Kilkenny county board and football

Started by Jinxy, February 29, 2012, 10:42:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 10, 2016, 01:48:46 PM
It requires more skill to score a point in football or a goal in football than hurling and that is applied to all levels. So when the main purpose of any sport is to outscore the opposition the main skill will always be the ability to score, the likes of Cooper, Connolly, O'Donoghue, Brogan, McManus etc all play their game to a much higher standard that any inter-county hurler.
Football is easier to blanket. It has become more negative, a bit like soccer.
Hurling is harder to pin down like that. So scores are more fluirseach, maybe
Atletico would not be  good hurling team.

AZOffaly

Waterford are making a decent fist if it.

general_lee

I never really played hurling, but I always felt it took more time and effort to master/perfect the skills than football. Granted I'm not in a good place to judge; but it'd be far easier for a new comer to take to the big ball than the wee ball no?

Jinxy

I watched both the drawn and replayed hurling finals and for two supposedly 'tactical' teams, there was some amount of brainless decision-making.
Nothing annoys me more than a fella making a great catch in hurling, then getting all excited and driving the ball down the field straight to an opposition player.
Actually, that's incorrect.
Nothing annoys me more than this fist-pumping nonsense whenever someone wins a free.
Actually, that's incorrect too.
Nothing annoys me more than Davy Fitz doing his 'angry toddler in the Tesco confectionary aisle' routine on the sideline.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Dinny Breen

QuoteIf you pulled a 20 year old out of the crowd that had never played GAA and asked him to play corner forward on a gaelic football team, he'd make a show of himself but chances are he's kicked a ball around a playground, so if he found himself with the ball he'd at least be able to kick it out of his way.

So he already has some football skills mastered not comparing like to like, in your example chances are a young Canadian kid who has just played hockey would pick up hurling a lot quicker than he would football as he would master stick/puc/ball eye co-ordination.

I agree it's a pointless argument but a pure numbers game the skill level in football is higher as the more the participants in a sport the higher the skill, hence Soccer > Cricket > Basketball > Hockey > Baseball > Rugby > Football > Hurling. 

#newbridgeornowhere

screenexile

Quote from: Jinxy on May 10, 2016, 03:42:47 PM
I watched both the drawn and replayed hurling finals and for two supposedly 'tactical' teams, there was some amount of brainless decision-making.
Nothing annoys me more than a fella making a great catch in hurling, then getting all excited and driving the ball down the field straight to an opposition player.
Nothing annoys me more than this fist-pumping nonsense whenever someone wins a free.
Nothing annoys me more than Davy Fitz doing his 'angry toddler in the Tesco confectionary aisle' routine on the sideline.

Excellent point Jinx... f**k the Hurling lads fair love an aul free!!!

Milltown Row2

We all have annoyances... plenty of fist punching in football, plenty of aimless passes in football, players missing 21 yard frees is criminal ... plenty of great fielding in football but when he comes down with the ball he over carries it or loses it in the tackle.... forty hand passes before a team takes a score with the foot... 15 men behind the ball.... goal keepers (in both) taking frees or 45/70's .. players running through players in a tackle... then all the cynical stuff too!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Jinxy

There's not enough fist punching in football if you ask me.

johnneycool

Quote from: screenexile on May 10, 2016, 03:49:51 PM

Excellent point Jinx... f**k the Hurling lads fair love an aul free!!!

Because a free in 2/3rd's of a pitch is scoreable, but at the same time those Clare and Waterford lads do love a fist pump!!

In terms of watching hurling on the TV, the game can move end to end so quickly that the cameraman misses the positional runs of attackers and one mistimed run can result what looks like a terribly hit pass, still happens the odd time, but can look a lot worse and stupid on TV than being at the game!

Truth be told hurling referees are really going to have to clamp down on the pulling, dragging and overcarrying thats going on now or we'll end up with even more bunching that we're seeing today!

Zulu

Quote from: general_lee on May 10, 2016, 03:22:54 PM
I never really played hurling, but I always felt it took more time and effort to master/perfect the skills than football. Granted I'm not in a good place to judge; but it'd be far easier for a new comer to take to the big ball than the wee ball no?

See, I wouldn't necessarily agree with that either. It's easier to make a fist of football but to master it, well I'd suggest it's as difficult as any game. I often find it odd when commentators criticise players by saying things like 'that's a terrible miss or he gave an awful ball' when I'm sitting there thinking what he tried to do isn't actually that easy. Likewise, I've seen some examples of stupendous skill that is hardly acknowledged by the commentators. Ciaran Kilkenny's pass to Brogan for his goal attempt against Mayo in the All Ireland semi final of 2012 (I think) springs to mind as a truly wonderful pass that wasn't commented on at all.

I think many football people underestimate the skills of the game, not to mind the hurling crowd.

Rossfan

Quote from: johnneycool on May 10, 2016, 04:23:07 PM

Truth be told hurling referees are really going to have to clamp down on the pulling, dragging and overcarrying thats going on

:o

Clean out your mouth Johnny ;D ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

fist pumping against KK is unadvisable

Jinxy

Think Galway broke the world fist-pump record in the first half against them last year.

didlyi

Fist pumping is great and so is hurling. What a pointless debate going on here. Both games can be great at times and great players have existed in both codes. Comparing the talent of players based on the skills set of one individual hurler with another individual footballers is utter nonsense. A fair debate might be 'is podge collins a better hurler than he is a footballer' and why? But of course that debate will deteriorate into... Is hurling better than football bla bla bla..

Aaron Boone

Quote from: Jinxy on May 02, 2016, 04:13:36 PM
'It saw Railyard defeat Kilmoganny 1-8 to 2-3 to complete a three-in-a-row of Kilkenny SFC titles.
The winners grabbed an early goal before Kilmoganny replied with a couple of Ronan Coffey majors to go into the break on level terms, 2-1 to 1-4.'

Jesus.
This reads like a report from a Go Games blitz.
Congrats to Railyard on their county title. It ended up a big night in Castlecomer.