

Just about Moysider.
Donal Vaughan, Barry Moran, Jason Gibbons, Jason Doherty, Martin Conroy will all come away from that game not being all that happy with their performances. Others only played in patches, e.g. our hf line went missing for the 3rd quarter of the game.
I thinking you are over-egging your efforts to keep a lid on the usual euphoria. However, it is not the contributors on this board that you need to be influencing so much - with 1 or 2 obvious exceptions.

Attendance ... just over 11K (which surprised me - i thought it was less)

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 15, 2012, 11:33:07 PM
What was the attendance today does anybody know? Smallest crowd in HQ in quite a while.

What did you make of the numbers, being there Deelin. The bro. was there as well and said about 7,000 or less. Maybe not even 5 grand.

The final is in CP too, so more of the same. I can t see many travel to that, from here or Cork. Tyrone and Kildare will get a few more but the reality is these double headers are not that attractive a proposition unless you live next door. If we were to play in Ennis or Limerick with a decent crowd, it would be a bit of a buzz. It s going to be very difficult to get people travel to that.

johnpower

well done Mayo today had the greater hunger when it mattered. Jack will have plenty to keep him busy with for the next month or so. It will be an intersteing final Cork will be looking for revenge for last year.

Attendance poor Kerry will be disappointed but have to learn that they have to drive on.

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on April 15, 2012, 11:46:45 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 15, 2012, 11:33:07 PM

What did you make of the numbers, being there Deelin. The bro. was there as well and said about 7,000 or less. Maybe not even 5 grand.

The final is in CP too, so more of the same. I can t see many travel to that, from here or Cork. Tyrone and Kildare will get a few more but the reality is these double headers are not that attractive a proposition unless you live next door. If we were to play in Ennis or Limerick with a decent crowd, it would be a bit of a buzz. It s going to be very difficult to get people travel to that.

Sure ye love the big finals in Croke Park, what are ya ravin' about!  ;)

Croke Park is way easier to get to than most venues that are nearer because of trains and the Luas, I'd prefer it on convenience over alot of other places. The only issue is, obviously, crowd size.

Crete Boom

From the Bunker I see what you are getting at about Kerry letting leads slip but in my opinion it's due more to miles on the clock/fatigue rather than mental frailty. Even the great teams become stale over time just look at tyrone! At the same time I don't begrudge any of us celebration after a great fightback against Kerry after what we have suffered against them on big days over the past 15 years but what we all crave is Sam and we need to operate at this high level on a consistent basis to achieve this. That said it's nice to arguing over the manner of our defeat of kerry ,maybe just maybe it's a sign of things to come?  Mhaigheo abu

nephinman

Just finished watching game again on the auld sky box, still feels great and I nearly got on a bus this morning for Croker, instead went to see the mammy  :-[

Good game, taken very seriously by both camps & only inches in it. Big win for a reasonably young Mayo team. Leaders seem to be emerging which were not there for many's the year. Whatever hapens in the final (and I fear playing Cork) this team should continue to grow in confidence & belief after winning this game in the manner they did. Something of a Meath team 80's/90's feel about it. And while I want to be fair, there is a touch of "going down too easy" from kerry players and playing dead in the last 2/3 years. (IMO  ???)

But yes as someone mentioned above, after the league final there is the bread and butter of Letrim/London to build towards.

Anyway what a nice spring day it was  :)

Nite all

moysider

Quote from: blast05 on April 15, 2012, 11:41:32 PM
QuoteMost of our players played some of their best football today

Just about Moysider.
Donal Vaughan, Barry Moran, Jason Gibbons, Jason Doherty, Martin Conroy will all come away from that game not being all that happy with their performances. Others only played in patches, e.g. our hf line went missing for the 3rd quarter of the game.
I thinking you are over-egging your efforts to keep a lid on the usual euphoria. However, it is not the contributors on this board that you need to be influencing so much - with 1 or 2 obvious exceptions.

Attendance ... just over 11K (which surprised me - i thought it was less)

Vaughan - Thought he played well. Yeah he was rowing with ref and stuff but he was always where the threat was and trying to do something. He didn t go awol.

Gibbons - In at the deep end the last 2 weeks he s done well. He s hardly played. A welcome development considering most of our other midfielrders are injury prone. He did a good shift today.

Barry Moran. Said it before. The lad is stuck to the ground, yet he looked like gold last Sept/Oct. If he s not fit then he can t play anywhere, ff or midfield.

Michael Conroy. With Boyle the best success story we ve had this league. Won early free for Mort. A brill pass for another Mort point. Another cushy pass for another point. Taking him off left me gobsmacked. Management have to forget about this lark of replacing Conroy.

Jason Doherty. Has been used sparingly by management. He has always looked like an opportunist rather than a creative focus for an attack. I thought he would be picked at 14 for this on how things were panning out and I wouldn t be hard on him.

It s still a new management and we re still winging it at times re. tactics and structure. We re getting more right than wrong now. Thats good because between 2006-10 we got f**k-all right ( I m sure likes of Maradonna is out there to differ - or maybe not).  We re doin well but the great thing is we ve got to a league final with great enthusiasm and a bit of structure. Imagine if we got serious about it!