GAA stars being abused on twitter

Started by Benny Sweeney, March 12, 2012, 04:07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benny Sweeney

I use twitter to follow GAA, sports life and love. I find it a very good resource, I follow Soccer stars, celebritiies and GAA players. I felt bad for Conor Mortimer (who I follow) people were being real scumbags with derogatory comments towards him following Mayo's defeat to Down.. I see sometimnes these comments on GAA message boards especially about the Sligo manager but they never reach the level that is reached on twitter. Hopefully this Government will bring in legislation to curb this cyber bullying.

https://twitter.com/#!/conmort

squire_in_navy_slacks

Tweeting is on par with public masturbation, terrible foolish, cple of the dubs players at it too, the less said the better.................................................were people not given attention when they were childers ????

thejuice

Absolutely shameful. Horrible spiteful people out there.

At the same time I don't use twitter and I'm not sure why anyone does to be honest.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Benny Sweeney

Quote from: thejuice on March 12, 2012, 05:01:12 PM

At the same time I don't use twitter and I'm not sure why anyone does to be honest.

Oh twitter is very good for getting up to date results at sporting events. The Club has one and lets us know about training cancelled etc and live scores from under 14 to senior. I met a girl on there and we had a date at the cinema before.

5 Sams

Steven McDonnell has the right idea...he gets loads of abuse....he just brushes it off and retweets it...
The Aristocrat Years

Syferus

It just gives the same types of louts who shout abuse at players during matches a chance to write down their bile. Players should either use the bs as motivation or ignore it completely. It's really that simple.

Twitter is what it is, though, and people need to realise there's a desire in everyone to talk about themselves or things that pop into their heads. The whole 'I don't understand new technology x' meme is ten times more grating than the tech itself. You don't like it, fine, but if you really tried and still failed to understand Twitter then I'm at a loss for words.

theticklemister

Twitter................. Who the feck wants to know what someone had for their breakfast or what they seen up the town. Twitter is for nosey people as is Facebook.

Players shouldn't be getting abuse, can they just let the firends they know see what they update? Why do they want Joe Bloggs up the road to know what they think about something....... It eventually leads to slagging.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Benny Sweeney on March 12, 2012, 05:02:52 PM

Oh twitter is very good for getting up to date results at sporting events. The Club has one and lets us know about training cancelled etc and live scores from under 14 to senior. I met a girl on there and we had a date at the cinema before.
What film did you bring her to?

Benny Sweeney

Quote from: Captain Obvious on March 12, 2012, 06:59:34 PM
Quote from: Benny Sweeney on March 12, 2012, 05:02:52 PM

What film did you bring her to?

Kick-Ass, it was a cool film. we didnt go on a second date though.

J70

No more than the brave men who sometimes makes unsubstantiated allegations on this very board, its easy to say stuff you'd never have the balls to take responsibility for in person when you're hiding behind a pseudonym.

Benny Sweeney

Quote from: J70 on March 12, 2012, 07:19:16 PM
No more than the brave men who sometimes makes unsubstantiated allegations on this very board, its easy to say stuff you'd never have the balls to take responsibility for in person when you're hiding behind a pseudonym.

Yes I agree. Sligoman seems to be the worst for it

imtommygunn

Twitter is a great job for sports results, news etc etc. It's so simple which is the beauty of it.

The anonymity thing is no different to what it is on here.

The internet gives a voice to people who in the real world no-one would listen to. It has many positive things about it but that is not one of them.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Benny Sweeney on March 12, 2012, 07:52:14 PM

Sligoman or Sligonian. And I wouldn't know as much about Sligo GAA as he does, but by Jesus he's passionate about it. And fair play to the man, anonymity or not.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ross4life

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 12, 2012, 09:18:12 PM
Quote from: Benny Sweeney on March 12, 2012, 07:52:14 PM

Sligoman or Sligonian. And I wouldn't know as much about Sligo GAA as he does, but by Jesus he's passionate about it. And fair play to the man, anonymity or not.

Sligonian has said many times he's well known in public. I don't know him personally myself but i get on better with him than most posters maybe because i share the same type of passion & shoot from the hip.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

seafoid

Players don't deserve that kind of abuse. Mayo as well. Tut tut.  What is the point?

Maybe if they won an all-Ireland the self loathing of certain 'fans' would subside.