KEVIN McGOURTY

Started by goal 10, February 05, 2012, 07:03:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAULD123

Quote from: ck on February 06, 2012, 11:20:55 PM
WHY ON EARTH WAS McGOURTY INTERVIEWED? WHO IS HE? SOME PART TIME ANTRIM FOOTBALLER WHO HAS BIG OPINIONS AND IS NOT LIKED BY MANY?

Firstly the GAA is amateur so by definition all footballers are part-time.

As for his credentials, I don't know if it was genuine injuries, lack of ambition or laziness that explains why he hasn't played nearly as much inter-county football as he should have. but that doesn't mean that he isn't blessed with talent. McGourty has great vision and accuracy and is a naturally skilful footballer of the type that neutrals pay money to watch playing. It is a pity that, for whatever reason, there has been very little chance to appreciate those skills, but they are definitely there.

However, why he was interviewed? - Well, he's from Antrim so handy for the lazy Belfast reporters to talk to. Sure why would they bother their arses tripping down to Fermanagh to get Peter's opinion or brave the Glenshane pass to speak to a Bradley?

Radda bout yeee

Quote from: Don Johnson on February 06, 2012, 08:37:09 PM
Quote from: Radda bout yeee on February 06, 2012, 09:38:42 AM
Quote from: ONeill on February 05, 2012, 10:17:38 PM
As usual, a lot of men prepared to chat about someone's personality on here without having met them.

I've met him and as I said before the man's a c*ck IMO!

I am sure you said that to his face of course? Or did you just wait to bad mouth him on here?

Well I really didn't want to get into it but as a matter of fact I did tell him what I thought of him - at QUB! so whats your point now?

Sanchez

A very talented footballer, and as someone who knows him personally, a character to boot. Better than most modern GAA intercounty players who trot out the same lines every week like bleating sheep. It is refreshing and honest to listen to someone like Mc Gourty, even if not all he says is spot on.

Minder

Quote from: Sanchez on February 07, 2012, 10:50:04 AM
A very talented footballer, and as someone who knows him personally, a character to boot. Better than most modern GAA intercounty players who trot out the same lines every week like bleating sheep. It is refreshing and honest to listen to someone like Mc Gourty, even if not all he says is spot on.

Most inter county footballers seem to put all their efforts and time into, well funny enough, playing football and seem to have no time or inclination for attention seeking in the media.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

thewobbler

Quote from: Minder on February 07, 2012, 11:57:36 AM

Most inter county footballers seem to put all their efforts and time into, well funny enough, playing football and seem to have no time or inclination for attention seeking in the media.

Minder, having the ability to talk the talk and walk the walk should not be mutually exclusive.

Orchardman

I try not to badmouth people too much if i dont know them, but plenty of mates who were involved with QUB in the day wouldn't have a good word about this fella. My main gripe is why his comments appear every now and then in the press, it used to be only the rubbish irish news paper that rang him all the time. But the guys supporting him on here are as bad, saying that he's refreshing for speaking out with honesty. What's refreshing?

he said he knows a manager on 35 grand
he says donegal played shite football

Big wow, is any of this any news to us, heard it a hundred times. He's living off winning an all ireland with st galls, fair play, i'd be delighted if all i ever did was win an all ireland senior with my club. But don't talk about endless talent, we all know people with unreal talent who didn't use it. Plus i watched him in 3 big games and he was average, especially final against cross few years back

Minder

Quote from: thewobbler on February 07, 2012, 12:04:23 PM
Quote from: Minder on February 07, 2012, 11:57:36 AM

Minder, having the ability to talk the talk and walk the walk should not be mutually exclusive.

I know that but I would say there are plenty that could be as "enlightening" as McGourty, and I don't get this breath of fresh air (he has been a divisive influence on teams) that apparently comes with him. They maybe just dont want the profile and the extra scrutiny that comes with being an amateur player.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

diageo

Quote from: Radda bout yeee on February 07, 2012, 10:37:54 AM
As usual, a lot of men prepared to chat about someone's personality on here without having met them.

I am sure you said that to his face of course? Or did you just wait to bad mouth him on here?

Well I really didn't want to get into it but as a matter of fact I did tell him what I thought of him - at QUB! so whats your point now?

I would be very surprised that a poor reserve player like yourself, who is scared stiff on the field but does plenty of slabbering on here, would have the balls to say anything to him ! come on now tell the truth  :D

glens abu

Quote from: diageo on February 07, 2012, 12:43:48 PM

I would be very surprised that a poor reserve player like yourself, who is scared stiff on the field but does plenty of slabbering on here, would have the balls to say anything to him ! come on now tell the truth  :D

Why is McGourty a hard man as well as a great football failed politician and GAA hack?

Radda bout yeee

Diageo Back for another dig!
Seems like you've joined just to follow me about (glad someones interested in me) - did your time on the sidelines not give you time to think?
POT KETTLE BLACK!

Puckoon

There used to be two sides to McGourty - the eejit and the footballer. Now the footballer is running out of years and soon all that will be left will be the eejit. A fantastic talent that has never really fulfilled his potential (too much of the eejit had something to do with this). One of my favourite players to watch - but an awful f**king eejit.

He used to stand outside the bot with his shirt pulled up telling the girls to come over and 'feel the divine'.  :D

Heartbroken

Now we're getting very personal. I would be surprised if a new poster like yourself, who is scared stiff that he sets up a new name to attack someone else, would have the balls to say anything to the poster you attacked and prob dont even know!! Poor show!

spuds

Quote from: Heartbroken on February 07, 2012, 03:48:04 PM

Now we're getting very personal. I would be surprised if a new poster like yourself, who is scared stiff that he sets up a new name to attack someone else, would have the balls to say anything to the poster you attacked and prob dont even know!! Poor show!

Comedy Gold here. Poster with 10 posts calling another poster a new poster and getting worked up about his contribution.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Milltown Row2

Didn't realise the board had so many hard men!! And so many reserve players ;) would all the crap reserve players please leave now.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea