Seanie Johnston Switch and outside managers

Started by samwin08, January 18, 2012, 12:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anglocelt39

Sorry folks but as a long time watcher of postings on the Cavan section of this site I was rendered momentarily speechless at the inclusion of Myles, Cavan Perspective and Seanie Johnston in the same sentence. Please refer postings on Cavan thread this week for clarification on this. I can exclusively reveal that Ryanair are posting a bankruptcy order against Myles tomorrow on it's website for carrying excessive SJ baggage.

Finally, there is a rumor that Myles is appearing on next Tuesday's Newsnight Programme with Jeremy Paxman to offer the "Cavan Perspective" on Seanie Johnston. Interestingly, there will also be an interview with Nick Clegg of the BNP who will be offering a "UK perspective" on race relations. ;)

Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

mylestheslasher

Amusing but all questions dodged. No harm, he'll be gone soon and we can start talking about proper Cavan men again.

Jinxy

Quote from: anglocelt39 on January 29, 2012, 12:04:20 AM
Sorry folks but as a long time watcher of postings on the Cavan section of this site I was rendered momentarily speechless at the inclusion of Myles, Cavan Perspective and Seanie Johnston in the same sentence. Please refer postings on Cavan thread this week for clarification on this. I can exclusively reveal that Ryanair are posting a bankruptcy order against Myles tomorrow on it's website for carrying excessive SJ baggage.

Finally, there is a rumor that Myles is appearing on next Tuesday's Newsnight Programme with Jeremy Paxman to offer the "Cavan Perspective" on Seanie Johnston. Interestingly, there will also be an interview with Nick Clegg of the BNP who will be offering a "UK perspective" on race relations. ;)

You mean Nick Griffin.
Nick Clegg is the leader of the Liberal Democrats.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Give and Go

Any player who would go golfing the morning of an Ulster Championship game or come into a dressing room and tell a couple of new young lads to get out of his seat can be done without and won't add much to any other team.

heffo

Quote from: mup on January 28, 2012, 06:26:42 PM
Quote from: Hill16 Blues on January 28, 2012, 06:01:53 PM
Have Kildare supporters here no pride in themselves and their county? Johnston is a mercenary pure and simple. He picked Kildare presumably because they are competitive and because you have manager who'll obviously do anything at this point to win silverware. This is a sham and a disgrace if it goes through!

God knows in Dublin we suffered between 1996 and 2011 but we didn't stoop to poach players from other counties even when as with the Gallaghers they actually lived and played their football in Dublin. Winning with your own players is a thousand times better than winning with a chancer like Johnston in your team!

Also can't believe Cavan supporters are so relaxed about this. Cavan Gaels should run him out of the place if he gets away with this. You can be sure his chosen club in Kildare will see little or nothing of him.

Declan Darcy, Ryan O'Dwyer, Ciaran Barr. Do you want me to go on? Does that mean Dublin supporters have no pride?

In hindsight I bet you think your post is a bit silly now.

Declan Darcy was born, raised and lived in Dublin at all times. He declared for Leitrim as his parents were from there.

Both Ryan O'Dwyer and Ciaran Barr were living and working in Dublin before they went near the Hurlers.

Johnson was poached, the exact same offer was made to Shane Supple - 'move' to Kildare, we'll sort you out and you won't even have to move club.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Hill16 Blues on January 28, 2012, 06:42:54 PM
Mup - you might have a re-read of your own post and decide if you feel a bit silly! Darcy was born and bred in Dublin. Played for Leitrim as he had family background there and it was allowed by GAA to help weaker counties get stronger. He came back to Dublin few years later.

Dublin hurlers were in effect operating as weaker county in hurling till very recently and hence players that lived and played in Dublin were accepted onto county team. Johnston's setup with Kildare is a Sham pure and simple.

Stand 100% by my statement that it's thousand times better with your own countrymen. That will apply to my county hurling team if we ever manage to win Leinster or all Ireland hurling title. End of!

You won't find many Kildare people who will disagree with you on that point.

However, you do know that Dublin won a shed load of All-Irelands prior to the seventies when their team was full of outsiders? There were many Kildaremen that won AIs with the Dubs. Are all those titles devalued if it's a "thousand times better with your own countymen"?
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

heffo

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on January 29, 2012, 11:02:34 AM
Mup - you might have a re-read of your own post and decide if you feel a bit silly! Darcy was born and bred in Dublin. Played for Leitrim as he had family background there and it was allowed by GAA to help weaker counties get stronger. He came back to Dublin few years later.

Dublin hurlers were in effect operating as weaker county in hurling till very recently and hence players that lived and played in Dublin were accepted onto county team. Johnston's setup with Kildare is a Sham pure and simple.

Stand 100% by my statement that it's thousand times better with your own countrymen. That will apply to my county hurling team if we ever manage to win Leinster or all Ireland hurling title. End of!

However, you do know that Dublin won a shed load of All-Irelands prior to the seventies when their team was full of outsiders? There were many Kildaremen that won AIs with the Dubs. Are all those titles devalued if it's a "thousand times better with your own countymen"?

Those players weren't sent unsolicited telegrams on their farms asking them to come play for Dublin for a couple of tons of turf and the prospect of a bit of glory by a full time manager.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: heffo on January 29, 2012, 11:04:29 AM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on January 29, 2012, 11:02:34 AM

Those players weren't sent unsolicited telegrams on their farms asking them to come play for Dublin for a couple of tons of turf and the prospect of a bit of glory by a full time manager.

Seánie must not have heard of the turf cutting ban around Staplestown!!

I heard Larry Stanley was promised free life entry to Copper Face Jacks when he joined the Dubs back in 1923.

stephenite

Quote from: heffo on January 29, 2012, 11:19:12 AM
Ps, Mup = Jowly blogger Ewan McKenna

And what's your full name Heffo?

It's a fairly low act when you feel the need to resort to outing people's identities because you're losing the argument.

heffo

Quote from: stephenite on January 29, 2012, 07:49:43 PM
Quote from: heffo on January 29, 2012, 11:19:12 AM
Ps, Mup = Jowly blogger Ewan McKenna

And what's your full name Heffo?

It's a fairly low act when you feel the need to resort to outing people's identities because you're losing the argument.

I wasn't losing any argument.

Hill16 Blues

If it was an argument with our esteemed journo Mr McKenna i think it was made abundantly clear what is going on re Johnston and his new pal Geezer & the debt ridden Kildare county board - a debt principally caused it has to be said by Geezer & his merry band of expensive mercenaries!

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Hill16 Blues on January 29, 2012, 08:10:02 PM
If it was an argument with our esteemed journo Mr McKenna i think it was made abundantly clear what is going on re Johnston and his new pal Geezer & the debt ridden Kildare county board - a debt principally caused it has to be said by Geezer & his merry band of expensive mercenaries!

Not the case at all. Kildare's debt is mainly as a result of the Hawkfield development. The senior footballers do a lot of their own fundraising. They each raised €3k last year and fitted out their own purpose built gym at the K Club themselves. A large proportion of the money to finance the senior team comes from Club Kildare, not the CB. No doubt team expenses have to be cut down (as they do in most counties) but Kildare's debt is at a manageable level for the time being. Whilst not excusing it, it pales into comparison to several other counties. I think Kildare have received more publicity because they are actively trying to clear their debt, however successful that will be.

As for Johnston, very few in Kildare want him. Personally think it is a big error of judgement from our senior management.

mylestheslasher

Word is that Cavan Co board are going to object. Cavan gaels are supposedly divided on the issue. There is a way to go in this yet. One thing for sure, there is no way back to Cavan for Johnston after this.

LeoMc

Quote from: mup on January 28, 2012, 07:28:46 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 28, 2012, 07:20:38 PM
Quote from: mup on January 28, 2012, 06:28:31 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 28, 2012, 06:07:20 PM
Cavan fans are not relaxed and any I've talked to are happy to see the back of him and his rotten attitude. He won't do anything worth talking about with kildare either I'd wager.

Maybe you might know myles. Whats the story? Did he throw his toys out of the pram or was there something else in it?

From what I hear it went as follows...

At the end of last season the entire co panel was disbanded, ie each player was told they were not automatically on next years panel.
When the pre-season started Andrews called in a number of players but omitted 6/7 who were there last season, including Johnston and the captain from the year before, Martin Cahill. (it should be noted that Johnston was dropped by his own club and stripped of the captaincy last summer too)
Andrews called these players out of courtesy to tell them they were not going to be involved (there is debate exactly what was said here, Johnston gave his side but Andrews has not said anything yet. Johnston claims he was told he would not be a Cavan player again. I'd say that is bull.)
Johnston starts looking for a transfer while staying with his club, which is against the rules, his request fails at croke park.
An appeal is said to have legal costs of up to 10k. My understanding is he went to Cavan Gaels to see if they would back him (financially) for this appeal, they said no. He then puts in for a club transfer.

Is that throwing out the toys, probably. But I think for Johnston being a county player is more important than trying to get back on the Cavan county panel or even winning Ulster with his own club. As I've said before, ye are very welcome to him. In Cavan we have good young players coming through and I expect in 10 years time we will have real heros playing for Cavan like we once did before and Johnstons legacy will be one of a quitter and a turn coat.

Thank yo Myles. Interesting to hear the story form a Cavan perspective.

Myles, could you point out to me where you claimed to be giving the Cavan perspective. AC39 seems to have seen something I didn't! >:( ::)