Kilkenny county board and football

Started by Jinxy, February 29, 2012, 10:42:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throw ball

No harm but that is poor form. Personally I feel the least that can be done is that any county that does not engage in both codes should not have their grounds used for any championship games.

From the Bunker

No uproar about this result strangely - Kerry   2-21        Waterford   1-2

How about this U-21 from 2013 Dublin 4-27 v 0-02 Carlow?

INDIANA

Quote from: Throw ball on April 17, 2016, 07:06:31 PM
No harm but that is poor form. Personally I feel the least that can be done is that any county that does not engage in both codes should not have their grounds used for any championship games.

Northern counties don't promote hurling so a lot of hypocritical posts here

AZOffaly

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 17, 2016, 07:30:39 PM

Waterford try. They invest in their footballers, it is just very far behind hurling. They run the u14 development Munster blitz every year in Dungarvan. There is a difference between being bad, but trying, and literally not bothering your hole. It must be hell being a football man in Kilkenny. Comments like Brennan's are indicative of the thinking there, and it is disgraceful.

Throw ball

Quote from: INDIANA on April 17, 2016, 07:37:24 PM

Your bigotry against northern teams here is legendary by now. As far as I know they all have teams in the national leagues. I can only speak for my own county but they were divisional league champions this year. The investment in the county hurling is much more than €100,000 Brennan was gloating that Kilkenny saved for not having football in the county. The Ulster Council have an Ulster league to try and improve standards. Ulster counties are in general trying to improve. Kilkenny appear to be doing nothing to improve football.

I am no hypocrite I can assure you.

INDIANA

Quote from: Throw ball on April 17, 2016, 07:47:26 PM

Your bigotry against northern teams here is legendary by now. As far as I know they all have teams in the national leagues. I can only speak for my own county but they were divisional league champions this year. The investment in the county hurling is much more than €100,000 Brennan was gloating that Kilkenny saved for not having football in the county. The Ulster Council have an Ulster league to try and improve standards. Ulster counties are in general trying to improve. Kilkenny appear to be doing nothing to improve football.

I am no hypocrite I can assure you.

I have first hand knowledge of the "promotion" of hurling up there and it's lip service only. Most of the counties don't give a shite about it.

didlyi

Nicky Breenan is only Guilty of speaking the truth. If a few other counties were as honest Im sure the same would apply to their investment in hurling. There are several counties competing at the lower levels in hurling whos combined disregard for hurling makes them look competitive against each other.

Jinxy

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 17, 2016, 07:30:39 PM

Sometimes, particularly at underage, a team from a weaker county will get an unmerciful hammering.
This Kilkenny situation is different as it's almost a badge of honour for them.
How can you not score for an entire game?
Did they even kick any wides?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Cunny Funt

2011 in NFL Div 4 Kilkenny senior footballers failed to score against Leitrim. They stopped playing league football in 2012 and in their final home game they conceded 4-30 against London. 4 years on and still no sign of Kilkenny seniors returning to league football.

general_lee

The thing with hurling is, in every county you will find people passionate about it and therefore there will be efforts made to promote it. Take Cavan for example, they don't field a team at senior level but are putting in the effort to get one back up and running. Kilkenny seem to actively discourage football and as such are not true GAA people.

laoislad

Quote from: general_lee on April 17, 2016, 09:58:40 PM
The thing with hurling is, in every county you will find people passionate about it and therefore there will be efforts made to promote it. Take Cavan for example, they don't field a team at senior level but are putting in the effort to get one back up and running. Kilkenny seem to actively discourage football and as such are not true GAA people.

;D
What a crock of shite.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Sandy Hill

Which northern counties are you talking about? All of the six counties invest a lot of work and resources in hurling, much more than the amount Brennan was slabbering about. Coincidentally my own county, -Armagh, had this weekend, their whole senior hurling squad and management down in Wexford for a bonding experience.
"Stercus accidit"

Syferus

Quote from: general_lee on April 17, 2016, 09:58:40 PM

+1

Syferus

Are there some sort of participation grants Kilkenny gets by fielding a minor team in both codes? It's hard to see why they'd even bother bringing this heat on themselves if here wasn't a bean counter in the background.

ck

Quote from: Jinxy on March 01, 2012, 01:15:01 PM
There's no shame in trying and failing miserably.
The shame is in not trying to begin with.
Kilkenny are clearly not trying.
At all.
They're basically saying 'Leave us alone or we'll turn every football fixture you give us into an absolute travesty'.
Plenty of counties are useless at hurling.
They still make the effort though.

+1