GAA stars being abused on twitter

Started by Benny Sweeney, March 12, 2012, 04:07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Quote from: cogito on March 16, 2012, 10:55:12 PM
Honestly lads, people that say Twitter is a pile of crap are narrow minded.

It takes a while to get used to but once you adjust to it it really it was unbelievable asset. Live updates and scores on GAA matches all over the country. No other service comes remotely close in my opinion.

Once you take time and follow the right people you will find out you have your own personalised news feed that no media outlet has the resources to provide in this country.

It is as close to the Sky Sports centre as we will ever get GAA wise.

Nobody is saying otherwise.
I can use that service without being signed up to Twitter.
It's like a faster, more accurate version of aertel.
This thread however is about players getting abuse on Twitter.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

sans pessimism

It takes a while to get used to but once you adjust to it it really it was unbelievable asset. Live updates and scores on GAA matches all over the country. No other service comes remotely close in my opinion.

Once you take time and follow the right people you will find out you have your own personalised news feed that no media outlet has the resources to provide in this country.

Jasus I feel so inferior
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Jinxy

ogshead

Quote from: rowzocull12 on March 13, 2012, 10:23:48 AM
Abuse that players receive on twitter is nothing short of digusting. Conor Clerkin, and Dick Hoey, from Armagh, recently received numerous hurtful posts regarding their hair, or for a better word, lack of it. They were also insulted over their appearance and physical appearance, and of course choice of county. Twitter abuse needs to stop

You should follow this advice yourself... that comment you left on the Harps thread was a bit of joke

donegal_abu

for the non-social networkers out there this isnt a bash twitter thread ? i think its great for game results as someone mentioned. it always has th news before anywhere else and is very direct.

however th abus out there is dreadful for some players. steve mcdonnell is one that gets a lot of abuse.. but he seems to laugh it off and re-tweets most of it

give her dixie

Following the news and sport on twitter is amazing, and to get the scores and results in real time can keep you on the edge of your seat in a close match.

I have been doing the updates for Tyrone on their twitter and facebook accounts, and the response has been fantastic. Anyone around the world can follow the match and receive updates as the scores happen. I remember living away from home and trying to get results was pain.

Twitter and facebook have a great role for not only the county, but for clubs as well. Any abuse of players is pathetic, and consistent abusers should be reported and shut down. The players are amateurs after all, and get enough abuse at matches !!
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

catchandkick

Twitter from what I've seen is a garbled mess of bad grammar and solipsism.

Martin O'Neill put it down well recently. He was encouraging James McClean to get off it as he was getting abuse on it. He then said 'Stephen Fry is a highly intelligent man and here he is telling us he had bacon for breakfast. I don't get that. '

Out of curiosity who from the GAA world do you follow and do they reveal anything other than inane prattle?

ziggysego

Quote from: catchandkick on March 20, 2012, 01:30:01 AM
Out of curiosity who from the GAA world do you follow and do they reveal anything other than inane prattle?

I follow quite a few GAA heads. In fact, just yesterday, Armagh's Stephen McDonnell posted a picture of himself and his newly born son Cahir on twitter, for all his followers to see.
Testing Accessibility

fitzroyalty

It's excellent for getting results, club, intercounty, u21 etc. You can get up to date scores as well which is handy if you like a flutter or two. There's no requirement to broadcast what you had for breakfast either. Also a few good parody accounts which get a good laugh.

Jinxy

Quote from: ziggysego on March 20, 2012, 01:05:15 PM

I follow quite a few GAA heads. In fact, just yesterday, Armagh's Stephen McDonnell posted a picture of himself and his newly born son Cahir on twitter, for all his followers to see.

Lord save us.

Tubberman

Quote from: Jinxy on March 20, 2012, 03:52:49 PM

Lord save us.

Lord graciously hear us.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

ziggysego

Quote from: Jinxy on March 20, 2012, 03:52:49 PM

Lord save us.

Testing Accessibility

RMDrive

Twitter from what I've seen is a garbled mess of bad grammar and solipsism.

Translation - the people I choose to follow are gimps. A bad twitter feed is simply a reflection on the user - not the other twitter people.

I follow most of the GAA journalists as well as other GAA media organisations. My timeline is ~50% GAA, 20% Indiana Pacers, 20% news, 10% funny people. If someone tells me what they are eating for breakfast (and no one ever has) then it takes 1 button press to never see anything from them again.

muppet

Twitter is fantastic.

If I said 6 years ago that former Arsenal striker Ian Wright had written to me telling me that Tulisa whateshername had make a sex tape you'd have all thought I was mad.
MWWSI 2017