Rangers FC to go into administration

Started by Lecale2, February 13, 2012, 03:43:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: LondonCamanachd on March 08, 2012, 02:52:16 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 08, 2012, 01:29:49 PM
Quote from: deiseach on March 08, 2012, 08:59:39 AM
It's 99% certain that Rangers will be liquidated at this stage. The money simply isn't there, and that's even before you consider the results of the tax case. The next question is what becomes of the new entity that will rise out of the ashes. I've been scornful of Celtic fans and their conspiracy theories regarding Rangers over the years, but the extent to which the meeja have rowed in behind the idea that a piece of Scotland will die if Rangers are not saved is a real eye-opener. These, after all, are the same people who were merciless when Celtic were on the brink back in the early 90's. The upcoming battle between them and the revolting masses who are luxuriating in the demise of Rangers is going to be fascinating.

Is it really that surprising?  Rangers is as Scottish as religious bigotry and heart attacks.

Come again?

In what way is religious bigotry typically scottish?

In the sense that religion still marks people out in Scotland. The whole celtic/rangers thing and the orange order nonsense.  Even the celtic conspiracy theories that I only heard of today. What is the point? 
It's all way past its sell by date.  Nobody gives a sh*t about religion in Germany or Switzerland.
It's not as bad in Scotland as in Norn Irn but it's still more important than in Germany or even the 26 counties.

deiseach

Quote from: seafoid on March 08, 2012, 04:19:17 PM
In the sense that religion still marks people out in Scotland. The whole celtic/rangers thing and the orange order nonsense.  Even the celtic conspiracy theories that I only heard of today. What is the point? 
It's all way past its sell by date.  Nobody gives a sh*t about religion in Germany or Switzerland.
It's not as bad in Scotland as in Norn Irn but it's still more important than in Germany or even the 26 counties.

Maybe if the people of eastern Germany had to co-exist with millions of Poles then religion might matter. But post-war ethnic cleansing sorted that out.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: Main Street on March 08, 2012, 04:03:48 PM
Pay no heed to that Mayo windbag ..you ..you.. you  religious bigots  ;D

Let's not forgot that the Scots came from Ireland in the first place. As such you lot are actually the root of religious bigotry all over the world. So - right back at you ;D

LondonCamanachd

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on March 08, 2012, 03:59:17 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on March 08, 2012, 03:00:47 PM

It kinda is, most of the religious bigotry in Ireland seems to have been imported from Scotland (rather than the far more recent reverse). Even in the United States of America alot of the bible belt religious fruitcakes are of Scots or Scotch-Irish heritage. Came across one or two relgiously intollerent Aussies and they were of Scottish stock.

So Scotland is to blame for religious bigotry in Ireland, America and Australia? I believe the Bush family claims some kind of Scottish heritage too so you can pin the current problems in Iraq and Afghanistan on us too. Must be plenty more strife around the world that the Scots are to blame for.

Yaass!!  Get it up ye Elders of Zion - we run the world now!

LondonCamanachd

Quote from: seafoid on March 08, 2012, 04:19:17 PM
Quote from: LondonCamanachd on March 08, 2012, 02:52:16 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 08, 2012, 01:29:49 PM
Quote from: deiseach on March 08, 2012, 08:59:39 AM
It's 99% certain that Rangers will be liquidated at this stage. The money simply isn't there, and that's even before you consider the results of the tax case. The next question is what becomes of the new entity that will rise out of the ashes. I've been scornful of Celtic fans and their conspiracy theories regarding Rangers over the years, but the extent to which the meeja have rowed in behind the idea that a piece of Scotland will die if Rangers are not saved is a real eye-opener. These, after all, are the same people who were merciless when Celtic were on the brink back in the early 90's. The upcoming battle between them and the revolting masses who are luxuriating in the demise of Rangers is going to be fascinating.

Is it really that surprising?  Rangers is as Scottish as religious bigotry and heart attacks.

Come again?

In what way is religious bigotry typically scottish?

Search me, but your sentence essentially reads "The whole pretendy irish/pretendy british thing and the irish organisation formed to combat the Society of United Irishmen nonsense".  Its a problem isolated to parts of West Central Scotland - those that suffered/benefitted from massive Irish immigration.  It simply does not exist in Edinburgh, Dundee, Aberdeen, the Borders or the Highlands.

QuoteIt's all way past its sell by date.  Nobody gives a sh*t about religion in Germany or Switzerland.

I don't know about Switzerland, but the Bundesrepublik is a great example of a tolerant modern european state.  Was it worth what their society went through to get there?  Who knows, it's too early to say...

The RoI is a very religiously homogeneous place, bigots need an "other" to hate.  There's even less anti-Protestant bigotry in Poland, because there's even less protestants.

Main Street

You have to give a bit of leeway to Seafold. Anybody who has only heard of the Celtic Conspiracies for the first time today, has a lot of waking up to do and it just isn't feasible  to do that in one day

michaelg

Search me, but your sentence essentially reads "The whole pretendy irish/pretendy british thing and the irish organisation formed to combat the Society of United Irishmen nonsense".  Its a problem isolated to parts of West Central Scotland - those that suffered/benefitted from massive Irish immigration.  It simply does not exist in Edinburgh, Dundee, Aberdeen, the Borders or the Highlands.

You ever been to a Hearts vs Celtic match?  Naked sectarianism on a par with anything the Old Firm can serve up.

LondonCamanachd

No I haven't.

Although my earlier statement's probably overstating it over a bit, as there's a NF element to the jam tarts support so it doesn't surprise.

Hibs, Aberdeen and Dundee thugs are most definitely equal opportunities c*nts tho'.

michaelg

Quote from: LondonCamanachd on March 08, 2012, 08:07:36 PM
No I haven't.

Although my earlier statement's probably overstating it over a bit, as there's a NF element to the jam tarts support so it doesn't surprise.

Hibs, Aberdeen and Dundee thugs are most definitely equal opportunities c*nts tho'.
It wasn't just the Hearts fans who were the problem.  Also, not convinced that there is not a sectarian element to Hibbees support.

LondonCamanachd

Quote from: michaelg on March 08, 2012, 08:18:26 PM
Quote from: LondonCamanachd on March 08, 2012, 08:07:36 PM
No I haven't.

It wasn't just the Hearts fans who were the problem.  Also, not convinced that there is not a sectarian element to Hibbees support.

Of course not - but the other lot are from West Central Scotland, which I'd already said was the heartland of the problem.

Hibs have had their problems with violence, but like Aberdeen and the two Dundee clubs, its been the football casuals rather than Grand Theft Ulster.  If anything, Hibees hate celtic more than they hate rangers, as celtic bribed the Hibs squad to switch teams back in the 1890s.

Main Street

1890 ;D

The rest of the Scottish fans  are just hurting,  jealous to the point of lunatic madness of the quality and successes of the fenian club, the impeccable record of their travelling fans wherever they travel around Europe and the praise heaped upon  the Celtic Park atmosphere by a lengthy list of the who's who in European football.

LondonCamanachd

Quote from: Main Street on March 08, 2012, 08:57:37 PM
1890 ;D

The rest of the Scottish fans  are just hurting,  jealous to the point of lunatic madness of the quality and successes of the fenian club, the impeccable record of their travelling fans wherever they travel around Europe and the praise heaped upon  the Celtic Park atmosphere by a lengthy list of the who's who in European football.

Fenian club?  I'll stick with a Football Club...

Main Street

Fair enough, but the Irish connection does grate.
I'm satisfied  to have to your agreement on the rest ;D

LondonCamanachd

Quote from: Main Street on March 08, 2012, 09:08:20 PM
Fair enough, but the Irish connection does grate.
I'm satisfied  to have to your agreement on the rest ;D

Sort of.  There are lots of football teams in Ireland, why do so many Irishmen follow a Scottish one?

I also find people like Phil Mac Giolla Bhian very strange. 

Nor are celtic the only Scottish team to be lauded for their supporters abroad.
http://www.sueddeutsche.de/sport/uefa-cup-stimmungsvolle-schafzuechter-1.261923

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on March 08, 2012, 09:51:43 AM

There will be an impact on Celtic if Rangers are liquidated and if the new club doesn't get straight into the SPL. They are called the Old Firm for a reason. The SPL itself is run by the two clubs with the 11-1 voting system giving them a veto over the rest. Take Rangers out and the rest would be able to out vote Celtic on pushing through reforms. Would all depend on the rest having the balls to do it.

Well perhaps the rest do have the balls and Celtic are about to be sidelined ;D ;D; http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17304341

As for the other points raised I agree that Hearts do have a small but vocal sectarian element in their crowd. The Hearts - Celtic match when Lennon was attacked was in the opinion of many one of the most unpleasant atmospheres in Scottish football for a long time. From both sets of fans. The suggestion that Hibs might have some kind of sectarian issue is way out of line. The background of the Edinburgh derby is Leith v Edinburgh rather than any kind of religious issue. I would guess that of the Hibs support there are more Protestants than Catholics (very few of whom probably even go to church ;D). It's just not an issue.

London Camanachd was correct in his reponse to seafoid, who is guilty of overstating the extent of sectarianism in Scotland. Yes there is a problem (perpetuated through two football clubs) but it is pretty much limited to small shithole towns in west central lowland Scotland and in parts of Glasgow, and is manifested mainly at football matches rather than in everyday life. seafoid mentioned the Orange Order as being one of the reasons Scotland has a sectarian problem - yet they are a tiny minority lunatic fringe movement here with no credibility or influence.