Armagh vs Donegal - Sunday 8th April 2012

Started by Armaghgeddon, March 25, 2012, 04:17:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armaghgeddon

I take it the Crossmaglen players will become available?

BennyCake

I'd say they would, but most will be on the bench.

The Real Gael

would you stay loyal to those that showed the spirit and fight to beat down or would you bring them straight back in?? Tricky one as most of the cross lads will probably be partying for a few days win or lose. Its a must win game though, am I right in saying Armagh could actually still make the top 4?

Shortso79

yes if results go armaghs way - 4th place is possible - i would be happy with 6th place and div 1 survival

Armaghgeddon

Don't think I could name a team without Jamie Clarke and Aaron Kernan. Clarke alone would cause havoc in Donegal's full back line.

DuffleKing

Have you seen donegal play lately? If we beat them it won't be thru our full forward line. Really doesn't matter who plays inside - they'll be surrounded.

mountainboii

Quote from: The Real Gael on March 25, 2012, 09:28:42 PM
would you stay loyal to those that showed the spirit and fight to beat down or would you bring them straight back in?? Tricky one as most of the cross lads will probably be partying for a few days win or lose. Its a must win game though, am I right in saying Armagh could actually still make the top 4?

Some of them will, some won't. The likes of Aaron Kernan and Jamie Clarke wouldn't be going mad and could easily come straight back in; Johnny Hanratty maybe not so much. I'd say they'd have to make an appearance at training in the week leading up to the game to be considered, and it's probably up to the lads individually whether they want to make that effort or take some time off. We could do with the two aforementioned lads, and maybe David McKenna as well, considering how light we are for bodies in certain areas of the field. Clarke was having the craic on the bench at the Down game, I reckon he'll be coming straight back.

PAULD123

Armagh do not need any more players to beat Donegal. They just need the players they have to play with the same attitude as they did on Saturday night to win the game. Clarke is a different class and Kernan adds power to the attack. But I think it would be disrespectful to the players who took the field on Saturday to say that they would have improved the performance by a great amount. Armagh didn't waste many opportunities. It's not like you would say that Clarke would have got some of the 5 or 6 chances Rafferty missed. Because Rafferty didn't miss 5 or 6 chances.

However if Kernan and Clarke were there AND put in the shift that the other lads did on Saturday then yes they probably would have improved the result. But that was more than just an average performance or average commitment and no one deserved to have their place taken off them in that Armagh side.

Same attitude, same work-rate, same commitment against Donegal and Armagh will survive in the Division. But it has been a topsy turvy Division one this year. Will the players be able to lift themselves to the same level again?

LeoMc

Quote from: Armaghgeddon on March 25, 2012, 10:07:50 PM
Don't think I could name a team without Jamie Clarke and Aaron Kernan. Clarke alone would cause havoc in Donegal's full back line.

Don't think he would get away from all 9 of them. ???

brokencrossbar1

Jamie Clarke and David McKenna don't drink, AK, TK, SK are light drinkers as is Aaron Cunningham, Johnny, well less said the better ;)!!  I would imagine that Jamie and Aaron will certainly make themselves available and would surely add to the current team.  Titch would add to it if he had his right head on.  Will be interesting to see who is considered but they have a wee game to get out of the way first ;D  The one thing they will need to beat Donegal are hard runners who can create the overlap that's why the likes of AK and TK would be ideal for it. 

Harold Disgracey

I would like to see Aaron Cunningham get a run out against Donegal, in a half forward line along with Mackin and Anto Duffy. I'd be curious to see if this would work in advance of the championship game with Tyrone. I feel this option might curb the influence of Sean Cavanagh and Peter Harte. They are all strong, can compete on kick outs, work hard and can carry ball and link up well with defence.

Orior

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 26, 2012, 01:03:44 PM
Jamie Clarke and David McKenna don't drink, AK, TK, SK are light drinkers as is Aaron Cunningham, Johnny, well less said the better ;)!!  I would imagine that Jamie and Aaron will certainly make themselves available and would surely add to the current team.  Titch would add to it if he had his right head on.  Will be interesting to see who is considered but they have a wee game to get out of the way first ;D  The one thing they will need to beat Donegal are hard runners who can create the overlap that's why the likes of AK and TK would be ideal for it.

AK has great attacking qualities. Is his defensive abilities better than the other half backs?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

armaghniac

QuoteDon't think he would get away from all 9 of them. ???

In some of the Cross games it was notable that several backs were running to Jamie, who was  then successfully passing the ball to other forwards. So although he didn't score, the others made hay.

QuoteI would like to see Aaron Cunningham get a run out against Donegal,

The recent AI final wasn't Cunningham's best game, but he may do better this week.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Orior on March 26, 2012, 03:37:48 PM

AK has great attacking qualities. Is his defensive abilities better than the other half backs?

Yes and he has the engine and the drive that the other lads don't quite have.

regal

Jamie Clarke and David McKenna don't drink, AK, TK, SK are light drinkers as is Aaron Cunningham, Johnny, well less said the better ;)!!  I would imagine that Jamie and Aaron will certainly make themselves available and would surely add to the current team.  Titch would add to it if he had his right head on.  Will be interesting to see who is considered but they have a wee game to get out of the way first ;D  The one thing they will need to beat Donegal are hard runners who can create the overlap that's why the likes of AK and TK would be ideal for it

I would hardly call TK a 'hard runner' as he often gives me the impression that he hasn't the strength to stand up, never mind run. I would love to see the introduction of morgan, AK, j clarke and cunningham although from an interview I read a couple of weeks back Cunningham was looking for a bit of a break when cross finished up.