Mayo V Kerry- 8/4/12

Started by Sam2011, April 05, 2012, 02:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam2011

Looking forward to this game. I hope Kerry send out a decent enough team so they can give our lads a good test.
I would like to see a similar enough team from us again. Maybe move Barry Moran out to midfield and drop Geraghty (although hes done nothing wrong so far). I'd like to see Freeman or Doherty in the Full Forward line instead of Barry Moran because we've been lacking the goal threat that we did last year and both of those lads need to rediscover their form.
Another thing I'd like to see us do is play to the end regardless if we are winning or loosing. Against the Dubs we only scored 4 points (2 from play) in the last 34Min's of the game and in the Cork game we were out scored 8-2 in the last 20Min's. I know that we are behind other teams in terms of fitness due to us not starting the championship until the 24th of June but I hope its solved by then.

moysider

Will Cafferkey get straight back in for this one?

We appear to be getting a settled look about us. A lot earlier than usual.

Keegan, Higgins, Vaughan, Cafferkey look nailed down starters.

On current form Boyle and Keane too. The return of Cunniffe and Trevor and Richie Feeney would give options. Shane McHale there also.

Midfield is Aidan and whoever is going best. Barry Moran would be the one if he can get back to where he was in county final.

There s one place in the forwards as things stand. Dillon, Andy, McLoughlin, Mort and Conroy have places to lose.

That s how I see it at the moment but things evolve depending on results etc. Btw is there any Setanta game this weekend or do all games throw-in on Sunday at the same time? Is this one tevevised?

Tubberman

Quote from: moysider on April 05, 2012, 04:36:56 PM

Is this one tevevised?

No, you'll have to make do with mid-west if you can't make the journey:

GAA Beo 14:00 Live coverage of Cork and Dublin from the 7th and final round of the Allianz Football League. Deferred coverage of Galway and Kildare. Presented by Micheal Ó Domhnaill with commentary by Brian Tyers.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Sam2011

Not sure about Cafferkey. I would like to see McHale start ahead of him though to give him more experience.
I would agree with the team you have named and the bench is looking strong enough too.
Think the League Show on RTE 2 might have highlights of the game.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Sam2011 on April 05, 2012, 05:22:13 PM
Not sure about Cafferkey. I would like to see McHale start ahead of him though to give him more experience.
I would agree with the team you have named and the bench is looking strong enough too.

Can't wait for League Sunday. ::)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Tubberman

Caff has to still be first choice fullback at the moment, but I was very impressed with McHale against the Dubs. I'd like to see him get another run.
Could possibly be FB line of Keane, Caff, McHale with half backs of Boyle/Keegan, Vaughan, Higgins.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Farrandeelin

Regardless of team selection, this one will tell us where we are at. Which I suppose if we lose hopefully we can rectify the wrongs before championship, if we manage to get a win which I'm not expecting it would give the team an extra week of games and could only boost morale within the camp. It's an ideal game for us, because despite Kerry being through to the league semi-finals, they are still the team to beat in this league and fair play to Armagh for managing to do what all others have failed to do in this division.

I must say I was impressed with Caff against Cork, but putting my own saffron and blue tinted glasses I'd love to see McHale get a bit of game time on Sunday. I'm not sure if he will though, but he hasn't let me down (yet) on either of his two outings. I'd leave the same half-back line in situ for the rest of the year to be honest. If the Feeney brothers are good enough or if any of the three get too complacent, then I'd draft Richie Feeney in. I cannot for the life of me understand how Gardiner is getting preference to Richie Feeney, ach sin scéal eile.

I must say I was impressed with all of the forwards the last day. They tracked back, worked hard and got on a lot of breaking ball. They also scored points from all types of angles which was great to see, but it wasn't against Kerry and it was only the last day of March.

If the team work as hard as they did lst Sunday then we should have a close game. Hopefully Aiden O'Shea and whoever partners him in midfield can keep up the effort for the next game. Six games in as many weeks may take it's toll though on them. I hope I'm wrong on the last point though.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Quote from: Tubberman on April 05, 2012, 05:04:26 PM
Quote from: moysider on April 05, 2012, 04:36:56 PM

Is this one tevevised?

No, you'll have to make do with mid-west if you can't make the journey:

GAA Beo 14:00 Live coverage of Cork and Dublin from the 7th and final round of the Allianz Football League. Deferred coverage of Galway and Kildare. Presented by Micheal Ó Domhnaill with commentary by Brian Tyers.

Ah ffs. Only chance of gettin on the telly is if against the Dubs. As mid-west is worse than unlistenable ( I really could not face another game of that shite) it s a chance to bring the kids on that long promised fishing trip. Anyway a win would be nice. A semi final would be another test match before the champiponship.

moysider

Quote from: Tubberman on April 05, 2012, 08:53:51 PM

Caff has to still be first choice fullback at the moment, but I was very impressed with McHale against the Dubs. I'd like to see him get another run.
Could possibly be FB line of Keane, Caff, McHale with half backs of Boyle/Keegan, Vaughan, Higgins.

Remember McHale was nowhere near fullback against Dublin. He was playing 5 as much as anything - his old minor position. So it is not as simple as McHale or Caff for 3.

I think McHale would do a good job at full back though on certain types of players. He might struggle on smaller faster corner men and runners in half forward line. How would he do on likes of Kevin McLoughlin or Conor Mort? But on a big slower target man he could be the business.

Keegan has been a big plus for me. I think eventually he could be a great 6 but his ability to put the brakes on McManamon was one of the performances of our league campaign for me. Sunday I would like to see him given the responsibility of marking Darren or Gooch if he s around.

I too was thinking that maybe finally, some day soon, just maybe we might be able to play Higgins at 5,6 or 7.

Say full-back line of Keegan, McHale and Cafferkey. And half-back line of Vaughan, Higgins and Boyle. You d have to play at least one sweeper though because those 3 would be driving on all the time! That s a line up for a pitch opening in early June.

outthecountry

Kerry team is as follows....don't know half of them......Kelly, Enright, Young, McGuire, Crowley, Brosnan, Lyne, Maher and Donaghy, O'Callaghan, BJ Keane, Buckley, Cooper Paddy Curtin and O'Leary

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 05, 2012, 09:14:49 PM
Regardless of team selection, this one will tell us where we are at. Which I suppose if we lose hopefully we can rectify the wrongs before championship, if we manage to get a win which I'm not expecting it would give the team an extra week of games and could only boost morale within the camp. It's an ideal game for us, because despite Kerry being through to the league semi-finals, they are still the team to beat in this league and fair play to Armagh for managing to do what all others have failed to do in this division.

I must say I was impressed with Caff against Cork, but putting my own saffron and blue tinted glasses I'd love to see McHale get a bit of game time on Sunday. I'm not sure if he will though, but he hasn't let me down (yet) on either of his two outings. I'd leave the same half-back line in situ for the rest of the year to be honest. If the Feeney brothers are good enough or if any of the three get too complacent, then I'd draft Richie Feeney in. I cannot for the life of me understand how Gardiner is getting preference to Richie Feeney, ach sin scéal eile.

I must say I was impressed with all of the forwards the last day. They tracked back, worked hard and got on a lot of breaking ball. They also scored points from all types of angles which was great to see, but it wasn't against Kerry and it was only the last day of March.

If the team work as hard as they did lst Sunday then we should have a close game. Hopefully Aiden O'Shea and whoever partners him in midfield can keep up the effort for the next game. Six games in as many weeks may take it's toll though on them. I hope I'm wrong on the last point though.

I don t want to pick a fight with you Deelin but selection is everything. If a fella cant pick players he s wasting his time with a team. Like s of Micko and Boylan always picked players in the right place - and in the right year. Mostly our managers never did and that is the most reason we are beating ourselves up still.

You were in Ballyshannon and in CastlebarX2, I know. Selection was more important than attitude and workrate ,heavy training, fellas drinking and any amunt of old clichés, for turning about our fortune in the league about.  I ve posted enough about it already. Yeah and Aidan O Sé available again.

We have done something last couple of weeks that I ve never seen before. We did match-ups on opposition better players and did things like target opp. discipline. We played a decoy at fullfward ( I suspect he was not fit to play midfield) and the corner men flourish. Mayo usedn t put this thought into AI finals ffs! A welcome development.

Kerry are already in semis. If we can compete with Donaghy and Maher around  midfield and get forward ball and stuff we could make a semi and League players are playing themselves into the championship which is something that is also a welcome development. Hopefully the winter/summer team scenario is a thing of the past. I would like to see a situation where likes of Richie F, Trevor, Cuniffe, a few midfielders, and forwards like O Connor and Freeman will have to burst themselves to start/make a contribution this summer.

Lar Naparka

The thing that strikes me most about Mayo's involvement in the present league is the big drop off in interest amongst the fans on this board. I suspect it's the same as well with Mayo followers elsewhere.
Some old reliable are conspicuous by their absence and others have cut back drastically on their previous output—a bit like Mickey Noonan with the government coffers.
With regard to the Kerry game I'd have expected at least half dozen pages by now. But there are only four committed Mayo fans in before me and that's out of a total of more than 60 that were active last year and the game is nearly upon us.
I dunno.
Maybe I'm failing to read the signs and complete and utter disaster is awaiting us at the next game. ;D
I don't think so but I'm still intrigued at the low level of response all the same.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

blast05

Well I'm still alive and interested anyway !!!  and disgusted that it's not on TV cos a trip down with wife and kids for the weekend was on the cards until I thought "flip that, it'll be on TV, I'll go down later in the year"! ...
No time to post comments...... as kid number #2 pulls at my legs to 'to go outside and kick ball'

mannix

I reckon mayo will be fairly close in this one, Kerry already qualified and all that. Someone mentioned goals, dead right, a goal or two would make things a lot easier against Kerry and the likes, and they always seem to want goals against us to soften us up. Doherty should be played for that alone, we should be aiming for goal a lot more since we have the players that can get them, and we wont kick 20 points every game.
Best of luck to them ,some turn around if we win after the donegal episode.

muppet

Quote from: Lar Naparka on April 06, 2012, 09:58:27 AM
The thing that strikes me most about Mayo's involvement in the present league is the big drop off in interest amongst the fans on this board. I suspect it's the same as well with Mayo followers elsewhere.
Some old reliable are conspicuous by their absence and others have cut back drastically on their previous output—a bit like Mickey Noonan with the government coffers.
With regard to the Kerry game I'd have expected at least half dozen pages by now. But there are only four committed Mayo fans in before me and that's out of a total of more than 60 that were active last year and the game is nearly upon us.
I dunno.
Maybe I'm failing to read the signs and complete and utter disaster is awaiting us at the next game. ;D
I don't think so but I'm still intrigued at the low level of response all the same.

I see this as a good sign. Normally after thumping the AI champions we would be booking hotels for AFTER the Final in Sept. Then, as we saw against Donegal, a loss caused despair beyond belief and calls for various careers to end and heads to roll. A bit of calm wouldn't go amiss in Mayo.
MWWSI 2017