O'Donoughue starts ranting again...

Started by neilthemac, March 16, 2007, 05:46:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

Quote from: dublinfella on March 19, 2007, 04:50:51 PM
Rovers arent a 'private commercial entity'. They are a members club with an all volunteer staff off the pitch and a group of part time local players. They are not Man Utd ffs. All profits are put back into the club. How are Rovers less community based? They have been in Tallaght more than 10 years. Its this kind of innacuracy that doesnt help the discussion

And how do we know Rovers won't go down the one of the roads they went down previously, such as Johnny Giles and his European-Cup-in-seven-years? Or that which Shels went down? Or Leeds United? The temptation is obvious, and Rovers have form. All we have is their word, which isn't anywhere near good enough.

Quote from: dublinfella on March 19, 2007, 04:50:51 PMI dont know what Rovers have done. Im not here to defend them. I presume the minister agrees with the FAI about 2 decent grounds in Dublin on either side of the Liffey with Bohs/Shels in one and Rovers/Pats in the other like the contenentials do it.

Eh? Are you seriously telling us the Minister looked at Milan and said "hey, we'll have some of that"? And since when are Pats moving to Tallaght? And since when are Shels and Bohs getting a ground built for them too?!

Quote from: dublinfella on March 19, 2007, 04:50:51 PMBut thats not the point. Even if Rovers get a gold plated stadium with a diamond pitch the dept are entitled to fund other sports, even if the elite are professional. Are you saying no funds for atheltics, boxing, swimming, golf etc because there are professionals at the top?

It's exactly the point. Even at their most generous, the EU never funded 90+% of any project. Let me put it this way. If Ray Burke was the Minister involved, would you be so blasé?

Quote from: dublinfella on March 19, 2007, 04:50:51 PMWhat will the reaction be if TD win and the FAI decide to retaliate and return the favour? Rule 42 could be deemed illegal if public funds are involved.

It might happen. They'd be entitled to their day in court if there was a prima facie case to answer. But they won't find GAA clubs receiving 90%+ funding for anything.

dublinfella

Quote from: deiseach on March 19, 2007, 05:17:21 PM

It might happen. They'd be entitled to their day in court if there was a prima facie case to answer. But they won't find GAA clubs receiving 90%+ funding for anything.

But Deiseach, thats not the case TD are bringing. Agreed, its a moral argument, but of utter irrelevance to the case in the high court at the moment and the consequent criticisms from JO'D.

deiseach

Quote from: dublinfella on March 19, 2007, 05:25:40 PM

But Deiseach, thats not the case TD are bringing. Agreed, its a moral argument, but of utter irrelevance to the case in the high court at the moment and the consequent criticisms from JO'D.

In the legal sense, there's clearly a case to answer. Otherwise the beak would have thrown it out straight away as having no merit whatsover. And (I note with amusement) I see you have accepted for the first time the possibility that Thomas Davis might win having spent God-knows-how-long pouring scorn on the very idea.

dublinfella

Quote from: deiseach on March 19, 2007, 05:43:54 PM
Quote from: dublinfella on March 19, 2007, 05:25:40 PM

In the legal sense, there's clearly a case to answer. Otherwise the beak would have thrown it out straight away as having no merit whatsover. And (I note with amusement) I see you have accepted for the first time the possibility that Thomas Davis might win having spent God-knows-how-long pouring scorn on the very idea.

Again Deiseach, basic stuff. TD are taking leave for a judicial review, the application was adjourned till tuesday because some emergency case came up. The sumbissions have to at least be heard for the judge to theow it out.There is a significant chance it will be thrown out on Tuesday,with the possibility that the judge will retire for a week to decide if the case has merit enough to warrant a judicial review. I'm more confident than ever that this will be given short shrift as the timewaste that it, especially as it appears TD scored a serious own goal in the opeing submissions.

deiseach

Quote from: dublinfella on March 19, 2007, 05:50:50 PM
Again Deiseach, basic stuff. TD are taking leave for a judicial review, the application was adjourned till tuesday because some emergency case came up. The sumbissions have to at least be heard for the judge to theow it out.There is a significant chance it will be thrown out on Tuesday,with the possibility that the judge will retire for a week to decide if the case has merit enough to warrant a judicial review. I'm more confident than ever that this will be given short shrift as the timewaste that it, especially as it appears TD scored a serious own goal in the opeing submissions.

If it's thrown out, it's thrown out. The rule of law is a good thing. But seeing as you are talking in hypotheticals, what will happen to your opinion if Thomas Davis win? Considering your hostility to this whole affair has been down to the legality of it rather than the moral implications, will you conclude that they were right all along?

Bord na Mona man

Christ, I'd love it, love it, if John "The Bullshitter" O'Donoghue lost his seat for his carry on.  :)
Also, I'm glad that the Croke Park funding has gotten a proper public airing.
Too many gobshites spout the "taxpayers built it" line, so Zero O'Donoghue has inadvertedly helped clarify the issue publicly with his bluster!

AZOffaly

You sound like Kevin Keegan BnM man.

o'Donoghue is unlikely to get booted out from South Kerry in fairness. I'd be more than shocked. I'm surprised at his stance here. O'Donoghue has served his club well in South Kerry, but he definitely seems to be taking an anti-GAA stance. It is as if he feels personally insulted by the position TD have taken, and is lashing out.

Certainly doing himself harm I would think, especially in terms of future ministerial appointments.

magickingdom

there is no chance john o donoghue is going to lose his seat over this, hes done a lot for the gaa over the years and he himself will tell you he comes from a gaa background. i read his reasons a while back and (for the life of me i cant remember them!) i remember thinking he had some good points but i do think he has called this wrong. az makes a good point that this may yet effect his future prospects, messy squabbles aint berties style....

mid louth, imo everyone must be welcome on the board otherwise its useless..

dublinfella, would you be happy if the stadium was shared with the gaa? rovers would have their home and the gaa would not be at a disadvantage..... imo until this happens td are dead right to fight as long as they can

snatter

magickingdom,

Quotehes done a lot for the gaa over the years

maybe, but he's doing a hell of a lot of damage at the minute. I hope the Kerry GAA constituency show some solidarity with Dublin GAA and kick him out.

dublinfella

Quote from: deiseach on March 19, 2007, 05:55:30 PM
Quote from: dublinfella on March 19, 2007, 05:50:50 PM

If it's thrown out, it's thrown out. The rule of law is a good thing. But seeing as you are talking in hypotheticals, what will happen to your opinion if Thomas Davis win? Considering your hostility to this whole affair has been down to the legality of it rather than the moral implications, will you conclude that they were right all along?

the reality of them winning is the DoS dont fund the multi sport facility on the grounds its too small for the Dubs and Rovers, SDCC kill the plan and reword it so they can build a soccer stadium on that site. the councellors will cote for a third time on a soccer only facilty. TD  are fully aware of this. thats whats driving me nuts. a total phyricc victory. Its nearly better for Rovers for TD to win, so there is no lengthy appeal process. Rovers/FAI have a legally binding agreement with SDCC regardless of where their ground is built. i personally think thats a disgrace, they balls it up and the swap the land back for a finished stadium, but thats the reality.

either way, the Dubs will never play in Tallaght stadium. which brings me back to the waste of time argument, and the serious question of who is funding this and why arent they bringing the case?

dublinfella

Quote from: magickingdom on March 19, 2007, 07:36:37 PM

mid louth, imo everyone must be welcome on the board otherwise its useless..

thank you, im fed up of being labelled a soccer fan for pointing out the futiliy of this course of action.

Quote from: magickingdom on March 19, 2007, 07:36:37 PM
dublinfella, would you be happy if the stadium was shared with the gaa? rovers would have their home and the gaa would not be at a disadvantage..... imo until this happens td are dead right to fight as long as they can

No. Because if they do, that would be a 2,000 seater ground and that would be the 'southside parnell park'. not good enough in my opinion. too small for them and waaaaaay to small for the dubs. its a cheap and lazy way out from the DCB, who lets face it are the puppetmasters here. and its caused major friction with a friendly government and council. and it just looks petty.

lets cut the bullshit and get going on rathcoole.

however i see the pleasure GAA folk might take in swiping s stadium from the rivals, its short termist and lets those who have failed to provide a southside venue off the hook

Hardy

QuoteRovers arent a 'private commercial entity'. They are a members club with an all volunteer staff off the pitch and a group of part time local players ...

Deiseach has answered this. Just to emphasise the point – they're a members' club this year. Previously they were a family business, which stripped the assets and scarpered. Subsequently they were a tax-defaulting failed business, in more than one incarnation, as I remember. What will they be next year?

QuoteAre you saying no funds for atheltics, boxing, swimming, golf etc because there are professionals at the top?
I've answered this before. I don't see the need to repeat myself.
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=1891.msg57281#msg57281

Now, how about answering my other questions from my earlier post:

QuoteHow do Shamrock Rovers qualify for this largesse?

Why them and not any other soccer club in the country, or any other club of any description – even genuine community-based, amateur, non-commercial ones?

What would say, Newtown Blues in Drogheda be told if they approached Louth County Council and asked them to build a stadium for their exclusive use? Even if they promised to contribute 25%-odd (whether they ever really did or ever really intended to)? Even accounting for the fact that they have been contributing to the local community for over a century? Even allowing for the fact that they are not the third or fourth incarnation of a tax-defaulting, asset-stripping, failed commercial entity that serially liquidates to dodge its debts and tax liabilities?

How did Shamrock Rovers pull this off and how does my club apply for the same treatment?

snatter

Quotethe councellors (sic) will cote for a third time on a soccer only facilty.
what? on a free vote, the coucillors will vote agaisnt the results of their own public consultation which emphatically supported a multi sports stadium, not a soccer only one.
Not only are teh Govt trying to ride roughshod over the GAA, they're doing the saem to the public of Tallaght.

Quotelets cut the bullshit and get going on rathcoole.

Sounds good. Lets sell it, pocket the proceeds, then get a local council to provide us with a site for free, and a govt department to build it as well.
Why didn't us hard working GAA fans think of that one?

rosnarun

surely its against european competition rules to subsidizr a private enterprize this way? also if shamrocks are now a new company ie a members club they are no longer the enity that were promised the ground in the 1st place  anything else wouls would make a mockery of our company law .
As for milltown of course rovers sold it . they sold it to the kilcoyne family who lost money hand over fist with shamrocks and recouped they money by selling it onas was their right  but that dont mean i should now pay for their stupidity/greed through my taxes
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

dublinfella

Quote from: snatter on March 20, 2007, 09:12:06 AM
Quotethe councellors (sic) will cote for a third time on a soccer only facilty.
what? on a free vote, the coucillors will vote agaisnt the results of their own public consultation which emphatically supported a multi sports stadium, not a soccer only one.
Not only are teh Govt trying to ride roughshod over the GAA, they're doing the saem to the public of Tallaght.

FFS snatter, this is the whole damn point. the public consultation emphatically supported a soccer only stadium. the GAA never partook in the public consultation. the 6 clubs lobbied the councellors to have this report changed to multisport after the process had finished. the councellors reverted to the original county development plan which was soccer only when the minister interevened on funding.

by your locgic its actually TD riding roughshod over the people of tallaght.