Rangers FC to go into administration

Started by Lecale2, February 13, 2012, 03:43:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: Main Street on March 08, 2012, 08:57:37 PM
1890 ;D

The rest of the Scottish fans  are just hurting,  jealous to the point of lunatic madness of the quality and successes of the fenian club, the impeccable record of their travelling fans wherever they travel around Europe and the praise heaped upon  the Celtic Park atmosphere by a lengthy list of the who's who in European football.

I don't think so. I think the rest of the Scottish fans despise the Old Firm for the fact that they have exploited sectarianism for mutual gain - carving up the spoils in Scottish football as a result - for over a century. The vast majority of the fans of other clubs couldn't give a shit about Irish politics yet since time immemorial have been subjected to morons brandishing red hand flags/tricolours and singing about being up to their knees in blood or blowing people up. And in the case of Celtic the bleating about how everybody is against them when in reality they have always been very much part of the establishment is tiresome.  Really they are both just horrible football clubs, and that's why the rest of Scottish football don't like them.

LondonCamanachd

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/rangers

Somebody at BBC Scotland's going to have an "interview without tea and biscuits" tomorrow  ;D

seafoid

Quote from: LondonCamanachd on March 08, 2012, 05:25:19 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 08, 2012, 04:19:17 PM
Quote from: LondonCamanachd on March 08, 2012, 02:52:16 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 08, 2012, 01:29:49 PM
Quote from: deiseach on March 08, 2012, 08:59:39 AM
It's 99% certain that Rangers will be liquidated at this stage. The money simply isn't there, and that's even before you consider the results of the tax case. The next question is what becomes of the new entity that will rise out of the ashes. I've been scornful of Celtic fans and their conspiracy theories regarding Rangers over the years, but the extent to which the meeja have rowed in behind the idea that a piece of Scotland will die if Rangers are not saved is a real eye-opener. These, after all, are the same people who were merciless when Celtic were on the brink back in the early 90's. The upcoming battle between them and the revolting masses who are luxuriating in the demise of Rangers is going to be fascinating.

Is it really that surprising?  Rangers is as Scottish as religious bigotry and heart attacks.

Come again?

In what way is religious bigotry typically scottish?

In the sense that religion still marks people out in Scotland. The whole celtic/rangers thing and the orange order nonsense.  Even the celtic conspiracy theories that I only heard of today. What is the point? 

Search me, but your sentence essentially reads "The whole pretendy irish/pretendy british thing and the irish organisation formed to combat the Society of United Irishmen nonsense".  Its a problem isolated to parts of West Central Scotland - those that suffered/benefitted from massive Irish immigration.  It simply does not exist in Edinburgh, Dundee, Aberdeen, the Borders or the Highlands.

QuoteIt's all way past its sell by date.  Nobody gives a sh*t about religion in Germany or Switzerland.
It's not as bad in Scotland as in Norn Irn but it's still more important than in Germany or even the 26 counties.

I don't know about Switzerland, but the Bundesrepublik is a great example of a tolerant modern european state.  Was it worth what their society went through to get there?  Who knows, it's too early to say...

The RoI is a very religiously homogeneous place, bigots need an "other" to hate.  There's even less anti-Protestant bigotry in Poland, because there's even less protestants.

Germany had the 30 years war in the 1600s to come to a peace between Catholics and Protestants. Post ww1 has nothing to do with it.
And the Highlands are lovely . But a very large proportion of Scots live in Strathclyde.
Bigots need the right economic temperature and education system.

johnneycool

got this from a comments section of a paper article on RFC.

Don't kill me if its been posted before:

no income tax
no vat
no money back
no rfc
green and­ white on the ibrox door
an Asda mega, superstore
god­ bless cfc
long live cfc
viva cfc
c'est magnifique­ cfc
rip rfc, rip rfc

Main Street

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on March 08, 2012, 09:36:39 PM
1890 ;D

The rest of the Scottish fans  are just hurting,  jealous to the point of lunatic madness of the quality and successes of the fenian club, the impeccable record of their travelling fans wherever they travel around Europe and the praise heaped upon  the Celtic Park atmosphere by a lengthy list of the who's who in European football.

I don't think so. I think the rest of the Scottish fans despise the Old Firm for the fact that they have exploited sectarianism for mutual gain - carving up the spoils in Scottish football as a result - for over a century. The vast majority of the fans of other clubs couldn't give a shit about Irish politics yet since time immemorial have been subjected to morons brandishing red hand flags/tricolours and singing about being up to their knees in blood or blowing people up. And in the case of Celtic the bleating about how everybody is against them when in reality they have always been very much part of the establishment is tiresome.  Really they are both just horrible football clubs, and that's why the rest of Scottish football don't like them.
Maybe Scotland is also the mother source of spite. ;D
The thing is, success and dominance for Celtic breeds a hatred which manifests its way in other shapes and forms. Many of the reasons for the hate are petty -  tricolour/Irish songs , some of the reasons are just a part of normal club rivalry. The behaviour of Celtic's travelling fans (not unlike the Tartan Army) have been applauded by police chiefs and city councils all over Europe. As a football club it has earned respect and a long established tradition.
I defer to their judgement rather than some cranky, intolerant, bitter Scot ;D

Main Street

Quote from: LondonCamanachd on March 08, 2012, 09:16:48 PM
Quote from: Main Street on March 08, 2012, 09:08:20 PM
Fair enough, but the Irish connection does grate.
I'm satisfied  to have to your agreement on the rest ;D

Sort of.  There are lots of football teams in Ireland, why do so many Irishmen follow a Scottish one?

I also find people like Phil Mac Giolla Bhian very strange. 

Nor are celtic the only Scottish team to be lauded for their supporters abroad.
http://www.sueddeutsche.de/sport/uefa-cup-stimmungsvolle-schafzuechter-1.261923
I'm not a Celtic supporter, just a sympathiser, my team was Dundalk, when Dundalk played Celtic in the Euro cup I was there supporting Dundalk against the arrogant, big time charlie, Celts. I can't speak for why some Irish people actively support Celtic. The Northern Ireland football scene is complicated. Maybe Celtic has what you might call a symboling attraction.  In the South the obsession is with the EPL, that's where the best of the local players go to play professional football.  LOI clubs suffered badly in the early 70's and have not recovered the ground they had < 1970's
Many factors have combined for there to be a chronic inferiority complex amongst Irish people towards the local league clubs and yet a fascination with all things English.

I don't know this Phil Mac Giolla Bhian and why you find him strange, I presume he's a chap who supports Celtic.

deiseach

Sort of.  There are lots of football teams in Ireland, why do so many Irishmen follow a Scottish one?

Speaking as someone who devotes a frightening chunk of my time to an English soccer team, the answer to that one is . . . I don't know. People used support League of Ireland teams. I wonder whether it's the GAA's fault. Wait, hear me out! We've always been ones for the big event, thousands going to one-off (for most people) events in high summer. Then when English soccer became more accessible, whether through cheaper travel or television exposure, the domestic version of the game looked paltry by comparison and it became a vicious cycle of paltryness. I started going to watch the Blues a few years back and if it weren't for the fact that I bumped into an old school friend there I doubt I would have kept going. You're sitting in the ground wondering whether everyone is judging you for not going more often or not singing in the right place or (as I found to my cost for writing about it on my blog) harbouring sympathies for the pure evil that is the GAA. I don't see things getting better for domestic soccer any time soon.

LondonCamanachd

1890 ;D

[/quote]
Maybe Scotland is also the mother source of spite. ;D[/quote]

rangers fans using flags and emblems from a conflict in Ireland to wind up celtic supporters, and celtic supporters using flags and emblems to wind up rangers supporters...and this is a Scottish problem?

deiseach

Quote from: LondonCamanachd on March 09, 2012, 12:11:37 PM
rangers fans using flags and emblems from a conflict in Ireland to wind up celtic supporters, and celtic supporters using flags and emblems to wind up rangers supporters...and this is a Scottish problem?

John Knox is to blame for everything. Bad weather, the stupid name they have these days for Marathon bars, Waterford not being able to win the All-Ireland . . . everything, I tells ya!

LondonCamanachd

Quote from: seafoid on March 08, 2012, 10:25:07 PM
Germany had the 30 years war in the 1600s to come to a peace between Catholics and Protestants. Post ww1 has nothing to do with it.

so as long as it's not christian vs christian it doesn't matter?  I mean, it's not like any religion was persecuted in Germany between 1932 and 1945, aye?

seafoid

why do so many Irishmen follow a Scottish one?

There's a strong link between Donegal and Scotland isn't there ? Then the Celtic tricolour stuff must have set off a feedback loop with the rest of the country.  And the 1967 european cup could have been in the mix at some stage.

LondonCamanachd

Quote from: seafoid on March 09, 2012, 12:19:03 PM
why do so many Irishmen follow a Scottish one?

There's a strong link between Donegal and Scotland isn't there ?

More traditionally between Antrim and Scotland - hence Antrim being an isolted hurling county, where the tradition was to play with the longer, leaner hurl.

Quote from: seafoid on March 09, 2012, 12:19:03 PM
Then the Celtic tricolour stuff must have set off a feedback loop with the rest of the country.  And the 1967 european cup could have been in the mix at some stage.

Ahh, gloryhunting essentially.  Suppose that explains why Lochee Harp never got the big support from over the water...

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: Main Street on March 09, 2012, 09:08:09 AM
The behaviour of Celtic's travelling fans (not unlike the Tartan Army) have been applauded by police chiefs and city councils all over Europe. As a football club it has earned respect and a long established tradition.
I defer to their judgement rather than some cranky, intolerant, bitter Scot ;D

Like the Tartan Army they tend to turn up and have a laugh, drink a lot of beer and put a lot of money into the local economy over a few days. I've been on enough Scotland trips to know why councils all over the place like these kind of travelling supporters. Having them on a full time basis would be a different matter altogether ;D.  As such the opinion of the cranky, intolerant, bitter Scot carries more weight here than the Municipality of Seville . All that said the bitter Scot in question has a very substantial Irish heritage, so perhaps I got my inbuilt bigotry from you f*ckers >:(

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: deiseach on March 09, 2012, 10:05:33 AM

Speaking as someone who devotes a frightening chunk of my time to an English soccer team, the answer to that one is . . . I don't know. People used support League of Ireland teams. I wonder whether it's the GAA's fault. Wait, hear me out! We've always been ones for the big event, thousands going to one-off (for most people) events in high summer. Then when English soccer became more accessible, whether through cheaper travel or television exposure, the domestic version of the game looked paltry by comparison and it became a vicious cycle of paltryness. I started going to watch the Blues a few years back and if it weren't for the fact that I bumped into an old school friend there I doubt I would have kept going. You're sitting in the ground wondering whether everyone is judging you for not going more often or not singing in the right place or (as I found to my cost for writing about it on my blog) harbouring sympathies for the pure evil that is the GAA. I don't see things getting better for domestic soccer any time soon.

Interesting argument. I find one of the greatest things about the GAA being the pride in local club and county. Following a soccer club from another country can surely never replicate that. Following your local soccer team might not have the same obvious attraction of the big crowds, stadium etc of a bigger club somewhere else, but any success you experience through it will be all the sweeter.

LondonCamanachd

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on March 09, 2012, 01:26:43 PM
Quote from: deiseach on March 09, 2012, 10:05:33 AM

Interesting argument. I find one of the greatest things about the GAA being the pride in local club and county. Following a soccer club from another country can surely never replicate that. Following your local soccer team might not have the same obvious attraction of the big crowds, stadium etc of a bigger club somewhere else, but any success you experience through it will be all the sweeter.

When I see Hibs fans belting out Sunshine on Leith or Aberden supporters singing the Nothern Lights, I reckon OF supproters must feel they're missing out by not following a team with that intimiate connection to its community.  Possibly why they so readily adopt the symbols of violence from another island.