Author Topic: Antrim Football Thread  (Read 2536094 times)

Spike

• View Profile
Re: Antrim Football Thread
« Reply #18255 on: September 10, 2019, 04:03:50 PM »
i would presume this gives Portglenone extra motivation and I hope they win and slap it up the county. I wouldn't be hosting any more games for a long time the county will suffer if they were unable to use their facilities

How often do the county use their facilities?  Creggan, Ahoghill, Dunloy and Ballycastle seem to get a good turn. portglenone much??

paddyjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #18256 on: September 10, 2019, 04:16:58 PM »
i would presume this gives Portglenone extra motivation and I hope they win and slap it up the county. I wouldn't be hosting any more games for a long time the county will suffer if they were unable to use their facilities

How often do the county use their facilities?  Creggan, Ahoghill, Dunloy and Ballycastle seem to get a good turn. portglenone much??

5/6 so far this season alone.

Shambolic call from the county board.

whatwillbwillb

• View Profile
« Reply #18257 on: September 10, 2019, 05:56:03 PM »
Our club has been thrown into complete disarray half an hour ago with this late development. We havent trained or played on a 3G pitch, different feel to it completely. I've talked to a few of our top club officials and those involved in the team management, and at this stage I would very much doubt if we will be there.

I'm a big supporter of the new administration but if Ciaran Mc Cavanagh wants to lend his support to this (and I know he has)  then the gloves are off because I'm led to believe this decision comes from the top down. This would not happen in any other county full stop, and totally degrades the value  of our biggest domestic competition.

In case I am reading this too close to the action  can I take a quick straw poll from neutral people on here with no affiliation to Casements or St John's. Would YOUR club fulfil this fixture at a days notice, to play on a false surface that you were completely unused to??

I had genuine sympathy for the plight of St John's dual players, and would have supported a compromise if it was sensible, but this latest development stinks from a great height, and wont go down easily.

If this is true then it just confirms once again what I have been saying a full purge of the structure is needed in the county. Most clubs voted these people in so its hard to be sympathetic to be fair, however its a ridiculous situation, do as I say not as I do... 

hardstation

• On a cold and misty morning on the Anagaire bridge
    • View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
« Reply #18258 on: September 10, 2019, 06:26:53 PM »

Every neutral in the county should now be supporting Portglenone.
Eh, they should have been anyway.

This just adds to the calamity and does nothing to solve St. Johnsí plight.
The right thing to do was to put the game back. If it holds the competition up, so be it. Better than the nonsense we have now.

bannside

• View Profile
« Reply #18259 on: September 10, 2019, 07:18:04 PM »
The result of the straw poll suggests that nobody on here would remotely agree with the decision that has been forced on us to turn up and play on an alien surface, with a days notice, on a pitch that apparently St John's occasionally use for training. What boots do players bring, what studs  the free kicking technique will probably be different, all sorts of things like that.

Is there a car park? Has the venue been passed for senior cship status? What about players and officials safety etc?. How much spectator capacity is there? All sorts of rumours that the pitch isnt standard size.....so many questions, as the ground is only open a few months and most of us havent ever been there!

For anyone with any interest in promoting integrity in sport to consider that equitable is truly beyond me...and opens a can of worms that will be difficult to put back in the box.

The sad thing is that it takes more than one person to make a call like this. How many officials were happy to give the green light to this preposterous proposal?? These are important questions that will now be subject to close scrutiny!

Our management and players are meeting right now to discuss our next move. What a shambles when the focus should be football.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 07:24:13 PM by bannside »

Peter john

• View Profile
« Reply #18260 on: September 10, 2019, 07:32:46 PM »
What would Cargin, St Galls and Lamh Dherg do in this suitation BS, they would tell the county board to go and f**k themselves,

Peter john

• View Profile
« Reply #18261 on: September 10, 2019, 07:35:25 PM »
Not in another county would a club dictate to the county board like St johns obviously have here, and they wonder why there is a country/city divide

referee

• View Profile
« Reply #18262 on: September 10, 2019, 07:40:47 PM »
Firstly the chairman of the County Board messes up with no trophy presentation at the div 1 game with creggan/cargin but now they have changed a sen championship game to a 4g surface, holy smoke, talk about a lack of leadership

hardstation

• View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
« Reply #18263 on: September 10, 2019, 07:44:18 PM »
Not in another county would a club dictate to the county board like St johns obviously have here, and they wonder why there is a country/city divide
With respect, St Johns are getting a shafting here. Being asked to play 3 championship games in a week is disgraceful.

paddyjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #18264 on: September 10, 2019, 07:51:31 PM »
The buck stops with the county. End of.

Hoof Hearted

• Oh Yeessss !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18265 on: September 10, 2019, 07:56:41 PM »
Is there any reason why it can't be in ahoghill
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

paddyjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #18266 on: September 10, 2019, 08:09:53 PM »
Is there any reason why it can't be in ahoghill

To appease St Johns. I can see their point of view also, 3 times out of the city in a week, 1 of those to the furtherest away pitch they can go to in the county. Takes a bit of fuel at 1.25/1.30 a litre. As another poster said, PG1s biggest game of the year and itís moved 24hours before due to county board.

referee

• View Profile
« Reply #18267 on: September 10, 2019, 08:15:43 PM »
Gerrys cub will have got them all laundered diesel fucksake, the hurling game will probably be moved to o donnells or GNM

hardstation

• View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
« Reply #18268 on: September 10, 2019, 08:19:41 PM »
Not much appeasement if you ask me. I think far too much is being asked of them to play so many big games in such a short space of time. While both are joke decisions, St. Johnís are being treated worse than PG1.

bannside

• View Profile
« Reply #18269 on: September 10, 2019, 08:24:07 PM »
I actually do see this from St Johns point of view too Hardstation. We are all Gaels and there are many very reasonable St Johns folk I hold high esteem who deserve their case to be heard too... As an idea off the top of my head....what about Ahoghill on FRIDAY  night.

Our pitch could hold the St Johns v Dall hurling semi under lights NEXT WED night.

And Moneyglass v Ahoghill div one relegation playoff match originally down for tomorrow night at our pitch could go ahead as planned.

Would this not be a better compromise???