Mayo V Dublin - Castlebar - 11/02/12

Started by m@yoman, February 09, 2012, 07:56:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Quote from: Tubberman on February 24, 2012, 12:42:53 PM
Ah we're not going to go down the road of moving matches for the Rabo League are we!?
FFS we don't have to be that subservient.
No we're moving the game because it got called off due to bad weather. The fog must have cleared some memories.

Now they have picked March 31st for the replay and need to confirm between all stakeholders what the throw-in time will be.

On their website Setanta have confirmed they will be showing the game live, but throw-in time is TBC.

spuds

Quote from: Greenabovethered on February 24, 2012, 01:22:43 PM
Hold on! we can't have it at 6:30pm either as there is a Munster A –v- Leinster A under 20 challenge match on in Athlone at 6pm. Perhaps if we move the Mayo –Dublin match to Friday morning it won't interfere with any Rugby fixtures. Who gives a flying f*ck what on the other channel.

Exactly, we wont bend over for the rugby loving Dubs !
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Tubberman

Quote from: Hound on February 24, 2012, 01:41:20 PM
Ah we're not going to go down the road of moving matches for the Rabo League are we!?
No we're moving the game because it got called off due to bad weather. The fog must have cleared some memories.

Now they have picked March 31st for the replay and need to confirm between all stakeholders what the throw-in time will be.

On their website Setanta have confirmed they will be showing the game live, but throw-in time is TBC.

My memory is fine thanks. The match is already fixed for 7pm on 31st March.

Maybe you'd like to check the following:
http://www.gaa.ie/fixtures-and-results/national-fixtures/search-results/

Saturday March 31st, 2012

7 00 PM
    Allianz Football League Roinn 1 2012 Round 2
    Mayo
    vs.
    Dublin
    MacHale Park, Castlebar

Setanta
    Match Preview

Referee: TBC
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

sans pessimism

Quote from: Greenabovethered on February 24, 2012, 01:22:43 PM
Hold on! we can't have it at 6:30pm either as there is a Munster A –v- Leinster A under 20 challenge match on in Athlone at 6pm. Perhaps if we move the Mayo –Dublin match to Friday morning it won't interfere with any Rugby fixtures. Who gives a flying f*ck what on the other channel.
jeeez no way!.I have to collect the pension on Friday morn!!!
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Hound

Quote from: Tubberman on February 24, 2012, 03:15:30 PM
Quote from: Hound on February 24, 2012, 01:41:20 PM

My memory is fine thanks. The match is already fixed for 7pm on 31st March.

Maybe you'd like to check the following:
http://www.gaa.ie/fixtures-and-results/national-fixtures/search-results/

Saturday March 31st, 2012

7 00 PM
    Allianz Football League Roinn 1 2012 Round 2
    Mayo
    vs.
    Dublin
    MacHale Park, Castlebar

Setanta
    Match Preview

Referee: TBC

That may well be the case, or gaa.ie could be wrong again. Setanta and the DCB sites still say the time hasnt been fixed yet. My point is that whatever time its finally fixed for there's no need for any of the "subservient" hyperbole nonsense. I'm sure under the contract that Setanta and the GAA have signed, that Setanta can give input into what throw-in time would suit their schedule best. And they may or may not take account of other events being covered live in Ireland that day when making their decision as to what time to fix this re-fixture for.

Farrandeelin

I hope Dublin can keep 15 men on the field for the whole game. Or else we'll get a man sent off late on and probably lose.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Ballyshannon may turn out to have been a blessing in disguise. While losing to Cork in the manner we did was a bit careless a lot of stuff improved. Imo the two Davitts players improved the set up significantly. Boyle has gone away and got stronger and brought great aggression. He obviously wants to play badly and was always a good footballer. Conroy can  win his ball and score but equally important he knows when to lay it off. 2 important additions imo.

COC s form is a worry. I believe he is carrying an injury and if so he should be rested with getting him right the priority. If it is just a pace/form issue then........ We lost the midfield battle to Cork but we wont be the only ones to do so. We still had our best2 midfielders out there with Aidan suspended so not a lot more could be done. Apart from a couple of nervous moments I thought Danny Geraghty showed he has something to offer. He has the physicality for it anyway.

Lee Keegan is an important player for us already and I wonder would he be better in a central role with Vaughan at 5 with more licence to drive on. I always thought Geraghty might be a 6. I m sure it must have occured to many people that Geraghty has the physique for 3 if he has the radar for the position.

Losing SOS as well was unfortunate going down the stretch v Cork. That, losing Keegan and a few missed frees was the difference. It still should have been closed out though. In the 70th minute we were still a point up and yet took a quick free - while we had a player lying injured on the ground! Moments later we had a forward 'cross' the ball from the corner to the far post which of course Cork came away with and scored below. A maddening cameo of Mayo football. We slow down frees when we should be moving ball early and take quick ones when we should be killing the oppositions momentum. As for 'crossing' the ball? I m trying to think when it is an acceptable option. It hardly ever is and certainly not going into injury time when you re hanging on. Recycle it or take on the man to try and win a free that would kill the game are the only options there. We have to get smarter and fast.

Interesting that DePaor was convinced that Higgins should be in the hb line to use his pace to better effect. But can we afford to take him out? 

We can t experiment too much for the next game. It s a winnable game if we don t stand around gawking at them. I d like to see the following line up for this one.Clarke, McHale/Keane, Cafferkey, Higgins, Keegan, Vaughan, Boyle, Moran, AOS, Dillon, Andy, Kevin Mac, Conoreen, Freeman, Conroy.

Still a small team but we re just going to have to live with a good sprinkling of smallers.

joemamas

Quote from: moysider on March 26, 2012, 09:18:44 PM
Ballyshannon may turn out to have been a blessing in disguise. While losing to Cork in the manner we did was a bit careless a lot of stuff improved. Imo the two Davitts players improved the set up significantly. Boyle has gone away and got stronger and brought great aggression. He obviously wants to play badly and was always a good footballer. Conroy can  win his ball and score but equally important he knows when to lay it off. 2 important additions imo.

COC s form is a worry. I believe he is carrying an injury and if so he should be rested with getting him right the priority. If it is just a pace/form issue then........ We lost the midfield battle to Cork but we wont be the only ones to do so. We still had our best2 midfielders out there with Aidan suspended so not a lot more could be done. Apart from a couple of nervous moments I thought Danny Geraghty showed he has something to offer. He has the physicality for it anyway.

Lee Keegan is an important player for us already and I wonder would he be better in a central role with Vaughan at 5 with more licence to drive on. I always thought Geraghty might be a 6. I m sure it must have occured to many people that Geraghty has the physique for 3 if he has the radar for the position.

Losing SOS as well was unfortunate going down the stretch v Cork. That, losing Keegan and a few missed frees was the difference. It still should have been closed out though. In the 70th minute we were still a point up and yet took a quick free - while we had a player lying injured on the ground! Moments later we had a forward 'cross' the ball from the corner to the far post which of course Cork came away with and scored below. A maddening cameo of Mayo football. We slow down frees when we should be moving ball early and take quick ones when we should be killing the oppositions momentum. As for 'crossing' the ball? I m trying to think when it is an acceptable option. It hardly ever is and certainly not going into injury time when you re hanging on. Recycle it or take on the man to try and win a free that would kill the game are the only options there. We have to get smarter and fast.

Interesting that DePaor was convinced that Higgins should be in the hb line to use his pace to better effect. But can we afford to take him out? 

We can t experiment too much for the next game. It s a winnable game if we don t stand around gawking at them. I d like to see the following line up for this one.Clarke, McHale/Keane, Cafferkey, Higgins, Keegan, Vaughan, Boyle, Moran, AOS, Dillon, Andy, Kevin Mac, Conoreen, Freeman, Conroy.

Still a small team but we re just going to have to live with a good sprinkling of smallers.

Thanks for the report, 10x better than crap from independent and irish times

rosnarun

having seen Freeman in the last few games there is very little reason to start him against dublin. he really needs to go back and find his form agin . he has been given enough chances to find it on the pitch. i think our weak bench is beginning to show the folly of dropping Kilcoyne and esp ronaldson who is a top class footballer . but i feel predjudice against his height is coming against him
Tom Parsons too is being wasted while the far inferior Gibbons and geraghty (both  Ballintubber)  are being held in the panel to little advantage.
the worst part of mayo performance  ahaonst cork was the way Mclauglin was used as an extra defender even when mayo had a bumerical advantage . they were killed from the short kickout  but now change was coming from the sideline. there is a definete stubburn strak showing let hope JH does cut his nose to spite his face.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 27, 2012, 05:03:00 PM
Quote from: heffo on March 27, 2012, 02:30:18 PM
Quote from: moysider on March 27, 2012, 02:22:30 PM

Came across this.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/mayo-lack-winning-mentality-188525.html

Damning words

Sad thing is, they're true.

Fear not Mayo chaps......thing is the Dublin lads had to listen to all that meeja shite talk until they finally landed Sam........................... your day will come too  ;)

the Deel Rover

Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001