All Ireland contenders...

Started by EC Unique, March 25, 2012, 01:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whishtup

I'd say that, while most in Tyrone have enjoyed the performances during the league, we aren't expecting much this year.  Hard to see this team coping with the physicality of the likes of the Dubs at this stage.  While defensively sound, not clinical enough with our scores-R O'Neill will be missed.  Armagh on their day can beat anyone and we could well be threw out the back door on the first day.  I think that this would be a better route for this fledgling team.  I see Ricey was already talking about "Next Year" in a teamtalk interview-that's an indication as to where Tyrone are right now.
Can't see past The Dubs and Kerry-the only thing going against the Dubs is the chance of a fussy ref.   Donegal, Down, Armagh,Tyrone and Kildare are just behind them.   Mayo, Cork,Derry are next with Fermanagh as the dark horses for a quarter-final spot. 

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Syferus on March 29, 2012, 10:34:17 PM
I'm biased but if the current Roscommon panel doesn't suffer huge injuries - and they've been getting progressively healthier all through the year so it seems like we're over the brunt of that - they will surprise alot of outsiders. Likewise, Longford are a serious outfit this year and I can see them cleaning a few clocks before Summer's end.
Longford or Roscommon are not All Ireland contenders or outsiders.

Syferus

Quote from: Captain Obvious on March 30, 2012, 01:43:29 AM
Quote from: Syferus on March 29, 2012, 10:34:17 PM
I'm biased but if the current Roscommon panel doesn't suffer huge injuries - and they've been getting progressively healthier all through the year so it seems like we're over the brunt of that - they will surprise alot of outsiders. Likewise, Longford are a serious outfit this year and I can see them cleaning a few clocks before Summer's end.
Longford or Roscommon are not All Ireland contenders or outsiders.

The conversation has lurched from Tyronemania to Dubs bashing to who are dark horses for the quarter-finals; what I said was fair game.

JP

Quote from: Whishtup on March 30, 2012, 01:13:39 AM
I'd say that, while most in Tyrone have enjoyed the performances during the league, we aren't expecting much this year.  Hard to see this team coping with the physicality of the likes of the Dubs at this stage.  While defensively sound, not clinical enough with our scores-R O'Neill will be missed.  Armagh on their day can beat anyone and we could well be threw out the back door on the first day.  I think that this would be a better route for this fledgling team.  I see Ricey was already talking about "Next Year" in a teamtalk interview-that's an indication as to where Tyrone are right now.
Can't see past The Dubs and Kerry-the only thing going against the Dubs is the chance of a fussy ref.   Donegal, Down, Armagh,Tyrone and Kildare are just behind them.   Mayo, Cork,Derry are next with Fermanagh as the dark horses for a quarter-final spot. 

As biased as I am... I don't see how Armagh can be rated above Cork and Mayo in anyone's book.

From the Bunker

Can i Just get on my Kildare are over-rated horse.

The media love Kildare, they love their long journeys through the back door, they love the Geezer factor and they love the pity they can lay on Kildare when they lose narrowly to a dodgy decision.

Looking at the last 4 years under they Geezer, they have no Big scalp or provincial title for a team that are supposed to be in the big four.

In 2011 lost to Dublin and Donegal, Beat Wicklow, Meath, Laois, Meath, Derry

In 2010 lost to Louth and Down, Beat Antrim, Leitrim, Derry, Monaghan, Meath

2009 Lost to Dublin and Tyrone, Beat Offaly, Wexford, Laois, Wicklow

2008 Lost to Wicklow and Cork, Beat Cavan, Limerick, Fermanagh,

They have played in Division 2 of the National League in 2012, 2011,2010 and 2009.

Their only achievement of note is an O'Byrne in 2011!

Syferus

It's easy to use statistics to support any argument, and yes, Kidlare are over-rated based on success but likewise the backlash Iv'e seen agaisnt them extends way too far - they were within inches of Donegal and have real reasons to feel hard done by against Dublin, the All-Ireland champions, last year and Down the previous year. League position matters little to Kildare, clearly, they only ever play anywhere close to their championship form in the league near the end.

armaghniac

QuoteI don't see how Armagh can be rated above Cork and Mayo in anyone's book.

In a phone book, perhaps.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Dinny Breen

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 30, 2012, 03:33:17 PM

No.

Look Kildare are good copy, this conversation was had last year. They have won 17 championship games in 4 years, which is a pretty good record but have had some awful luck and don't think anyone would argue you do need those bounces to go your way to win an AI.

But who are these people that over-rate Kildare, certainly not their fans expect Ewen McKenna who constantly bigs up Kildare but I think he does that just to rile the Dubs. Kildare are probably the 2nd best team in Leinster and outside in a group with Donegal, Mayo and Armagh who could all beat other on any given Sunday but well behind the Big 3 plus Tyrone.
#newbridgeornowhere

Donnellys Hollow

Certainly not people within Kildare that are hyping up the team. We have had some bad luck in recent years but we also probably lack a small bit of belief when it really comes down to it against the bigger teams. We have come close against Cork in 2008, Dublin and Tyrone in 2009, Dublin in 2011 but it's difficult to argue that we should have won any of those matches.

This season should be our best chance of achieving something with the likes of Peter Kelly, Mikey Conway, Dermot Earley and Daryl Flynn all fit and raring to go and Johnny Doyle restored to the forwards. Hard to read anything into the league form going on recent years. Hopefully we can get back to the Leinster Final and have a good crack at the Dubs. Win that and anything is possible - might just give the team the belief and confidence to really push on. Personally think we'll fall short again but sure we live in hope.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Hill16 Blues

Think that's very reasonable view. If it is Kildare V Dublin Leinster final there is no doubt Kildare are capable of winning it if Dubs not firing at 100%. This was the case last year v Wexford and nearly cost us. Think Gilroy will be in a dilemna if it is Kildare in Leinster final as like last year Aug weekend is the priority but he nor the supporters will want to lose to Kildare.

Re the myth that now abounds about Kildare's bad luck. Decisions go for and against every team. Last two times v Dublin kildare have had extra man for nearly half of game and never looked like winning. If Bernard hadn't of got the free at end last year Kildare would barely have deserved draw. Dublin were better team even with 14 players.

Kildare didn't deserve to beat Donegal last year. They had plenty of chances to win game and didn't take them. Even if square ball goal had been allowed no guarantee Kildare would have won.

And finlly everyone seems to forget that though Coulter goal v Down should never have been allowed Kildare player (can't remember nam) who scored goal took 13/14 steps before scoring Kildare goal.

Swings and rounabouts!!!

Don't like McGeeney one bit but Kildare are serious team who noone will want to play.

Whishtup

Quote from: JP on March 30, 2012, 06:31:17 AM

As biased as I am... I don't see how Armagh can be rated above Cork and Mayo in anyone's book.

Armagh have shown that they can beat the big teams and are afraid of no-one-still have the Cross boys to come back.  Mayo haven't a hope-attitude stinks, and Cork are on the wain-depend a lot on Goulding being fit. 

ONeill

Armagh could definitely bring Tyrone crashing down to earth in their home patch. In Tyrone's favour is the extra game in the divisional final but I expect a fired-up Rangers v Celtic type performance from the dark side/evil empire/nazis/Brits.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Zulu

Cork don't depend on goulding at all, Sheehan is a far for important player for their All Ireland chances. If they got rid of Counihan they'd be a much more formidable team. They still have plenty of top quality players but they seem to be stuck in a rut and there is little tactical nous on the sideline.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 30, 2012, 03:51:11 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on March 30, 2012, 03:33:17 PM

No.

Look Kildare are good copy, this conversation was had last year. They have won 17 championship games in 4 years, which is a pretty good record but have had some awful luck and don't think anyone would argue you do need those bounces to go your way to win an AI.

But who are these people that over-rate Kildare, certainly not their fans expect Ewen McKenna who constantly bigs up Kildare but I think he does that just to rile the Dubs. Kildare are probably the 2nd best team in Leinster and outside in a group with Donegal, Mayo and Armagh who could all beat other on any given Sunday but well behind the Big 3 plus Tyrone.

There is a reason Kildare win have won 17 championship games in 4 years, They are out of the Leinster Championship early.
Like the League, the Leinster Championship does not seem to be high priority to Kildare.
Kildare work hard, are fit, but lack the natural footballers to beat the better teams in tight games.

To be fair they are not AI title contenders, and i'm not sure if they'll have an influence on the eventual winner, untill they claim a big scalp.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Whishtup on March 30, 2012, 06:00:32 PM
Quote from: JP on March 30, 2012, 06:31:17 AM

Armagh have shown that they can beat the big teams and are afraid of no-one-still have the Cross boys to come back.  Mayo haven't a hope-attitude stinks, and Cork are on the wain-depend a lot on Goulding being fit.

Far be it from me to stick up for our noisy neighbours but have Mayo not beaten more big teams in championship footbal in recent years than Armagh have?