Seanie Johnston Switch and outside managers

Started by samwin08, January 18, 2012, 12:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

LeoMc - indeed, I was asked for my take on it and I gave it. Anglocelt has a problem with my expressing of reservations on Johnston in the past. The crux of it being that while he has all the skills a forward could need it takes more than that to be mentioned in the same breath as greats such as gooch, canavan, Joyce etc. His constant statements to the media about what Cavan fans should be thinking and doing is another bugbear of mine. Anglocelt called this baggage, claims I have grudge against him etc while at the same time admitting he is away from home a long time and knows sweet fa about what's going on. I don't know Johnston, never met him and never played against him. I have no grudge. However, I've seen enough heartless gutless pathetic displays from Cavan over the last number of years to know that we need to start with a foundation of tough, hungry young men full of fight and ready to spill their blood for our proud county. Such a set-up can not co-exist with prima donnas, full of their own self importance and ready to walk away at the first sign of a fight for their place on the team. Anglo celt knows full well that Johnstons behaviour since being dropped completely vindicates Andrews decision. To be honest, I never thought he would be this bad but there you are. We are well rid. We'll soon see how he handles not being the center of the universe in kildare?

stephenite

Quote from: heffo on January 29, 2012, 07:53:26 PM
Quote from: stephenite on January 29, 2012, 07:49:43 PM
Quote from: heffo on January 29, 2012, 11:19:12 AM
Ps, Mup = Jowly blogger Ewan McKenna

And what's your full name Heffo?

It's a fairly low act when you feel the need to resort to outing people's identities because you're losing the argument.

I wasn't losing any argument.

Classy

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on January 29, 2012, 08:29:40 PM
Quote from: Hill16 Blues on January 29, 2012, 08:10:02 PM
If it was an argument with our esteemed journo Mr McKenna i think it was made abundantly clear what is going on re Johnston and his new pal Geezer & the debt ridden Kildare county board - a debt principally caused it has to be said by Geezer & his merry band of expensive mercenaries!

Not the case at all. Kildare's debt is mainly as a result of the Hawkfield development. The senior footballers do a lot of their own fundraising. They each raised €3k last year and fitted out their own purpose built gym at the K Club themselves. A large proportion of the money to finance the senior team comes from Club Kildare, not the CB. No doubt team expenses have to be cut down (as they do in most counties) but Kildare's debt is at a manageable level for the time being. Whilst not excusing it, it pales into comparison to several other counties. I think Kildare have received more publicity because they are actively trying to clear their debt, however successful that will be.

As for Johnston, very few in Kildare want him. Personally think it is a big error of judgement from our senior management.

DH, why educate these guys, they have no sense of perspective and base their opinions on the now with the usual hyperbolic reactions. 

Funny enough the original Dinny Breen won 4 Dublin senior county medals with the Garda club in 1929, 1933, 1934 and 1935. Even though he was a Westmeath footballer at the time he was invited to play for Dublin. An invitation he declined but alas there was no media sensationalism and sports did not exist in the popular culture sense so this request from Dublin stirred no controversy and with no social media to try and manipulate our sense of tribal emotion no one actually cared. Dinny was flattered to be asked but he was a Westmeath man. Every county is littered with similar stories, some played for their new adoptive county some didn't and the world moved on and nobody cared.

If SJ ends up playing for Kildare so be it, he's not doing anything hundreds haven't done before. Do I agree with it no but will I get emotive and start calling people mercenaries and a disgrace? No because to me it's not that big a deal and people really do lose any sense of perspective.

What is interesting would be if we are all sit down in a pub and discuss this, it will all be reasoned and intelligent discussion, why are people so unreasoned with the written word and I include myself in that as I have often lapsed into keyboard warrior mode as well...
#newbridgeornowhere

Billys Boots

Quote... a Westmeath footballer ...

I could never quite put my finger on what it was, but thanks for that!  :P
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Billys Boots on January 30, 2012, 12:12:57 PM
Quote... a Westmeath footballer ...

I could never quite put my finger on what it was, but thanks for that!  :P

Why do you think AZ loves me so much..
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

Leave me out of this.

By the way heffo, that's not like you.

anglocelt39

Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 29, 2012, 11:25:00 PM
LeoMc - indeed, I was asked for my take on it and I gave it. Anglocelt has a problem with my expressing of reservations on Johnston in the past. The crux of it being that while he has all the skills a forward could need it takes more than that to be mentioned in the same breath as greats such as gooch, canavan, Joyce etc. His constant statements to the media about what Cavan fans should be thinking and doing is another bugbear of mine. Anglocelt called this baggage, claims I have grudge against him etc while at the same time admitting he is away from home a long time and knows sweet fa about what's going on. I don't know Johnston, never met him and never played against him. I have no grudge. However, I've seen enough heartless gutless pathetic displays from Cavan over the last number of years to know that we need to start with a foundation of tough, hungry young men full of fight and ready to spill their blood for our proud county. Such a set-up can not co-exist with prima donnas, full of their own self importance and ready to walk away at the first sign of a fight for their place on the team. Anglo celt knows full well that Johnstons behaviour since being dropped completely vindicates Andrews decision. To be honest, I never thought he would be this bad but there you are. We are well rid. We'll soon see how he handles not being the center of the universe in kildare?

Ah indeed Myles, nice little midnight ramble there on your part which I have just spotted. I do indeed have a problem with your attitude towards Johnston, as an amateur sportsman and a private citizen as much as anything else. What you omitted to point out for the benefit of people on here is that a fair few other people on the Cavan Thread are becoming a bit tired of your spiteful, cowardly  and personalised campaign against Sean Johnston as witnessed by the general response to Booj's excellent post last week. At least you've had the common sense to wind your neck in on the topic on the Cavan page, long may it continue. My own view is that there is no way back on to the panel for him as long as Val stays in charge and I think we're in agreement there. Where  I do have a serious problem is the tone of some of your comments which you not utter from the Sidelines at Terry Coyle park without getting your arse handed back to you. As for your comment that I know FA about what's going on up there that's an important difference between us mate, I'm aware of my limitations.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Hill16 Blues

Dinny - that all sounds fair and reasoned with the obvious exception that you are talking about a completely different time and generations ago . I can't say for sure but would guess lot of players at that time played for Dublin because travelling home for games, training etc was very difficult.

The other elephant you are deliberately ignoring is SJ as you call him acting in dishonest & deceitful way to play for county he does not live in and will not play club football in bar the odd games for show.
Are you going to state that's ok and you are quite happy to go along with it? I hope not.

It is most definitely a disgrace what is going on here!

Go home ref

Quote from: Hill16 Blues on January 30, 2012, 07:55:07 PM
Dinny - that all sounds fair and reasoned with the obvious exception that you are talking about a completely different time and generations ago . I can't say for sure but would guess lot of players at that time played for Dublin because travelling home for games, training etc was very difficult.

The other elephant you are deliberately ignoring is SJ as you call him acting in dishonest & deceitful way to play for county he does not live in and will not play club football in bar the odd games for show.
Are you going to state that's ok and you are quite happy to go along with it? I hope not.

Bull the only reason you care about this is because of who is doing it if a team from Connacht or Munster was doing this you wouldn't care less

Onlooker

Quote from: Go home ref on January 30, 2012, 08:13:33 PM

Bull the only reason you care about this is because of who is doing it if a team from Connacht or Munster was doing this you wouldn't care less
A team from Munster!!.  Ah come on now, whatever about Seanie Johnston living in Straffan and working in Cavan, I doubt if he could convince anyone that he was living in Cork or Tralee, while working in Cavan.  It is the obvious doubts as to where he is living that makes playing for Kildare very dodgy indeed and why so many people are so strongly opposed to the transfer going ahead.

Dinny Breen

It's not a disgrace far from it, it's another development in the culture of GAA. Every sport evolves, just because you or I do not agree with the process doesn't make it a disgrace, again a hyperbolic reaction to something that is only challenging the already unstable ethos of the GAA, same way as payment/incentive to players in the Dublin Club scene is doing the same.

By the way poaching a player to play for your county is the same whether it be the 30s 40s 90s etc etc. He was a Westmeath player and Dublin asked him to play for them, it's not as if had to be in Rochfortbridge for 6am sessions on a Wednesday and Friday. Did anyone care at the time, no and why should they same way the SJ drama doesn't particular interest me at the moment.

#newbridgeornowhere

Jinxy

There'll be a gypsy curse on the flourbags if this goes through.
No Leinster title for at least 50 years.
I have a gypsy on speed-dial for this sort of thing.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Hill16 Blues

Dinny - you're either being completely disingenuous or naieve pr both. This isn't the GAA evolving. This is a breach of current rules in using false address and goes against the spirit of what the GAA stands for today in terms of club & county. t's dishonest and in my view is a disgrace regardless of the county involved. The fact also that Johnston himself has acted in such a way towards his own club & county is also a disgrace but that's a matter for Johnston himself.

On other matter you reference for what it's worth I like majority of Dublin club members believe what's going on in some Dublin clubs in the chasing and otherwise of county players from other counties is wrong and to the detriment of Dublin GAA. DCB should act to stop this fully and properly.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Jinxy on January 30, 2012, 09:34:58 PM
There'll be a gypsy curse on the flourbags if this goes through.
No Leinster title for at least 50 years.
I have a gypsy on speed-dial for this sort of thing.

You'll have no bother finding a gypsy in meath anyway ;)

haranguerer

Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 30, 2012, 09:23:38 PM

It's not a disgrace far from it, it's another development in the culture of GAA. Every sport evolves, just because you or I do not agree with the process doesn't make it a disgrace, again a hyperbolic reaction to something that is only challenging the already unstable ethos of the GAA, same way as payment/incentive to players in the Dublin Club scene is doing the same.

By the way poaching a player to play for your county is the same whether it be the 30s 40s 90s etc etc. He was a Westmeath player and Dublin asked him to play for them, it's not as if had to be in Rochfortbridge for 6am sessions on a Wednesday and Friday. Did anyone care at the time, no and why should they same way the SJ drama doesn't particular interest me at the moment.

Spot on Dinny - most of those against it havent even any consistency in their own arguments. Its an amateur sport, these lads are amateur players who do this in their spare time. The holier than thou attitude from dublin in particular is a joke!