Started by Maguire01, November 30, 2011, 08:35:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Nally Stand on December 01, 2011, 09:19:08 PM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on December 01, 2011, 09:02:43 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on December 01, 2011, 08:28:01 PM
From Jude Collins:

The Mayor of Belfast and a shameful affair

It's good to see for once that the public of Belfast appear to be united against a shameful affair. I'm referring, of course, to the case of the British Army cadet who wasn't given  a Duke of Edinburgh award by the Lord Mayor Niall Ó Donnghaile. There really is a point where people have to say enough is enough, whether that's by words or actions – or in this case refusal to act.

Because what we have here is a 15-year-old who has been encouraged along the path of organized violence.  This child has barely reached the age of puberty, yet she has been enlisted in an organization where people are taught to kill other people – with guns, with grenades, with tanks, with rockets, with bombs. Last year cash-strapped Britain spent over £38 billion on training and equipping people to kill or threaten to kill other people. To that you can add another £34 billion for the Trident nuclear replacement, a death-programme designed to kill civilians by the million. Meanwhile there are nearly three million people out of work in Britain today, while those who are in work are having their pensions gutted and their pay slashed to fill the pockets of bankers and bond-holders.

It'll be three more years before this cadet child is allowed to vote. It'll be three more years before she can get married without his parents' consent. Yet right now, without a murmur from anyone, she is being inducted into the world of weapons, violence,  mutilation and death. Thank God someone at last has had the courage to refuse to lend his office to this corruption of the young. Maith thú, Lord Mayor – well done!
If Niall was a pacifist - let's say a Quaker, or a Mennonite - and he'd taken his stance on the issue of organised violence, I'd have applauded his actions. But Niall isn't against violence. His party supported the so called armed struggle of the IRA, which claimed the lives of many children, and I've never heard Niall or Sinn Fein condemn the army of the Irish Republic or any other army for that matter. Niall and his party are opposed to the British Army, not organised violence per se. Jude misses the point. Deliberately so, I suspect.

Are you a pacifist?
No, not in the same way as the groups I mentioned, who would believe that violence is wrong in every circumstance. Respect to people who genuinely hold that view, but I believe there are some situations in which violence or force is justified.

Puckoon

MW

From Jude Collins:

It's good to see for once that the public of Belfast appear to be united against a shameful affair. I'm referring, of course, to the case of the British Army cadet who wasn't given  a Duke of Edinburgh award by the Lord Mayor Niall Ó Donnghaile. There really is a point where people have to say enough is enough, whether that's by words or actions – or in this case refusal to act.

Because what we have here is a 15-year-old who has been encouraged along the path of organized violence.  This child has barely reached the age of puberty, yet she has been enlisted in an organization where people are taught to kill other people – with guns, with grenades, with tanks, with rockets, with bombs. Last year cash-strapped Britain spent over £38 billion on training and equipping people to kill or threaten to kill other people. To that you can add another £34 billion for the Trident nuclear replacement, a death-programme designed to kill civilians by the million. Meanwhile there are nearly three million people out of work in Britain today, while those who are in work are having their pensions gutted and their pay slashed to fill the pockets of bankers and bond-holders.

It'll be three more years before this cadet child is allowed to vote. It'll be three more years before she can get married without his parents' consent. Yet right now, without a murmur from anyone, she is being inducted into the world of weapons, violence,  mutilation and death. Thank God someone at last has had the courage to refuse to lend his office to this corruption of the young. Maith thú, Lord Mayor – well done!

Wait...Collins thinks that cadets in the ACF are taught to kill people guns, grenades, tanks, rockets and bombs?

Christ on a bike.

Orior

Quote from: nifan on December 01, 2011, 06:01:35 PM
Quote from: Orior on December 01, 2011, 04:58:15 PM
Are are also offended because the deputy Mayor wont talk to the Mayor?

Personally rather than being offended Im embarassed that these are the sort of people that gain any sort of prominence in NI, and that there are so many who will be mortally offended by one of the t**ts but think the other is some sort of principled saint.

But we (thats the royal we, hang on...., or the republican we depending on your political background) voted them in. So we're the t**ts. Drat, and double drat!

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

deiseach

I see that with his "if you were offended, I apologise" weasel apology, Niall O Donnghaile shares a place in the pantheon with Jeremy Clarkson. Maith an fear

LeoMc

My 2pence / cents worth

1. He made a bit of a b@lls, he apologised (kinda). it was accepted. End of story.
2. Ruth Patterson had some brass neck to lecture him about "respect for all the people of Belfast" when she could not shake hands with Belfasts First citizen.
3. Less of this leave EG alone cr@p. He is well fit to argue his own corner!

MW

Quote from: deiseach on December 01, 2011, 11:08:41 PM
I see that with his "if you were offended, I apologise" weasel apology, Niall O Donnghaile shares a place in the pantheon with Jeremy Clarkson. Maith an fear

They were just talking about that on Question Time - Dimbleby said it was a bit like Ken Clarke's "I'm sorry if anyone took offence" (non-)apology over his rape comments. Clarke's on the panel :D

MW

Quote from: LeoMc on December 01, 2011, 11:16:58 PM
My 2pence / cents worth

1. He made a bit of a b@lls, he apologised (kinda). it was accepted. End of story.
2. Ruth Patterson had some brass neck to lecture him about "respect for all the people of Belfast" when she could not shake hands with Belfasts First citizen.

Quite a pairing. Lordy.

ONeill

Come on Northern Ireland, come on.
There's a whole lot of work to be done.
We can make it in the end
With a little help from our friends.
So come on Northern Ireland, come on.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Nally Stand

Quote from: MW on December 01, 2011, 11:01:29 PM
From Jude Collins:

Wait...Collins thinks that cadets in the ACF are taught to kill people guns, grenades, tanks, rockets and bombs?

Christ on a bike.

Hmmm wherever could he have gotten the idea that British Army Cadets have any sort of training in shooting....

http://armycadets.com/become-a-cadet/what-youll-do/shooting/
http://armycadets.com/become-a-cadet/what-youll-do/skill-at-arms1/
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

haranguerer

Quote from: MW on December 01, 2011, 11:01:29 PM
From Jude Collins:

Christ on a bike.

ffs - read. Leaving aside whether they actually are or not, where does Jude Collins say they are??

haranguerer

So he should specifically apologise to all those who weren't offended? What would the point in that be??

nifan

Quote from: haranguerer on December 02, 2011, 08:56:48 AM
ffs - read. Leaving aside whether they actually are or not, where does Jude Collins say they are??

This child has barely reached the age of puberty, yet she has been enlisted in an organization where people are taught to kill other people – with guns, with grenades, with tanks, with rockets, with bombs.

AQMP

O Donnaghaile had to think on his feet and got it wrong, Clarkson had to think on his feet and got it right :P