Kilkenny county board and football

Started by Jinxy, February 29, 2012, 10:42:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throw ball

Quote from: ck on April 17, 2016, 10:56:05 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on March 01, 2012, 01:15:01 PM
There's no shame in trying and failing miserably.
The shame is in not trying to begin with.
Kilkenny are clearly not trying.
At all.
They're basically saying 'Leave us alone or we'll turn every football fixture you give us into an absolute travesty'.
Plenty of counties are useless at hurling.
They still make the effort though.

+1

+2

seafoid

Kilkenny people have a very strong sense of aesthetic . I think this is why football is left to rot in the fields of the county

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoQMl5kr17E

Ethan Tremblay

What is the consensus from KK posters, is football a novelty or is it treated anyway serious?
I know in Armagh Keady footballers suffer as a result of the commitment their hurlers show so to say northern teams don't try is ignorant, and that's a club, not a county. 

Regarding Brennans comments on saving money by not fielding a team is a pure joke.  Money should never be a factor in deciding whether a team should be incorporated.   

The Waterford example is ridiculous.  A book detailing the Waterford footballers 2009 season shown the sacrifice and commitment their players and staff gave to represent.  Some players were traveling from England and some were taking football over hurling.  Results aside the effort and progress is being made.
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

Shamrock Shore

Is that the biggest bayin of all time in inter county at any grade?

Obv we all remember U-10s where you could win by 30-00 to 0-00 but surely that is the worst. How can a team be so bad? I am sure Wexford are no great shakes and will probably lose the next day. Did the 15 KK lads even see a gaelic football before? Surely ta fcuk they could have strung one passage of play and got a point.

The mind boggles and I am all for serious sactions on KK county board. Not a fine, per se (that is indiscrimiate), but suspension of delegates to Leinster council or a ban on KK officials running for national GAA office. Something to hit the CB directly.

Hound

Kilkenny now claiming they did in fact score a point. An injury time free with the last kick of the game. No confirmation as to whether Wexford and the referee were still on the pitch.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: laoislad on April 17, 2016, 10:07:12 PM
Quote from: general_lee on April 17, 2016, 09:58:40 PM
The thing with hurling is, in every county you will find people passionate about it and therefore there will be efforts made to promote it. Take Cavan for example, they don't field a team at senior level but are putting in the effort to get one back up and running. Kilkenny seem to actively discourage football and as such are not true GAA people.

;D
What a crock of shite.

Reads fine to me. They are true hurling people but would match our loyalist brethren with their contempt for football. If KK are saving 100k from not bothering their hole with football I'd remove that 100k from their funding plus a bit more and give it to GPOs who will concentrate purely on football in the schools. See them rush to field some teams then.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

laoislad

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on April 18, 2016, 09:41:29 AM
The thing with hurling is, in every county you will find people passionate about it and therefore there will be efforts made to promote it. Take Cavan for example, they don't field a team at senior level but are putting in the effort to get one back up and running. Kilkenny seem to actively discourage football and as such are not true GAA people.

;D
What a crock of shite.

Reads fine to me. They are true hurling people but would match our loyalist brethren with their contempt for football. If KK are saving 100k from not bothering their hole with football I'd remove that 100k from their funding plus a bit more and give it to GPOs who will concentrate purely on football in the schools. See them rush to field some teams then.

Good for you,I still think it's a crock of shite.
There's plenty of posters on here who have shown contempt for hurling over the years. I've never heard anyone say they aren't true GAA people.
I'd love some of you boyos to go down to a club in Kilkenny and tell them they aren't real Gaa people because they don't play football.

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

AZOffaly

Absolutely they have been criticised before Laoislad. I can't abide situations where GAA units don't at least promote both codes, and provide a viable outlet for members to play them. I'm aware a lot of lads would make pencils out of hurls, and others would take penknives to footballs, but you can't allow those sort of lads to set the agenda. Apart from the fact that it's against the ethos of the association, it is absolutely discriminating against people who would like to play the other code.

And not for one minute do I believe that 'everyone in Kilkenny' hates football. There's enough of a soccer culture around Kilkenny to make me think the hurling 'volk' are not the only sporting bloc in the county.

And also, it becomes a self fulfilling prophesy. If the county board, and the clubs, continually say there is no interest, and continually preach that people don't care, and continue to treat football competitions with disdain, then of course young Joe Bloggs is not going to bother his arse in football, because he'll be a  figure of ridicule.

If, however, the County Board said that they would set up development squads, run club competitions, publicise the results, and encourage coaches to go around helping, then I guarantee you you would see an upsurge in interest among young lads, and eventually something approaching respectibility in results. But more imporatntly, there would be an outlet for a young fella who like football in Kilkenny to wear his county jersey with pride, instead feeling he is an inconvenience to the county.

Even the worst hurling counties I know of, Cavan, Fermanagh etc, are at least providing coaches, hurling leagues and an outlet for their players, publishing results on facebook, etc etc.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: laoislad on April 18, 2016, 10:06:01 AM

;D
What a crock of shite.

There's plenty of posters on here who have shown contempt for hurling over the years. I've never heard anyone say they aren't true GAA people.
I'd love some of you boyos to go down to a club in Kilkenny and tell them they aren't real Gaa people because they don't play football.

I generally find that football people from football counties look upon hurling as interesting to watch from time to time whereas in Kilkenny it is a badge of honour to have a sneer at football and all who bother with it.

laoislad

QuoteEven the worst hurling counties I know of, Cavan, Fermanagh etc, are at least providing coaches, hurling leagues and an outlet for their players, publishing results on facebook, etc etc.
Yeah but Cavan and Fermanagh aren't winning All Irelands every year .
Do you think there would be much interest or development in hurling in those counties if they were winning football All Irelands every year?
I would say it would be reduced dramatically.
I simply do not believe the level of interest in playing football is actually in Kilkenny.

Yes as you say not everyone hates football in Kilkenny, in fact in all my years there I've never heard anyone say a bad word towards it, but its more of a case they are happy to watch other counties play it.
I remember when Laois won Leinster, a couple of bus loads actually went from Kilkenny to cheer on Laois.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

westbound

Quote from: laoislad on April 18, 2016, 10:40:25 AM
QuoteEven the worst hurling counties I know of, Cavan, Fermanagh etc, are at least providing coaches, hurling leagues and an outlet for their players, publishing results on facebook, etc etc.
Yeah but Cavan and Fermanagh aren't winning All Irelands every year .
Do you think there would be much interest or development in hurling in those counties if they were winning football All Irelands every year?
I would say it would be reduced dramatically.
I simply do not believe the level of interest in playing football is actually in Kilkenny.

Yes as you say not everyone hates football in Kilkenny, in fact in all my years there I've never heard anyone say a bad word towards it, but its more of a case they are happy to watch other counties play it.
I remember when Laois won Leinster, a couple of bus loads actually went from Kilkenny to cheer on Laois.

Surely this proves the point? If there are bus loads willing to cheer on the neighbouring county in football there is obviously a certain level of interest that should be nurtured. I can only guess, but I would imagine that kilkenny people would much rather support a kilkenny football team over a laois team?

johnneycool

First things first,

Nicky Brennan is a first order bollox only interested in 'Elite' hurling when he removed the Christy Ring and Nicky Rackard finals out of their AI semi-final day slot to allow the Elite minor hurlers back in at 2.00 as they were previously on at 12.00 when Sean Kelly set up those competitions!

Secondly,
   Indiana is sadly right when he says some Northern county boards only pay lip service to hurling, with the exceptions of Antrim and it seems Armagh as well. Down can be a mishmash,but our current secretary certainly isn't a fan, the previous Chairman was, not sure about the current one as yet! County teams are reasonably well catered for, club hurling is a mess, but hopefully improving.
I'd say Derry is much like Down as the hurling clubs are the ones driving the hurling to an extent, but there's no doubting hurling in the likes of the dual clubs in Derry who're strong in both codes is a bane to their CB. There's now a load of Derry hurling clubs looking to Antrim to get underage and adult fixtures. Why?

As for Tyrone, Fermanagh and Donegal, its once again the die hard hurling areas that are ensuring these counties are putting out intercounty teams rather than any great plan by their County Boards. IIRC it's only a few years ago that the Tyrone secretary threatened to pull Tyrone out of the NHL..

Don't even start me on the Ulster Council!

AZOffaly

I think Nicky would prefer if Kilkenny, Cork and Tipperary played a triangular tournament every year to decide the All Ireland. The others would be free to hurl away among themselves, or play football, whatever ye like lads.

general_lee

Quote from: laoislad on April 18, 2016, 10:06:01 AM

;D
What a crock of shite.

I'd tell them no bother. Their county board are a f**king joke. How can they lay any claim to being a true GAA county when their county board treat football the way most counties treat rounders

Croí na hÉireann

Ah lads, ye can't be throwing mud like that at Nicky. Sure didn't he manage the Kilkenny footballers for a year or two so he's obviously very interested in the promotion of gaelic football anyway. I'm sure it was only coincidental that this was just before he began his run for the office of president.  ::)