Titanic Exhibition

Started by Oraisteach, April 01, 2012, 07:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheamy

Quote from: Maguire01 on April 01, 2012, 11:17:14 PM
It's all set up for big conferences and banqueting as well. You can have weddings there too. As for visitors, apparently it will need 290,000 visitors /year to break even - and that's deemed realistic.

I'm not sure of the proportion of public v private funding for the Odyssey, but there was plenty of public money in there too. Titanic was funded £60m public and £17m private.

Apart from its business potential, I think it's a great piece of architecture and really adds to the city.

Are you serious? A wedding in an industrial wasteful with the stench from a rotten lough in your nostrils? Rather you than me!

The whole Titanic thing is crap. Utter crap. Pursuing a confused business come tourist zone about three times the size of Canary Wharf which would take billions and many decades to complete. A total mess and that's before you get into the legacy of the shipyards and what they represented.

The odyssey is a pile of crap too. Multi-million pound facility for spides to party in on Saturday nights and for Canadians to earn money f*cking about on an ice-rink now and again. It's totally empty 90% of the time. It's all a North Down gold coast fantasy wonderland devoid of any reality. Chin chin everyone...

Rois

Quote from: sheamy on April 02, 2012, 09:23:44 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on April 01, 2012, 11:17:14 PM
It's all set up for big conferences and banqueting as well. You can have weddings there too. As for visitors, apparently it will need 290,000 visitors /year to break even - and that's deemed realistic.

I'm not sure of the proportion of public v private funding for the Odyssey, but there was plenty of public money in there too. Titanic was funded £60m public and £17m private.

Apart from its business potential, I think it's a great piece of architecture and really adds to the city.

Are you serious? A wedding in an industrial wasteful with the stench from a rotten lough in your nostrils? Rather you than me!

I know someone who has booked his wedding for the Paint Hall. 

sheamy

lol...the big aircraft hanger yoke used for film sets?! Is he an actor?

(Now that was actually a clever use of what's there in that area. For films I mean, not weddings  :) )

Rois

Hmmm, maybe not then, he's quite posh.  Must be the fancy banqueting rooms. 

sheamy

Unless I'm wrong...this is what I thought the Paint Room is

Wedding photos look well there Rois  :) It could be the other big red brick place along the road a wee bit (dunno what you call it, H&W drawing office or something maybe). I think they were making that into  a hotel or something. Looks like an asylum from the front.

front of the mountain

Is it me or its a bit ironic that spent all this money celebrating a major disaster known around the world?? Next thing they will be naming airports after alcoholic wife beaters...... :P

heganboy

got a wee tour of the place last week with a couple of Americans on their first trip to Belfast. I thought it was first class, the set up is phenomenal, the technology running the thing is better than I've ever seen, the 3D immersive stuff is unreal. The top floor is done as a banquet hall for functions and they have already more than 40 booked. The Americans raved about the place to everyone they met on London later in the week and we have already booked the room for a corporate function for our EU operation later this year.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Declan

As the DUP speaker at the Blueshirt Ard Fheis joked at the weekend "The Titanic as alright when it left Belfast" ;)

oisinog

This is going to bring extra money to Northern Ireland. The visitiors are going to spend there money in other areas not just on the Titanic. Even if it makes a loss every year it is filling hotels in belfast which will result in helping our local buisness

fingerbob

Reminds me of the St Patrick's centre in Downpatrick although on a much bigger scale obviously. It's been a massive drain on the council in the past decade.

Canalman

Springfield Monorail comes to mind.

Exterior looks grim (admittedly it probably is a highly unflattering photograph).

heganboy

not sure you're looking at the right picture???

looks pretty good to me...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

ziggysego

It looks like the bloody ice berg it hit!
Testing Accessibility

Agent Orange

Maguire01

Quote from: Canalman on April 02, 2012, 05:00:35 PM
Springfield Monorail comes to mind.

Exterior looks grim (admittedly it probably is a highly unflattering photograph).
The exterior looks great - brilliant design.