All Ireland contenders...

Started by EC Unique, March 25, 2012, 01:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on March 30, 2012, 07:14:05 PM
Quote from: Whishtup on March 30, 2012, 06:00:32 PM
Quote from: JP on March 30, 2012, 06:31:17 AM
Quote from: Whishtup on March 30, 2012, 01:13:39 AM
I'd say that, while most in Tyrone have enjoyed the performances during the league, we aren't expecting much this year.  Hard to see this team coping with the physicality of the likes of the Dubs at this stage.  While defensively sound, not clinical enough with our scores-R O'Neill will be missed.  Armagh on their day can beat anyone and we could well be threw out the back door on the first day.  I think that this would be a better route for this fledgling team.  I see Ricey was already talking about "Next Year" in a teamtalk interview-that's an indication as to where Tyrone are right now.
Can't see past The Dubs and Kerry-the only thing going against the Dubs is the chance of a fussy ref.   Donegal, Down, Armagh,Tyrone and Kildare are just behind them.   Mayo, Cork,Derry are next with Fermanagh as the dark horses for a quarter-final spot. 

As biased as I am... I don't see how Armagh can be rated above Cork and Mayo in anyone's book.

Armagh have shown that they can beat the big teams and are afraid of no-one-still have the Cross boys to come back.  Mayo haven't a hope-attitude stinks, and Cork are on the wain-depend a lot on Goulding being fit.

Far be it from me to stick up for our noisy neighbours but have Mayo not beaten more big teams in championship footbal in recent years than Armagh have?

Outside of Connacht, Just Cork last year! The O'Mahoney years were a disaster! You have to go back to 2006 under Mickey Moran when Mayo beat Dublin.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 30, 2012, 07:07:14 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 30, 2012, 03:51:11 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on March 30, 2012, 03:33:17 PM
Can i Just get on my Kildare are over-rated horse.

No.

Look Kildare are good copy, this conversation was had last year. They have won 17 championship games in 4 years, which is a pretty good record but have had some awful luck and don't think anyone would argue you do need those bounces to go your way to win an AI.

But who are these people that over-rate Kildare, certainly not their fans expect Ewen McKenna who constantly bigs up Kildare but I think he does that just to rile the Dubs. Kildare are probably the 2nd best team in Leinster and outside in a group with Donegal, Mayo and Armagh who could all beat other on any given Sunday but well behind the Big 3 plus Tyrone.

There is a reason Kildare win have won 17 championship games in 4 years, They are out of the Leinster Championship early.
Like the League, the Leinster Championship does not seem to be high priority to Kildare.

Kildare work hard, are fit, but lack the natural footballers to beat the better teams in tight games.

To be fair they are not AI title contenders, and i'm not sure if they'll have an influence on the eventual winner, untill they claim a big scalp.

Rubbish. The Kildare players would bite your arm off for a Leinster title. Of the current panel, only Dermot Earley, Johnny Doyle and Ronan Sweeney have Leinster medals. We've only won two Leinsters in a generation. We're hardly in a position to turn our noses up at a Leinster title.

The evidence of McGeeney's four championship seasons also doesn't bear this out:

In 2008, both the players and the management were very inexperienced. McGeeney picked a crazy team and Wicklow beat us handy. Wicklow should have beaten us in 2005 so it was no surprise and they were a decent outfit themselves at the time.

In 2009, Dublin beat us by three points in the Leinster Final after Kildare had easily accounted for Offaly, Laois and the previous years semi-finalists Wexford.

In 2010, Louth caught us cold in some respects. They destroyed a makeshift Kildare full-back line and dominated our midfield. The damage was done when a half-fit Earley was brought on. Louth themselves were a formidable outfit that summer as the Leinster Final proved.

In 2011, Kildare beat Wicklow and Meath before going down by a point to the team that went on to claim the All-Ireland.

To say that Kildare don't go all out in Leinster is complete nonsense. We've never lost in the backdoor under McGeeney but we've had to face some tough draws along the way - Limerick away in 2008 after they'd destroyed Meath down there, Wicklow in Portlaoise 2009 who had beaten Down in the previous round, Derry away in 2010, two local derbies away from home in 2011 against Laois and Meath. My own opinion of the Donegal match last year is that the schedule of games cost us. It was our fourth consecutive weekend out and the team put in such an effort to claw back a draw in normal time that they were simply knackered by the second period of extra time. We would have been in a much better position had we got to the quarter finals through the front door but we haven't been able to achieve that under McGeeney and I doubt now that we will. 2010 was our chance and we blew it.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

From the Bunker

Whishtup

Quote from: Zulu on March 30, 2012, 06:20:17 PM
Cork don't depend on goulding at all, Sheehan is a far for important player for their All Ireland chances. If they got rid of Counihan they'd be a much more formidable team. They still have plenty of top quality players but they seem to be stuck in a rut and there is little tactical nous on the sideline.

Goulding is a big-game player with experience and it's no accident that Cork's finest hours this past few years have come when he has hit form.  He has AI final Man of the match award and an allstar the year before  And he's only 25 or 26. 

JP

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 30, 2012, 07:44:01 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on March 30, 2012, 07:14:05 PM
Quote from: Whishtup on March 30, 2012, 06:00:32 PM
Quote from: JP on March 30, 2012, 06:31:17 AM
Quote from: Whishtup on March 30, 2012, 01:13:39 AM
I'd say that, while most in Tyrone have enjoyed the performances during the league, we aren't expecting much this year.  Hard to see this team coping with the physicality of the likes of the Dubs at this stage.  While defensively sound, not clinical enough with our scores-R O'Neill will be missed.  Armagh on their day can beat anyone and we could well be threw out the back door on the first day.  I think that this would be a better route for this fledgling team.  I see Ricey was already talking about "Next Year" in a teamtalk interview-that's an indication as to where Tyrone are right now.
Can't see past The Dubs and Kerry-the only thing going against the Dubs is the chance of a fussy ref.   Donegal, Down, Armagh,Tyrone and Kildare are just behind them.   Mayo, Cork,Derry are next with Fermanagh as the dark horses for a quarter-final spot. 

As biased as I am... I don't see how Armagh can be rated above Cork and Mayo in anyone's book.

Armagh have shown that they can beat the big teams and are afraid of no-one-still have the Cross boys to come back.  Mayo haven't a hope-attitude stinks, and Cork are on the wain-depend a lot on Goulding being fit.

Far be it from me to stick up for our noisy neighbours but have Mayo not beaten more big teams in championship footbal in recent years than Armagh have?

Outside of Connacht, Just Cork last year! The O'Mahoney years were a disaster! You have to go back to 2006 under Mickey Moran when Mayo beat Dublin.

That's still better then Armagh. We haven't been in the quarterfinals since 2008 and you have to go back to 2005 for our last semi-final appearance. Armagh haven't beaten a massive team since the Ulster final against Tyrone in 2005.

haranguerer

Dublin continue to be mentally weak - one thing to suffer a shock defeat, entirely another to suffer a shock hammering

Jinxy

I think we can add Mayo to the list.
Mayo4Sam.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Whishtup

Maybe they can prove me wrong but let's see them do that for two or three matches in a row.  Also can't see them do it against a seventeen-man Dublin team in Croke Park.(crowd+ref)

Jinxy

On their day they can beat anyone except Kerry.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

muppet

Quote from: Jinxy on March 31, 2012, 09:37:11 PM
On their day they can beat anyone except Kerry.

Sadly that seems to be our lot for the last decade or more.
MWWSI 2017

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: Whishtup on March 31, 2012, 09:29:19 PM
Maybe they can prove me wrong but let's see them do that for two or three matches in a row.  Also can't see them do it against a seventeen-man Dublin team in Croke Park.(crowd+ref)

Cop on to yourself..................

Not a chance Dublin are realistic contenders

Hammered in obyrne cup against kildare
Hammered by kerry in the league opener
Limped past laois
Stuffed by Down
Average performance against a bewildered armagh and the result against donegal was more than flattering
Hammered Hammered by Mayo

Not a chance  of contention

yellowcard

Based on League performances and the track of record of teams defending the AI title I think it is beyond Dublin to retain the title. Its between Kerry and Cork this year.

Canalman

Next day in Cork imo will be the true indicator of Dublin's worth this Spring.

I think that the hard training all teams are doing now (winding down maybe)throws up results like this. Thought Dubs were sharp against Donegal but were woefully sluggish tonight.
NFL1 a bit all over the shop this year .................. Armagh v Kerry and Dublin results for example.

Certain Dublin lads have to reign (sic) in their petulance....... especially one player.

Mayo look very good. "Galway 1998" feel about them imo.

Whishtup

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on March 31, 2012, 09:42:09 PM
Quote from: Whishtup on March 31, 2012, 09:29:19 PM

Cop on to yourself..................

Not a chance Dublin are realistic contenders

Hammered in obyrne cup against kildare
Hammered by kerry in the league opener
Limped past laois
Stuffed by Down
Average performance against a bewildered armagh and the result against donegal was more than flattering
Hammered Hammered by Mayo

Not a chance  of contention

Only match lost in Croke Park was against a hurting Kerry, and it was the first match of the season.  The Brogan's still have to come into the equation properly, too.  And the bookies have ye second favorites.  Croke park is the Lions den for every team at the minute, including Kerry.. Dublin were at three-quarter-pace against Mayo today.