Mayo V Dublin - Castlebar - 11/02/12

Started by m@yoman, February 09, 2012, 07:56:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joemamas

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on February 12, 2012, 12:07:48 AM
From a Mayo performance, the Dubs showed us tonight how football should be played. If it wasn't for Keith Higgins the game would have been over after 30 mins. How does it always take a Mayo team 40 passes to reach the oppositions half forward line? then when we get there the ball is passed along "the gain line" back and over until it is taken into the tackle where is is spilled, fouled or kicked poorly towards goal. The Dubs tonight scored 4 points tonight and the most number of passes was 5 passes. 2 points were scored after just 3 passes. Let there be no mistake, the dubs were ready to hand us a spanking until the sending off. Very disappointing overall.

Quote from: moysider on February 12, 2012, 10:13:31 PM
Would not read too much into last night. I think we would have won the game and would have won it even 15 v 15.

We started brightly enough but usual messing by usual suspects handed initiative to Dubs and they capitalised on it. How many of their scores came from Mayo in possession and cheap turn overs - loose ball and kicks dropped short? Most I would say. Its a reoccuring Mayo disease and the only cure is to cull those displaying the symptons. we all know who they are.

The full back line has taken a hammering in comments but the reality is that both our full back line and our full forward line were behind their men. I blame the full forward line more because they used any ball the did manage to get poorly and our fb line was repeatedly exposed on the counter. But the problems started at the other end mostly.

Anyway now is the time to learn lessons about these guys, but some have been repeating same lessons for some time so it s unlikely we will see a selection like that again. James Horan got an extra 35 minutes to assess stuff for free. He looked like a man that was not surprised by the stuff that was happening and he actually identified where the problems lie well, after the match.

Anyway that selection was light years away from what should be the championship team. Horan was talking about taking the league seriuosly but that team was winging it until the game was abandoned.

Moysider,

Two very differant analysis of the game , appreciate your detailed post. In light of the above, what do you think James Horan's  Championship team will be. Not to try to influence your selection, but Freeman for me does not have the aggression/determination for championship football.

moysider

Quote from: joemamas on February 13, 2012, 04:14:04 PM
From a Mayo performance, the Dubs showed us tonight how football should be played. If it wasn't for Keith Higgins the game would have been over after 30 mins. How does it always take a Mayo team 40 passes to reach the oppositions half forward line? then when we get there the ball is passed along "the gain line" back and over until it is taken into the tackle where is is spilled, fouled or kicked poorly towards goal. The Dubs tonight scored 4 points tonight and the most number of passes was 5 passes. 2 points were scored after just 3 passes. Let there be no mistake, the dubs were ready to hand us a spanking until the sending off. Very disappointing overall.

Would not read too much into last night. I think we would have won the game and would have won it even 15 v 15.

We started brightly enough but usual messing by usual suspects handed initiative to Dubs and they capitalised on it. How many of their scores came from Mayo in possession and cheap turn overs - loose ball and kicks dropped short? Most I would say. Its a reoccuring Mayo disease and the only cure is to cull those displaying the symptons. we all know who they are.

The full back line has taken a hammering in comments but the reality is that both our full back line and our full forward line were behind their men. I blame the full forward line more because they used any ball the did manage to get poorly and our fb line was repeatedly exposed on the counter. But the problems started at the other end mostly.

Anyway now is the time to learn lessons about these guys, but some have been repeating same lessons for some time so it s unlikely we will see a selection like that again. James Horan got an extra 35 minutes to assess stuff for free. He looked like a man that was not surprised by the stuff that was happening and he actually identified where the problems lie well, after the match.

Anyway that selection was light years away from what should be the championship team. Horan was talking about taking the league seriuosly but that team was winging it until the game was abandoned.

Moysider,

Two very differant analysis of the game , appreciate your detailed post. In light of the above, what do you think James Horan's  Championship team will be. Not to try to influence your selection, but Freeman for me does not have the aggression/determination for championship football.

The team needs to develop between now and championship. I don t know what James Horan is thinking so ...... But he must be concerned about the full-forward line. If we could get that right we would be a serious team. It was depressing the last night to see the rot set in from high up the pitch again, Our most experienced ff player dropped one short, followed this by a shot blocked down and was then stipped a few times. We have to be able to win and  use the ball inside more consistently if we re to be able to win important games.

I believe 11 will be O Connors best position but we might not be able to afford to play him there yet. And why play McLoughlin at 10 when he can give so much width and shape at 12 - is it because Dillon prefers to play 12. McLoughlin and O Connor in a half forward line should be the lads we look to to control the game but on Saturday they were often bypassed as those around them made it up as it went along. I not sure either we can afford 3 men in ff line. They re only helping defenders by running accross each others space. Likes of Freeman should be running onto ball. And we could have done with a covering defender as well.

Maybe Kirby might be able to provide a proper target inside. He s also an option for wing forward. Fellas like Michael Conroy and Andy will improve things as well, I have no doubt. Regan too would add real pace and threat. I hope you r wrong about Freeman.

ballinaman

Michael Conroy was a constant threat in the intermediate final, serious pace and strong in the tackle. Colm Boyle could be worth a look at corner back too.

joemamas

Quote from: moysider on February 13, 2012, 06:10:43 PM

Moysider,

The team needs to develop between now and championship. I don t know what James Horan is thinking so ...... But he must be concerned about the followed line. If we could get that right we would be a serious team. It was depressing the last night to see the rot set in from high up the pitch again, Our most experienced ff player dropped one short, followed this by a shot blocked down and was then stopped a few times. We have to be able to win and  use the ball inside more consistently if we re to be able to win important games.

I believe 11 will be O Connors best position but we might not be able to afford to play him there yet. And why play McLoughlin at 10 when he can give so much width and shape at 12 - is it because Dillon prefers to play 12. McLoughlin and O Connor in a half forward line should be the lads we look to to control the game but on Saturday they were often bypassed as those around them made it up as it went along. I not sure either we can afford 3 men in ff line. They re only helping defenders by running accross each others space. Likes of Freeman should be running onto ball. And we could have done with a covering defender as well.

Maybe Kirby might be able to provide a proper target inside. He s also an option for wing forward. Fellas like Michael Conroy and Andy will improve things as well, I have no doubt. Regan too would add real pace and threat. I hope you r wrong about Freeman.

I was very optimistic at the end of last year/early this year. I liked JH approach of bringing new blood in. No guarantees etc. However if our game plan is short passing in the middle third of the field, we will be on a hiding to nothing. This tactic backfired on Kerry last year, and I would have to believe they are a little bit better than us. When I think back to the Cork game we were dispossessed in the midfield/ area numerous times over carring the ball, which led to multiple scores and on another day that game could have been over by halftime.

Do not want to single out Freeman, he has the talent, but I have seen him in a number of club games and his workrate did not impress me. O Connor is lethal inside, but lacks that little bit of pace for the half forwards. Not sure that is an option. Alan Dillon has a great work rate and is very skillful, but his lack of physicality results in him getting stood up in the tackle too often, followed by the recycling process and resulting in advantage to the opposition.

I am aware we are a work in progress, with progress being the opportune word. A semifinal appearance should be a realistic goal.

moysider

Quote from: ballinaman on February 13, 2012, 06:16:29 PM
Michael Conroy was a constant threat in the intermediate final, serious pace and strong in the tackle. Colm Boyle could be worth a look at corner back too.

Wing back I think. Playing him in the corner could destroy him again. He s a footballer. If you want an antifootball corner man you go with Michael Walsh. That s supposed to be a recommendation for Walsh by the way.

moysider

Quote from: joemamas on February 13, 2012, 06:29:59 PM
Quote from: moysider on February 13, 2012, 06:10:43 PM

Moysider,

The team needs to develop between now and championship. I don t know what James Horan is thinking so ...... But he must be concerned about the followed line. If we could get that right we would be a serious team. It was depressing the last night to see the rot set in from high up the pitch again, Our most experienced ff player dropped one short, followed this by a shot blocked down and was then stopped a few times. We have to be able to win and  use the ball inside more consistently if we re to be able to win important games.

I was very optimistic at the end of last year/early this year. I liked JH approach of bringing new blood in. No guarantees etc. However if our game plan is short passing in the middle third of the field, we will be on a hiding to nothing. This tactic backfired on Kerry last year, and I would have to believe they are a little bit better than us. When I think back to the Cork game we were dispossessed in the midfield/ area numerous times over carring the ball, which led to multiple scores and on another day that game could have been over by halftime.

Do not want to single out Freeman, he has the talent, but I have seen him in a number of club games and his workrate did not impress me. O Connor is lethal inside, but lacks that little bit of pace for the half forwards. Not sure that is an option. Alan Dillon has a great work rate and is very skillful, but his lack of physicality results in him getting stood up in the tackle too often, followed by the recycling process and resulting in advantage to the opposition.

I am aware we are a work in progress, with progress being the opportune word. A semifinal appearance should be a realistic goal.

Lack of pace is the reason I would play O Connor in half forward line eventually. Last year we ended up with a slow ff line against Kerry. We have to get real pace into the forwards. Think of the O Sullivans, Gooch and the Brogans. Conoreen and Varley dont have the pace threat as well as being awfully one sided. Last August a 34 year old Tom O Sullivan (often considered vulnerable to pace) had Varley sussed after 20 mins) ( not very fast and completely one-sided) and looked very comfortable after. At no stage did Kerry need to cover their full back line so they could concentrate on attack. We need to keep teams more honest by having a greater threat inside.

It s a personal thing but I would go with a mixture of pace and guile inside, with the option of a big mobile man if needed. Lets say likes of Regan, Andy, Conroy or Freeman with Kirby as plan B. A playmaker like Cillian at 11. Kevin Mc at 12 and either go with a bigger man like Kirby or Harte for presence at 10. Or Dillon  for a bit of experience and quality at 10. But as you say we have to cut out running into traffic and off-loading under pressure and turning over. Players that continue to do that should be dropped - no matter who they are or how good they think they are. If there is a game plan and players refuse to play it, or cant play to instruction then ..... An odd spectacular thing sandwiched between several errors is unacceptable from any player.

ballinaman

Quote from: moysider on February 13, 2012, 06:48:58 PM

Wing back I think. Playing him in the corner could destroy him again. He s a footballer. If you want an antifootball corner man you go with Michael Walsh. That s supposed to be a recommendation for Walsh by the way.
True, he has some engine on him. could be wasted in the corner as you said. Showed unbelievable bravery in a 50/50 with a lad twice the size of him and shipped some belt when the Miltown lad had to be carried off.

Cosmo Kramer

Quote from: ballinaman on February 13, 2012, 09:17:22 PM
Quote from: moysider on February 13, 2012, 06:48:58 PM

True, he has some engine on him. could be wasted in the corner as you said. Showed unbelievable bravery in a 50/50 with a lad twice the size of him and shipped some belt when the Miltown lad had to be carried off.

Really don't want to see Colm Boyle in the corner for Mayo again, that was tried once before in a Connacht championship and was a disaster. The lad is a wing back for me and deserves a shot there for a couple of league games. I'd personally love to see us pick an anti-football corner back, sounds like just what we need. Having said that I know little about Michael Walsh but I have no interest in seeing any of our full back line bombing forward, we have eleven other players to do that job.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

moysider

I d love to see the following to get a game or two in the league.

Clarke.

Walsh. Cafferkey. Higgins.

Boyle. Vaughan. Moran.

Moran      An O Sé

Kirby/Harte/Dillon  C O Con.  K McL

Freeman      Andy/Kirby     Conroy.

Not saying that should be championship team but its where we should be heading imo.

Likes of Trevor will come back into the mix and a  younger lad or 2  are soon enough for a few months yet.

sans pessimism

Quote from: moysider on February 13, 2012, 10:23:32 PM

I d love to see the following to get a game or two in the league.

Clarke.

Walsh. Cafferkey. Higgins.

Boyle. Vaughan. Moran.

Moran      An O Sé

Kirby/Harte/Dillon C O Con.  K McL

Freeman      Andy/Kirby     Conroy.

Not saying that should be championship team but its where we should be heading imo.

Likes of Trevor will come back into the mix and a  younger lad or 2  are soon enough for a few months yet.
Cil is a 13/15 a la Gooch.He has to be
used as close to goal as possible
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Farrandeelin

Quote from: spuds on February 13, 2012, 01:10:02 AM
Is Trevor Mortimer injured ?

He's working in the UAE if the Shruleman who was talking t my dad is correct. He said he will be back for the summer more than likely.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Farrandeelin

Game refixed for 7pm on 31st of March.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Hound

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 23, 2012, 07:23:54 PM
Game refixed for 7pm on 31st of March.
Munster v Leinster is on at 7.30pm that night. Only RaboDirect league match, but still a big enough event, which will be live on RTE.

If TG4 or Setanta are going to cover Mayo v Dublin, to keep viewership up they might bring throw-in forward to 6pm.

Tubberman

Ah we're not going to go down the road of moving matches for the Rabo League are we!?
FFS we don't have to be that subservient.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Greenabovethered

Hold on! we can't have it at 6:30pm either as there is a Munster A –v- Leinster A under 20 challenge match on in Athlone at 6pm. Perhaps if we move the Mayo –Dublin match to Friday morning it won't interfere with any Rugby fixtures. Who gives a flying f*ck what on the other channel.