An Unexpected Road

Started by laoislad, February 06, 2012, 12:20:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynchbhoy

Best of luck and fortitude for the future LL.

ziggysego

Thanks for sharing the news with us LL and I hope it some small way, it has helped you in coming to terms with young EĆ³ghan's difficulties. I know you from the board and off the board and I'll know you'll be a tower of strength in the wee lad's life and there'll be nothing that will stop him reaching his full potential.

These coming months will be hard on both yourself and Mrs. LL, you're on a learning curve and most of what you'll be reading and learning, will be the worst case scenario.

Hang in there lad and you know where I am, if you need a sounding board.  :)
Testing Accessibility

rootthemout

emotional read laoislad thanks for sharing with us,best of luck to you and the family for the future,Eoghan will be your pride and joy.

ONeill

First of all - congratulations - may your eye-rings get darker and your hair completely disappear. Secondly - a wonderfully courageous and honest post. It says a lot about you, the man. Finally - Eoghan doesn't have to support Liverpool y'know. At least show him the delights of London and leave it up to him!
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

HiMucker

Fair play lad, an excellent piece of writing and very moving.

My younger brother had downs syndrome, and I know you said you hate the whole "god only gives special children to special parents" line and all that stuff, but I am basically an atheist (probably just not committing, as I want the right to change my mind when it may suit!) and it is one of the only things that makes me think that there is a greater power.  The experiences that I had with my younger brother and the various other children with downs that I met through him are responsible for this belief.  From my experience children/people with downs syndrome represent everything that is good about human nature.  They are the most loving, generous and happy people you can meet.   God only knows what parents like yourself and my own went through when doctors broke the news, but I can safely say without a doubt that it was the best thing that ever happened our family.  I suppose we were lucky, as there never was any other health problems, and my brother led a very full and active life.  He was a great swimmer in particular.  I could tell you countless funny and good will stories.  He would have no concept of a simple thing like "look, that bunch of bananas is to do the week".   You would need to hide one or two for yourself.  I also remember coming down stairs one morning and he had toasted the whole loaf of bread, and had stacked it on a plate!  To be fair between the two of us we weren't far off eating the lot.  I also remember going on family holiday to Florida, and big US customs guy, who are no craic at all, came over to us with a big sour face asking to check our bags and that.  My brother asked him "did he want a hug"  the guy just smiled, and brightened up instantly, and sent us on our way.  Could have had anything in them cases!
I hope everything goes well for yous, and that your sons biggest obsatcle is that you have forced him to be a Laois supporter!

Up The Middle

Great post LL, reading it with a tear in my eye ( just had a wee man ourselves), dont know how i would have reacted myself. You taking the time to write this will undoubtably help someone else in your position and you should be commended for that.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

ross4life

Compelling story Laoislad, many couples across the world are unable to have there own children so remember regardless of his condition you & yours have been given the gift of life. Best luck to yourself,mom & son hopefully that road can be a smooth as it can possibly be for here on in.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

southdown

Inspirational post LL.  If I am doing any charity events this year I will ensure all funds go towards a down syndrome charity after reading that. 

Good luck.

Norf Tyrone

He's a lucky lad to have a father so honest, and brave.

Congratulations LL.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Applesisapples

LL great post and totally honest. Congratulations. Children are a blessing and each one is different and I am sure your son will give you much to be proud of. Benny Coulter paid a lovely tribute to his brother in his column in the Irish News a while back. Worth a read.
God Bless

attheraces

My god, brought a tear to my eye that. Fair play LL, and best of luck to you and your family in the future.
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.

maggie

A very moving piece to read-thank you for sharing LL.
I wish you and Mrs LL and Baby Eoghan all the best for the future. 

Oraisteach

Laoislad,

Thanks for having the guts to share your feelings online, and so eloquently too.  I know that having Eoghan born with DS must be hard on you and your wife, but it seems to me that team Laois is off to the right start with this post.

As J70 pointed out, much has changed over the past 20 years not only in the treatment of Down Syndrome but also in society's attitude to it.

I have a friend whose daughter has DS and have taught many kids whose siblings have DS, and in every case the parents/brothers/sisters have loved the child deeply and what's more the child him/herself has been a source of immense love and goodness.

It's tough on the two of you right now, I know, but in time Eoghan, despite his challenges, will be an ever-increasing cradle of joy in your lives.

So, congratulations to you and your wife on the birth of your boy.   

Agent Orange

A very moving piece, written from the heart. Young Eoghan will do well in life with a loving father like you. Best of luck to you and your wife and congratulations on the birth of your son.

Hashtag

I haven't read anyone else's comments just the opening post.

It's a very brave and honest post. Honest as you have bared your soul but brave as you have done it in front of everyone on this forum. Written down for all to see and access at anytime.
I think this exercise would of been very therapeutical for yourself and although you say you don't want sympathy or comfort but the knowledge that others have shared similar experiences would no doubt comfort you.

I'm say it is fair that all of us have saw parent with a child with DS and quietly thought to ourselves 'that would be a life sentence' but we would never utter it out loud. The child obviously needs strong parents more than most and to be fair to you LL you seem like a strong man. Anyone who is in your situation would go through the same range of emotions. All I can say to you, is show the world the man that you are and give little Eoghan the father he deserves. Come back to these messages and few years down the line and you know it will all of been worth it.