Titanic Exhibition

Started by Oraisteach, April 01, 2012, 07:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oraisteach

Has anyone been to see it?  Is it worth visiting?  Any thoughts about it?

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Maguire01

So cynical ziggy. A lot of people said the same thing about the Odyssey, did they not?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Maguire01 on April 01, 2012, 08:33:35 PM
So cynical ziggy. A lot of people said the same thing about the Odyssey, did they not?
I'm sure it didnt cost the guts of 100 million. Would be interested in the payback forecasts for this new place. Belfast could be under water by then!

glens abu

It will keep the Unionists happy,big part of their culture ;)sinking

Maguire01

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 01, 2012, 08:38:25 PM
I'm sure it didnt cost the guts of 100 million. Would be interested in the payback forecasts for this new place. Belfast could be under water by then!
It cost £120m... and that was 12 years ago.

Minder

Quote from: Maguire01 on April 01, 2012, 08:51:16 PM

The difference, in my opinion, is that the Odyssey is set up for people to continually come back, pubs, restaurants, bowling, cinema not to mention the concerts. Will people keep coming back to the Titanic exhibition after ten years, after all the hoopla of the anniversary passes? How much public money was used to build the Odyssey, genuinely asking as I don't know.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Tony Baloney

Did it really? Crazy money for something less than spectacular. I'm sure they could have built it for half that.

oakleafgael

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 01, 2012, 09:22:30 PM
Did it really? Crazy money for something less than spectacular. I'm sure they could have built it for half that.

It wasnt really, neither contractor involved made anything apart from the P.R. Its an expensive part of the country to work with the ground conditions.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

not my cup of tea, i have always found the whole subject boring but to be fair it did look good on tv

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on April 01, 2012, 09:46:47 PM
not my cup of tea, i have always found the whole subject boring but to be fair it did look good on tv
Have you stumbled into the wrong thread sir?

Gazzler

Nothing like celebrating failure is there ::)
Do they know the ship sank?

Maguire01

Quote from: Minder on April 01, 2012, 09:13:43 PM

The difference, in my opinion, is that the Odyssey is set up for people to continually come back, pubs, restaurants, bowling, cinema not to mention the concerts. Will people keep coming back to the Titanic exhibition after ten years, after all the hoopla of the anniversary passes? How much public money was used to build the Odyssey, genuinely asking as I don't know.
It's all set up for big conferences and banqueting as well. You can have weddings there too. As for visitors, apparently it will need 290,000 visitors /year to break even - and that's deemed realistic.

I'm not sure of the proportion of public v private funding for the Odyssey, but there was plenty of public money in there too. Titanic was funded £60m public and £17m private.

Apart from its business potential, I think it's a great piece of architecture and really adds to the city.

Tony Baloney

I believe the mooted full scale replica of the Titanic had lined up mostly private backing. Would have been some sight if they had gone ahead.

Eamonnca1

Such cynicism. Titanic wasn't the only ship built in Belfast.  Shipbuilding is a big part of the city's industrial heritage. There wasn't much industry in the rest of Ireland at the time by comparison to the engineering and linen industry in Belfast; it was Ireland's only major industrial city while most other people in the country were gathering pig-feed, milking cattle, and living like bogtrotters.  For better or worse it's worth educating visitors and tourists about that.  What's Dublin's claim to fame?  A f**king brewery. That about sums it up.