NFL Division 3 2012

Started by Syferus, January 28, 2012, 05:24:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benny Sweeney

Quote from: Syferus on March 09, 2012, 08:32:05 PM
Ah jayus lads, the only fools are the ones falling for the painfully obvious baiting.
I have ebery right to comment on Ros GAA so mind your own. why dont you go off and whinge about ballagdreen on boards.ie besides having a go at me!

Syferus

Gold

We havent won an Ulster Football title from 1951. I'd swap the last 10 hurling titles for a football one this year.

If we were in Connaght i'd say we'd have won at least one since 1951. Troubles hit us harder than any other county.

We're getting our house in order and improving, as we should with a county our size.

As for Sunday, hard to call, we've played with a fair bit of pace so far this year although we were lucky enough v Sligo to get a win we were comfortable v Tipp and then Offaly (who were v poor).

Couldnt tell you what Ros are like these days although with home advantage i'd say the bookies have them favourites
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Syferus

Totally beautiful day today and the same promised tomorrow. Should be a fantastic game!

Aaron Boone

I can't see many away teams being up for a 12.45pm start in Semple. Tipp evens to win.

Aaron Boone

Cavan had their Weetabix this morning.

Tipp 0-5 Cavan 2-6 at the interval.

ross4life

We lead 1-7 to 1-3 full value for that 4 point lead, no shine today his replacement d mcdermott playing well hopefully more of the same in the 2nd half
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

ross4life

Great win back in the promotion race but that was awful stuff from both sides in the 2nd half
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

sligoman2

Hello operator could you put me throgh to division four please.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

ross4life

Good win for us v one of the better teams in this division especially without so many championship starters.

Enjoyable 1st half bad start (Antrim goal after 50 seconds) but we soon settled to control the half Cregg pulling the strings Devaney impressing while Darren McDermott showing why he was chosen instead of Donal Shine 4 points up really should have been more however Claffey pulled off a fine save before HT.

2nd half was not a enjoyable watch, woeful stuff altogether from both sides real Div 3 stuff we were very wasteful close to 15 wides hitting the crossbar a few times & missing easy frees. Antrim missed a penalty when it might have brought them back into but any Antrim fan has to bitterly disappointed with that display today.

6 points from 8 back in the hunt for promotion happy enough with that but some tricky games ahead.

Syferus

Huge call by Newton to drop Shine, he was off-form but for a manager to have the balls to drop his star player two months into his term is certainly bold. Shine didn't cut a happy figure on the sideline but knowing the lad and his family's football pedigree he should use that disapointment to drive himself back into form, he'll be needed next weekend.

We controlled this game completely apart from the first score of the game, Antrim's goal. Antrim were toothless and were choked out of the game very fast. Without being too biting, Antrim are not even in the promotion picture now. We played within ourselves the entire match and easily won, we played with much more intensity against Longford and lost, I can't see how Antrim beat Longford next week or Wexford later in the league.

The ref didn't help our cause in the second half, disallowing a goal, giving huge marginal calls to Antrim in almost every instance so I wouldn't be as harsh as to say we were poor - our finishing was poor but our defence and our passing was good.

Darren McDermott is a serious player. You can start pencilling him in for the championship 15 at this point, every single game he's played he's performed in. There's such a comfort in having a keeper of Claffey's quality, two huge saves today and if not for him a David Kelly goal would have probably won the 2010 Connacht final for Sligo. Cathal Dineen made his return to the starting line-up in the pre-match shuffle and continued his fine form against Tipp. Finneran is a real workhorse, so many times you see him in the full-back line clearing ball and he still manages to get forward. Niall Daly looks wonderfully assured for such a young player, he rarely ever makes the wrong decision. Ian Kilbride has introduced a physicality to our defence that was missing, too. Cregg is looking better than ever, some wayward shots but his energy, skill and passing were second to none. Every Roscommon supporter would glad to see Senan Kilbride back in the county colours, though they'll need to be feeding him better ball and supporting him more than they were today.

It all sets up what should be a promotion decider in Wexford next weekend. If the winner of that game doesn't get promoted they'll have no one to blame but themselves.

LaurelEye

Quote from: sligoman2 on March 11, 2012, 04:07:25 PM
Hello operator could you put me throgh to division four please.

If yis had taken half the chances yis got (particularly early on in the second half when yis were all over us) it might well have been different. The score flattered us considerably.

BTW, was the scoreboard operator drunk?
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Shamrock Shore

Riding high to my complete surprise. Must say Glen has the team flying - hopefully it can last and the team doesn't shoot its bolt.

2 home games v Antrim and Wexford and away to a struggling Tipp is a nice place to be at the moment. A chance of promotion but looking at the fare in Div 2 there is a good auld gap between the two divisions.

It could get very interesting in Div 3 over the next three weeks with the Rossies, Longford, Antrim and Wexford all looking for brighter things and Sligo, Tipp and Offaly ponder the shopping in London.

AZOffaly

Big problems in Offaly alright. But now is not the time for madness. We have a few good minor teams over the past few years coming through to U21 level now, and they are being thrown to sink or swim at the moment at senior level. It will be Division 4, which is a pity in one way, but we need to be patient and persist and use division 4 to mature.

Rossfan

Quote from: hardstation on March 11, 2012, 07:13:03 PM
Was listening on Shannonside. Seems we were dung.

Ye sure were and we werent much better in that awful 2nd half.
This game resembled a challenge match at times and was played in almost total silence. Biggest cheer was the penalty save by Geoff. He made one great save in the first half twisting himself backwards to stop a flick from an Antrim forward but like most goalies did a few mad things afterwards - that punch especially.
Devaney and Darren McD could have had a field day in the first half if enough ball was hit to them. Cregg , Ian K ,Percy , Keenan ( how did he manage to hit the bar from 2 feet out !! :o) and my m.o.m Micky Finn were others to impress.
Donie had a bad game against the Lars and was deservedly "rested", don't know if you could call it a big call - proper management decision I would think.
We are now as good as safe from relegation and can start thinking about promotion - at least till throw in v Wexford.
If as expected Longford get full points then this one v the yellabellies is more or less a promotion play off with the losers out of the race in reality.
I'm hopeful but I won't be visiting the bookies though. :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM