Rory MacIlroy - Member of the order of the British Empire.

Started by Trout, December 31, 2011, 12:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

As mentioned before, not too much said about Martin O'Neill and McCoy getting their medals.  If any of us were in the position McIlroy was then I would nearly bet that we would accept the award too.  Would it be more beneficial for his career and image if he accepted the title and offended a few of those on a GAA forum who want to free Ireland, or refused the award and faced the whole media onslaught both here and across the water that would inevitably follow?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

thebigfella

Quote from: nrico2006 on January 04, 2012, 10:38:20 AM
As mentioned before, not too much said about Martin O'Neill and McCoy getting their medals.  If any of us were in the position McIlroy was then I would nearly bet that we would accept the award too.  Would it be more beneficial for his career and image if he accepted the title and offended a few of those on a GAA forum who want to free Ireland, or refused the award and faced the whole media onslaught both here and across the water that would inevitably follow?

I think this thread shows how many remedial's there are currently on this board.

AQMP

Quote from: thebigfella on January 04, 2012, 10:47:19 AM

I think this thread shows how many remedial's there are currently on this board.

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!!!!!!!!!!

ONeill

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 04, 2012, 12:51:57 AM
Quote from: ONeill on January 04, 2012, 12:32:23 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declining_a_British_honour

Nigella Lawson - even more of a Goddess.
Famous anti-Establishment figure Nigella Lawson!  :D

Or to give her full title The Honourable Nigella Lawson, daughter of Margaret Thatcher's Chancellor of the Exchequer.

She refuses to use that moniker. Unfortunately, I just found out she's a Chelsea fan. That's the last time I'll be scoffing her muffins.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

muppet

Quote from: Applesisapples on January 04, 2012, 09:39:02 AM
Quote from: Take Your Points on January 01, 2012, 02:58:14 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on January 01, 2012, 01:15:03 PM
I agree. MacIlroy didn't sell this soul in this occassion, that happened some time ago.

In the world that Rory inhabits, this award is no sell out it is considered to be a highlight of his career. 

In our "shared future" it is a test for others to accept that this s a reality for Rory and no attempt to insult others.  The acceptance of diversity is the first test for us all and acceptance of the equality of existence of diverse views, ideas and beliefs is the second test.  Pass both and we are on our way to a shared future.
Problem is 90% at least don't want a shared future. McIlroy like Mr Armstrong has employed an Uncle Tom approach to get on in his chosen career, why I don't know, but the Business World is full of such people although most of them are of a generation where it was the only way to get on. To my mind this shared future only seems to mean accepting a British Demention. Therefore when something as outrageous as an Irish Christmas Greeting is placed on Belfast City Hall we see really what a shared future is all about. Until there really is parity of aspiration/nationality/esteem etc people like McIlroy will always be seen as sellouts. The thing is he is a talent and he could have genuinely made a difference to mutual acceptance by being a little less obvious.

I barely knew what I was about at 32, at 22 I was completely deluded and hadn't a clue. Why would we expect a 22 year old we never met know exactly who he was, when we wouldn't expect it of ourselves?
MWWSI 2017

Nally Stand

If any of us were in the position McIlroy was then I would nearly bet that we would accept the award too.

You reckon?

I couldn't give two fecks what religion anybody who accepts such an award is. As far as I'm concerned anybody who would accept an award which is rooted to such an historically morally bankrupt and imperialist British Empire deserves a toe up the ass. I would equate the acceptance of such an award with having a serious lack of self-respect.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Bensars

Quote from: Nally Stand on January 04, 2012, 12:54:38 PM
If any of us were in the position McIlroy was then I would nearly bet that we would accept the award too.

You reckon?

I couldn't give two fecks what religion anybody who accepts such an award is. As far as I'm concerned anybody who would accept an award which is rooted to such an historically morally bankrupt and imperialist British Empire deserves a toe up the ass. I would equate the acceptance of such an award with having a serious lack of self-respect.

Really. No different to all those in the armchairs, but are willing to accept any grants, benefits and money they can. If they are so morally against it, dont accept it.  Problem is not too many do

thebigfella

You reckon?

You really do get upset over the most irrelevant of things. You must be one sickening c*** to listen to when you have had a few drinks, your bad enough without them.

Orior

Quote from: Bensars on January 04, 2012, 12:59:17 PM

You reckon?

Really. No different to all those in the armchairs, but are willing to accept any grants, benefits and money they can. If they are so morally against it, dont accept it.  Problem is not too many do

Eh? Why shouldn't we accept grants, benefits etc? Afterall, they take our taxes, national insurance etc.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Nally Stand

You reckon?

So we should quietly pay taxes and refuse to accept what we are due in return?
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Nally Stand

Quote from: thebigfella on January 04, 2012, 12:59:47 PM

You reckon?

You really do get upset over the most irrelevant of things. You must be one sickening c*** to listen to when you have had a few drinks, your bad enough without them.

1. Upset? Hardly. Just giving my opinion.
2. If I was upset, I would have responded to the thread before it reached page 6.
3. There have been other posters who have been getting very worked up right from the start of the thread. You must be confusing me with some of them. Off you go and tell them they "get upset over the most irrelevant of things" and must be "sickening c***s" instead of me.

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Applesisapples on January 04, 2012, 09:39:02 AM
Quote from: Take Your Points on January 01, 2012, 02:58:14 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on January 01, 2012, 01:15:03 PM
I agree. MacIlroy didn't sell this soul in this occassion, that happened some time ago.

In the world that Rory inhabits, this award is no sell out it is considered to be a highlight of his career. 

In our "shared future" it is a test for others to accept that this s a reality for Rory and no attempt to insult others.  The acceptance of diversity is the first test for us all and acceptance of the equality of existence of diverse views, ideas and beliefs is the second test.  Pass both and we are on our way to a shared future.
Problem is 90% at least don't want a shared future. McIlroy like Mr Armstrong has employed an Uncle Tom approach to get on in his chosen career, why I don't know, but the Business World is full of such people although most of them are of a generation where it was the only way to get on. To my mind this shared future only seems to mean accepting a British Demention. Therefore when something as outrageous as an Irish Christmas Greeting is placed on Belfast City Hall we see really what a shared future is all about. Until there really is parity of aspiration/nationality/esteem etc people like McIlroy will always be seen as sellouts. The thing is he is a talent and he could have genuinely made a difference to mutual acceptance by being a little less obvious.
What a complete load of bollix. What you mean is that neither man is a lackey of the republican movement and has chosen to make their own decisions rather than swallow the deluded guff pumped out by the boys who are going to end partition and set Ireland free. (One of these days, that is. Just as soon as business up at Stormont allows  :D).

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Nally Stand on January 04, 2012, 01:07:12 PM

You reckon?

There are plenty of armchair republicans who wouldn't know what a days work is, so you wouldn't want to be relying on their taxes.

thebigfella

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 04, 2012, 02:13:23 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on January 04, 2012, 01:07:12 PM

You reckon?

There are plenty of armchair republicans who wouldn't know what a days work is, so you wouldn't want to be relying on their taxes.

You wouldn't want to rely on the lazy hoors to free Ireland either.

All of a Sludden

Quote from: Nally Stand on January 03, 2012, 06:22:34 PM
Quote from: All of a Sludden on January 03, 2012, 04:55:12 PM
Nordies complaining that a fellow nordie got an award from their Queen.  ::)

Haben Sie schon einmal gewonnen einem dieser?

Bundesverdienstkreuz

He even speaks the Queens native tongue.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.