Connacht U-21 Championship 2012

Started by Farrandeelin, March 09, 2012, 08:50:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Don't expect to see Mayo or Galway put out the young players this weekend, as they meet each other in the preliminary round on Wednesday night (14th) in McHale Park Castlebar. Here's hoping Mayo can give the U-21 championship a good go this year. It's going to be very hard to do though. Galway, as All-Ireland Champions won't want to go down to Mayo, whereas, this Mayo U-21 model is as good as any Mayo U-21 team. Hopefully Mayo will do the business on Wednesday night. If there's another Connacht U-21 2012 thread out there I'll delete it.

P.S, Roscommon await the winners the following Wednesday, in Kiltoom, and with all due respect to Sligo and Leitrim, it's hard to see either of those getting their names on the Connacht title this year anyway.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Benny Sweeney

Roscommon are favourites for this and should win it.

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 09, 2012, 08:50:42 PM
Don't expect to see Mayo or Galway put out the young players this weekend, as they meet each other in the preliminary round on Wednesday night (14th) in McHale Park Castlebar. Here's hoping Mayo can give the U-21 championship a good go this year. It's going to be very hard to do though. Galway, as All-Ireland Champions won't want to go down to Mayo, whereas, this Mayo U-21 model is as good as any Mayo U-21 team. Hopefully Mayo will do the business on Wednesday night. If there's another Connacht U-21 2012 thread out there I'll delete it.

P.S, Roscommon await the winners the following Wednesday, in Kiltoom, and with all due respect to Sligo and Leitrim, it's hard to see either of those getting their names on the Connacht title this year anyway.

Is there a panel anywhere for this? It s been very quiet. Not too bothered to be honest. We ve been brutal last 2 years.
Yeah I hear they re supposed to be the bees knees this year but I ve heard that the last 2 years and they went out and played like a drain each time.

Rossfan

Quote from: Benny Sweeney on March 09, 2012, 08:55:38 PM

Yeah right  ::) Good man yerself.
Realistically we are up against it , a poor Hastings campaign , the team we play have a tough championship game under their belt , a lot of 19 year olds on our panel......  I'm not expecting anything here regretfully.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ross4life

Quote from: Benny Sweeney on March 09, 2012, 08:55:38 PM
We're not favourites far from in fact.

We ve been brutal last 2 years.
Yeah I hear they re supposed to be the bees knees this year but I ve heard that the last 2 years and they went out and played like a drain each time.
How about you were beaten by the better team the last 2 years? & before you forget Mayo were lucky to beat us in 2008,2009.

As for this year's championship hard to know what Galway are like only half of last years team left & of course a new manager. Mayo home advantage & plenty of 2009 minor finalist to choose from should be favourites.

For us we didn't have a good hastings cup but with so many injuries i can't read much into that. Donal Smith,Cathal Shine have just returned from injury & much will depend on the fitness/sharpness of those two.

Sligo should beat Leitrim & they will give any one of the three teams a good game in the Connacht final.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Syferus

Like you've said, it all depends on how sharp the players are, we certainly have the talent at hand to beat anyone in Connacht. The match in Kiltoom will be regarded as a defacto Connacht final but I'm hearing good things about the Sligo u-21's so I wouldn't be so sure of safe passage for the winner.

sans pessimism

Quote from: moysider on March 09, 2012, 09:45:34 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 09, 2012, 08:50:42 PM

Is there a panel anywhere for this? It s been very quiet. Not too bothered to be honest. We ve been brutal last 2 years.
Why Moy
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Cosmo Kramer

This needs to be Dempsey's last shot at it. Massive underachievement since he took over the 21s. I'm surprised he's still involved to be honest. The last two years have been a shambles relative to the quality he has had at his disposal.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

Syferus

Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on March 10, 2012, 04:31:25 PM
This needs to be Dempsey's last shot at it. Massive underachievement since he took over the 21s. I'm surprised he's still involved to be honest. The last two years have been a shambles relative to the quality he has had at his disposal.

You met Roscommon teams of more than equal talent the past two years, don't be surprised if you beat Galway and lose in Kiltoom. Any of Mayo, Roscommon or Galway would likely have won the All-Ireland coming out of Connacht last year such was the standard, and we blew a big chance to at least make the All-Ireland final in 2010.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Syferus on March 10, 2012, 04:41:42 PM
Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on March 10, 2012, 04:31:25 PM

You met Roscommon teams of more than equal talent the past two years, don't be surprised if you beat Galway and lose in Kiltoom. Any of Mayo, Roscommon or Galway would likely have won the All-Ireland coming out of Connacht last year such was the standard, and we blew a big chance to at least make the All-Ireland final in 2010.

Exactly. These words coming out shambles,brutal,played like a drain.

I feel it's easier for Mayo fans to accept defeats to Galway,Kerry or Dublin than Roscommon. Same with the seniors when they lost to Sligo,Longford touted as the worst year ever while losing to Kerry,Meath,Galway was ok.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Farrandeelin

Actually blowitupref, I personally take defeat very badly regardless of the opposition!

ross4life

Galway U-21 team to play Mayo

1 Manus Breathnach2 Gary Sweeney 3 Johnathan Duane4 James Shaughnessy5 Conor Costello 6 Cathal Sweeney 7 Conor Halloran 8 Brian Flaherty 9 Fiontán Ó Curraoin 10 Conor Rabbitte 11 Tomás Flynn 12 Shane Maughan 13 Peadar Ó Griofa 14 Patrick Sweeney15 Eric Monahan

Substitutes:16 James Keane 17 Padraig Cunningham 18 Colm McDonagh 19 David Wynne 20 Éanna Ó hÉochaidh 21 Alan Molloy 22 Niall Walsh 23 Adrian Varley 24 Gearóid Armstrong

In bold are guys that started the All Ireland U-21 final last April while in blue are guys that came on as subs. PP odds Mayo 4/6 Galway 6/4
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Farrandeelin

Benny Sweeney aka Peter Solan the great says we should use this thread to talk about tomorrow night's game. Why no panel announcement from Dempsey? Kept very in the dark about this team when there are good players there. It's knockout so whoever is up for it for the hourshould win.

Ref is Michael Duffy.

Sam2011

Mayo team for tonight:
1 )P. Mannion
2 )M. Walsh
3 )N. Freeman
4 )D. Gavin
5 )C. Crowe
6 )S McDermott
7 )M. Forde
8 )D. Kirby
9)D. Geraghty
10)A. Farrell
11)A. Walsh
12)C. O'Shea
13)E. Regan
14)C. O'Connor
15)D. Coen

Subs:
16)C. Campbell
17)N. Lally
18)C.Walsh
19)C. Charlton
20)J. Reilly
21)A. O'Toole
22)B. Harrison
23)J. Shaughnessy
24)J. McDonnell

ross4life

Late change for Galway Fiontán Ó Curraoin doesn't start out injured.