GAA stars being abused on twitter

Started by Benny Sweeney, March 12, 2012, 04:07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benny Sweeney

Quote from: seafoid on March 12, 2012, 10:17:53 PM
Players don't deserve that kind of abuse. Mayo as well. Tut tut.  What is the point?

Maybe if they won an all-Ireland the self loathing of certain 'fans' would subside.

I dont think they were Mayo people

Benny Sweeney

Quote from: ross4life on March 12, 2012, 09:46:33 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 12, 2012, 09:18:12 PM
Quote from: Benny Sweeney on March 12, 2012, 07:52:14 PM
Quote from: J70 on March 12, 2012, 07:19:16 PM
No more than the brave men who sometimes makes unsubstantiated allegations on this very board, its easy to say stuff you'd never have the balls to take responsibility for in person when you're hiding behind a pseudonym.

Yes I agree. Sligoman seems to be the worst for it

Sligoman or Sligonian. And I wouldn't know as much about Sligo GAA as he does, but by Jesus he's passionate about it. And fair play to the man, anonymity or not.

Sligonian has said many times he's well known in public. I don't know him personally myself but i get on better with him than most posters maybe because i share the same type of passion & shoot from the hip.

It could be him I am not too sure but I know a young Sligo player (wont name names) felt so upset by a sligo persons comments on a message board (could be this one?) his father had to ask the family of the poster toget him to stop because it was having an effect on him. shoot from the hip but remember these are human beings and they do it for the love of the sport and give up their valuble time.

rowzocull12

Abuse that players receive on twitter is nothing short of digusting. Conor Clerkin, and Dick Hoey, from Armagh, recently received numerous hurtful posts regarding their hair, or for a better word, lack of it. They were also insulted over their appearance and physical appearance, and of course choice of county. Twitter abuse needs to stop

Croí na hÉireann

They can block them if needs be, if only we could do that on here  :P
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

haranguerer

Quote from: ross4life on March 12, 2012, 09:46:33 PM

Sligonian has said many times he's well known in public. I don't know him personally myself but i get on better with him than most posters maybe because i share the same type of passion & shoot from the hip.

I think you should have both parachutes...

Shadylimp

Oh my god, these poor men. Someone please get them help for their suffering, do me a favour people. Its quite simple really, if you sign up to this twitter sh** then you set yourself up for abuse and can't complain when you receive it. No one asked for them to join it and I'm sure the world can cope without hearing what bernard brogan is having for dinner.
'Oh honey I didn't get drunk. I just went into a strange fantasy world'

Jinxy

Quote from: Syferus on March 12, 2012, 06:29:16 PM
It just gives the same types of louts who shout abuse at players during matches a chance to write down their bile. Players should either use the bs as motivation or ignore it completely. It's really that simple.

Twitter is what it is, though, and people need to realise there's a desire in everyone to talk about themselves or things that pop into their heads. The whole 'I don't understand new technology x' meme is ten times more grating than the tech itself. You don't like it, fine, but if you really tried and still failed to understand Twitter then I'm at a loss for words.

Not really.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Shadylimp on March 13, 2012, 11:24:34 AM
Oh my god, these poor men. Someone please get them help for their suffering, do me a favour people. Its quite simple really, if you sign up to this twitter sh** then you set yourself up for abuse and can't complain when you receive it. No one asked for them to join it and I'm sure the world can cope without hearing what bernard brogan is having for dinner.

I'm not on twitter. That's a good enough summary for me.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

seafoid

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 13, 2012, 07:30:05 PM
Quote from: Shadylimp on March 13, 2012, 11:24:34 AM

I'm not on twitter. That's a good enough summary for me.
You get a much better tan on the bog.

Syferus

Quote from: Jinxy on March 13, 2012, 11:59:58 AM
Quote from: Syferus on March 12, 2012, 06:29:16 PM
It just gives the same types of louts who shout abuse at players during matches a chance to write down their bile. Players should either use the bs as motivation or ignore it completely. It's really that simple.

Twitter is what it is, though, and people need to realise there's a desire in everyone to talk about themselves or things that pop into their heads. The whole 'I don't understand new technology x' meme is ten times more grating than the tech itself. You don't like it, fine, but if you really tried and still failed to understand Twitter then I'm at a loss for words.

Not really.

Welcome to a forum!

Jinxy

I'm not talking about myself though.
I'm talking about the GAA.
Big difference between that and posting pictures of my dinner.
Nobody here knows anything about me except that I'm from Meath.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

ONeill

I don't follow celebs and the like but if I ever heard of a gaa 'star' complaining of abuse on twitter I'd tear into him too. Wonder if Mick Lyons is on it.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

cogito

Honestly lads, people that say Twitter is a pile of crap are narrow minded.

It takes a while to get used to but once you adjust to it it really it was unbelievable asset. Live updates and scores on GAA matches all over the country. No other service comes remotely close in my opinion.

Once you take time and follow the right people you will find out you have your own personalised news feed that no media outlet has the resources to provide in this country.

It is as close to the Sky Sports centre as we will ever get GAA wise.

RedandGreenSniper

Big misconception here that people are on Twitter to find out what people are eating for dinner! You follow who you want - unlike Facebook where you are obliged to follow family and friends who would wear you down with their status updates. It is a savage medium for live events and after any Mayo match, I'll always scan the #mayogaa hashtag to see what the different opinions are.

Another thing about Twitter is that it exposes loons, idiots and assholes for what they are. Like these people who think it is great craic to be abusing Conor Mortimer, Aidan O'Shea, Stevie McDonnell or Dick Clerkin. That tells me infinitely more about the abusers than it ever will about the players themselves. Again, if you don't like these people, don't follow them!
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year