NFL Division 2 2012

Started by Jinxy, January 28, 2012, 03:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Fuzzman on March 19, 2012, 08:39:01 AM
Was reading on the GAA website their that Division 1 are having semi finals and then the final but Div 2 is just having the final on 29th April. Is this usually the way? I thought they did away with semi finals altogether. Kildare would probably love a second go at us.

Semifinals were brought in for Division One teams this year. I actually held out some hope Mayo might get to the league semi-final. However, I'll probably be posting in the Division 2 2013 thread next year.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

armaghniac

I think semi-finals in a league with 8 teams in the division is ridiculous. Then there are complaints about too many games for clubs and so on, this means that some teams have games and some don't. A 10 team division and no final at all would be wiser.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Bill Haven on March 18, 2012, 07:57:18 PM
Monaghan were woeful alright but I was impressed by Westmeath.

Best performances I've seen at this level from Ger Egan and David Glennon by a distance. Ran the Monaghan defence ragged and their movement gave the midfield easy options.

Win was blighted by some injuries to key players though. Kieran Gavin, Garry Connaughton, Kieran Martin and Michael Ennis all hurt.

Decent chance of staying up now. I thought we'd be dead and buried by this stage.

Spot on Bill. David Glennon was a completely different player from the one who turned up in Omagh, he finally looked like the player he threatened to be underage. Ger Egan was a level above though, brilliant performance, he's got better with every game since he came back from injury, can he step it up again for Wednesday? Denis made some difference as well, he even looked like he could do a job full back there at the end.  :D

1-19 was some score to put up with only 1 point coming from a free, memories of the Offaly league game last year, we better not flop again in our next couple of games.

Kevin Maguire is looking a real player as well in the corner and Callum McCormack did well when he came on. It's looking a lot better for Westmeath now than at the start of the league. Hopefully the injuries aren't serious, I thought Kieran Gavin looked a bit off the pace before he pulled up. All to play for now, it'll all come down to the last game against Derry I'd say, could be another winner takes all.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Dinny Breen

Congrats to Tyrone on their promotion, out-standing effort.
#newbridgeornowhere

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

bhgmk

No matter how bad Div 2 is, Div 3 is not a wonderful prospect  :(

Shamrock Shore

Am I allowed to post in here now as Longford have just got the keys to Div 2 for 2013? I spose all ye boys will be marking yere games v us as a certain 2 points!!!

Shamrock Shore

Our stay to Div 2 may be of a 'Wham, Bam, thank you Mam' type.

But we'll have fun travelling to the exotic places not normally seen in Jan and Feb. And we'll give a good hearty welcome in Pearse Park to our visitors.

With the help of God Meath stay in Div 2 as well as the Lakers as I always look forward to jousts with these two.

Maguire01

Monaghan's disaster of a campaign continues, having been up by 5 points before half time, to lose by 5 in the end... It looks like 2 relegations in two years.

My guess would be Monaghan and Westmeath both losing their last games (v Tyrone and Derry respectively), both being level on 4 points and Monaghan dropping to D3 on the basis of losing the head to head.

Maguire01

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 25, 2012, 04:13:07 PM
Monaghan's disaster of a campaign continues, having been up by 5 points before half time, to lose by 5 in the end... It looks like 2 relegations in two years.

My guess would be Monaghan and Westmeath both losing their last games (v Tyrone and Derry respectively), both being level on 4 points and Monaghan dropping to D3 on the basis of losing the head to head.
Update - just noticed Louth's draw with Derry - now if Louth, Westmeath and Monaghan all lost on the last day, Monaghan are most likely to survive as head to head is replaced by scoring difference.

Although part of me wonders if that would just let this management team off the hook and prolong the pain for another year.

haranguerer

Ask Meath there and I'd say they'll be happy enough to give yis the banty back...

Maguire01

Quote from: haranguerer on March 25, 2012, 04:25:42 PM
Ask Meath there and I'd say they'll be happy enough to give yis the banty back...
And I'd be more than happy to have him back. I predicted disaster when he was ousted and that's what it has been. Unless there was some super high-profile manager in the wings, there was absolutely no reason to get rid of him.

haranguerer

More fool you!

We've had this debate before, but to reiterate, its partly Bantys fault M'han are in this position. He didnt build for the future enough, and in truth, after a relatively successful period there was always likely to be a dip

GalwayBayBoy

Galway v Kildare on Easter Sunday for promotion.

Galway have home advantage but Kildare are definitely favourites. They seem to have shaken off their slow start and are now back motoring again. Fairly dismantled Westmeath today.

Maguire01

Quote from: haranguerer on March 25, 2012, 04:41:39 PM
More fool you!

We've had this debate before, but to reiterate, its partly Bantys fault M'han are in this position. He didnt build for the future enough, and in truth, after a relatively successful period there was always likely to be a dip

Yes, a dip was likely - a county the size of Monaghan won't maintain a team in the top flight for long periods. But things appear to be going downhill rapidly. The qualifier result against Offaly last summer and potential relegation two years in a row (or even a narrow escape on the last day) is more than just a dip... it's a nosedive.

As for Banty 'not building for the future', how many great new players has McEnaney unearthed to date? He has brought back Freeman and McQuaid, the team is still reliant on the likes of Clerkin, Lennon and Finlay... of the younger players, Banty had already brought in the likes of McManus, Kieran and Darren Hughes, Walsh, McAdam, Hanratty, Morgan... all part of the current league squad.

This notion that Banty ignored some vast amount of young talent in the county is a myth. Monaghan has a limited pool of talent - that's just the reality. McEnaney has uncovered 3, maybe 4 new players that might be up to Championship standard - that's about it.