Connacht U-21 Championship 2012

Started by Farrandeelin, March 09, 2012, 08:50:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spuds

Quote from: seafoid on March 15, 2012, 09:27:07 AM
Quote from: ross4life on March 14, 2012, 10:49:15 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 14, 2012, 10:34:37 PM
Well done Mayo. It would be great if they could push on and win the all-Ireland. It would set up some great connacht football rivalry for the next decade .
You do know they won AI in 2006?

Quote from: mylestheslasher on March 14, 2012, 10:37:37 PM
Very suprised at this result. Did galway have the same two lads in the middle that they had last year?
They did but one of them (Fiontán Ó Curraoin) picked up a injury & didn't play tonight.

The Mayo record out of Connacht is wojous. 13 Connacht titles since 1984 and one all Ireland

From the Galway perspective losing a tight match is disappointing but often  players can learn from that experience and
turn it to their advantage later on.
Would think from a Galway perspective that losing lastnight was a big disappointment especially considering that they were the better more organised team for most of the 60mins. Mayo lasted longer so credit to their conditioning and were the dominant team in extra time. As Moysider said earlier it is a bit of a role reversal with Mayo winning a game that Galway looked like winning.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

seafoid

I think most people expected Cork to win the all-Ireland last year.
So it's swings and roundabouts. Obviously you'd prefer to win every match but if they can learn from this experience and win a tight all-Ireland final in 2018 it'll all be worth it.   

Rossfan

U21 is the most unpredictable championship as it's played whenever it can be squeezed in early in the year and managers barely get time to have their full squad together before the first Championship game.
The games themselves are usually enjoyable ( for neutrals anyway) as they are more off the cuff as there isnt time to get much tactics going and no time to look at the opposition or try to find ways of stopping them.
As for next Wednesday ... I fear the worst as we certainly haven't had a full squad together all season with injuries and 3rd level commitments plus Mayowestros will have themselves well sorted out following 80 minutes last night.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

All counties at u-21 have to deal with 3rd level commitments, though. I'd definitely not be worried, we've got a home game and a fantastic squad of players. We can, and if we play to our ability should, win it. Plenty f the key players have got themselves tuned up at senior and 3rd level over the last few weeks so they're not exactly going into this cold.

ross4life

Quote from: seafoid on March 15, 2012, 03:08:58 PM
So it's swings and roundabouts. Obviously you'd prefer to win every match but if they can learn from this experience and win a tight all-Ireland final in 2018 it'll all be worth it.
Most did but they were overrated after hammering a poor Kerry team i knew Galway had enough to beat the best.

last night Galway no longer had Forde full back,Duane was played out of position after excelling at CHB last year, F Ó Curraoin didn't play while both Sweeney's had to go off with injuries plus two of their best forwards Cummins,Heir left a big void. TBH when you look at that it's not a surprise Mayo won.

Mayo only 4/7 to win Connacht now & 3rd favourites behind Cork,Dublin for the All Ireland so no pressure lads.  ;)

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Rossfan

Quote from: Syferus on March 15, 2012, 04:20:35 PM
All counties at u-21 have to deal with 3rd level commitments, though. I'd definitely not be worried, we've got a home game and a fantastic squad of players. We can, and if we play to our ability should, win it. Plenty f the key players have got themselves tuned up at senior and 3rd level over the last few weeks so they're not exactly going into this cold.
We have 7 or 8 as good as anywhere but after that  maybe not the strength in depth needed . Venue dooesnt really matter at this level .
Anyway let's hope you're right buck as I would love to be proved wrong in this case. ;) :D ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

moysider

Quote from: ross4life on March 15, 2012, 04:40:46 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 15, 2012, 03:08:58 PM
Most did but they were overrated after hammering a poor Kerry team i knew Galway had enough to beat the best.

last night Galway no longer had Forde full back,Duane was played out of position after excelling at CHB last year, F Ó Curraoin didn't play while both Sweeney's had to go off with injuries plus two of their best forwards Cummins,Heir left a big void. TBH when you look at that it's not a surprise Mayo won.

Mayo only 4/7 to win Connacht now & 3rd favourites behind Cork,Dublin for the All Ireland so no pressure lads.  ;)

I don t know what s out there but I m surprised we re third favourites. Whoever makes the odds must just have looked at the result ( beat AI champions) and not the performance or the circumstances ( Galway badly hampered by injury).
  I m not so sure that we have the resources to turn things around enough to be serious contenders - but I m not sure what the rest have either. Some years you only have to be the best of a bad lot and get a few breaks along the way, like we did last night.

Mayo Mick

AI probably between ourselves and Dubs - Kerry might be dark horses. Think we can consider Connacht done and dusted - don't see either Sligo or Ros within 6 or 7 points of us especially as we will not be as slow to start the next day.
If You Don't Bring Home The Bacon, You'll Get Treated Like A Pig!!

moysider

Started very brightly last night. 1-2 to a point up after 5mins. Start not a factor.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Mayo Mick on March 15, 2012, 09:47:25 PM
AI probably between ourselves and Dubs - Kerry might be dark horses. Think we can consider Connacht done and dusted - don't see either Sligo or Ros within 6 or 7 points of us especially as we will not be as slow to start the next day.
That's the spirit Mick, you can't beat a cocky supporter. They may beat Sligo,Roscommon however i can't see that current Mayo team beating the best in Ulster in the AI semi final.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

seafoid

Quote from: Blowitupref on March 15, 2012, 10:18:06 PM
Quote from: Mayo Mick on March 15, 2012, 09:47:25 PM
That's the spirit Mick, you can't beat a cocky supporter. They may beat Sligo,Roscommon however i can't see that current Mayo team beating the best in Ulster in the AI semi final.
It depends . It could be Cavan  ;)

Mayo Mick

Quote from: moysider on March 15, 2012, 09:57:35 PM

Started very brightly last night. 1-2 to a point up after 5mins. Start not a factor.

Mean start in a general sense - first game in U21 is a bit of a lottery as teams settle in, etc. Having played a game plus e.t. is a big plus for team and management.

U21 in Connacht is normally between ourselves and Galway with the odd time the sheepstealers pull one off. See no reason that the same pattern won't continue this year. As regards AI not sure what Ulster will throw up but still feel winners will come from  Dubs, Kerry or ourselves.
If You Don't Bring Home The Bacon, You'll Get Treated Like A Pig!!

Syferus

We're wise to your tricks, Mick.  ;)

sans pessimism

"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"