Why is the 'Cadet' thread locked?

Started by Maguire01, November 30, 2011, 08:35:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haranguerer

Quote from: deiseach on December 01, 2011, 09:29:54 AM
EG is not a bigot. That's not an opinion, it's a fact. If you think he is, then clearly you have a Wonderland view of language

Omfg  ::)

Hardy

Quote from: Forever Green on December 01, 2011, 12:54:29 AMa lot of what EG writes about is anti-republican

Rubbish. But he's trenchantly anti-pseudo-republican. That is, like 95% or more of us, he abhors those scum you're happy support no matter what age their victims are.

Even if he were "anti-republican" does the republican Ireland for which your heroes murder GAA members embrace the concept of censoring and silencing those who aspire to be equal enough to hold an opinion different to yours?

Quoteanti Irish drivel

E.G. is as Irish as you. Deal with it.

QuoteI just fail to understand why he comes on to a GAA forum and constantly throws digs in at … Republicans where the majority of the GAA`s support comes from.

Again, I’m certain you meant pseudo-republicans. And you have the neck to complain about others wrongly drawing an equivalence between the Orange Order and the GAA. It’s remarks like that that tar all GAA supporters with a very dirty brush. Get this straight – nobody but a moronic, deluded few GAA supporters has any time for the sort of “Republicans” you seem to represent.

Nally Stand

A thread about a thread. This place has gone to the dogs!
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Forever Green

Fair enough lads. I have put my opinion forward in the knowing that this is the reaction I would get from it. I should have done so without the personal abuse and I apoligise to EG for that

orangeman

Lord Mayor Niall O Donnghaile apologises for 'offence caused'

Belfast's lord mayor has told the BBC that if he has caused offence to anyone then he apologises for it.

Sinn Fein's Niall O Donnghaile has been criticised by unionists on the council for refusing to present a Duke of Edinburgh award to a teenage army cadet.

He also said he would be prepared to meet the teenage girl.

But unionists have called for a public apology or for Mr O Donnghaile to step down.

Unionist councillors said they were "appalled" by the lord mayor's actions and they will present their demand for a public apology to the full council on Thursday evening.

Mr O Donnghaile told the BBC: "If I have caused any offence to anyone, I apologise."

He has also come under fire from a senior government minister.

Commons Leader Sir George Young said: "I very much hope we can move forward in a more consensual way than that gesture indicated."

Also speaking in the House of Commons, DUP MP Sammy Wilson called the lord mayor's refusal to present the award a "breathtaking display of bigotry".

However, Sinn Fein's Martin O Muilleor accused unionists of attempting to derail a progressive lord mayor.

"We won't be taking any lectures on inclusion from the DUP. These are the people who, for 100 years, would not have a Catholic lord mayor, never mind a Sinn Fein lord mayor," he said.

Gavin Robinson said the lord mayor's behaviour was "shameful" "Today, the DUP deputy lord mayor will not talk to the Sinn Fein lord mayor, never mind shake his hand. So whatever lessons we need to learn about outreach, and we all need to stretch ourselves in these matters, we won't be taking any lectures from the DUP."

'Petty bigotry'

The message to be delivered to council officials has been signed by members of the DUP, Ulster Unionists, PUP and independent unionist Frank McCoubrey.

It reads: "This council is appalled that the lord mayor politicised the Duke of Edinburgh Awards presentation in City Hall on 28 November by refusing to present an award to a young member of the Armed Cadet Forces; affirms that the civic position of lord mayor is about representing and respecting everyone within this city and calls on the lord mayor to publicly apologise for his actions and the gross offence caused.

"Failure to do so immediately would render his position untenable and he should resign."

Continue reading the main story
"
Start Quote
In order to avoid any unnecessary sensitivities to either party, it was arranged for the outgoing chairman of the organisation to present some of the certificates alongside me"
End Quote
Niall O Donnghaile
In a joint statement from the DUP and UUP, Aldermen Robin Newton and David Brown said that the lord mayor had brought his office into "disrepute by his actions".

They said that "such petty bigotry has no place in modern society".

On Tuesday, Mr O Donnghaile said he would be happy to meet the cadet and her family to explain his decision. He said it was "nothing personal".

"At the last minute I was informed that one of the awards was to be presented to a representative of the Army Cadet Force," Mr O Donnghaile added.

"In order to avoid any unnecessary sensitivities to either party, it was arranged for the outgoing chairman of the organisation to present some of the certificates alongside me.

"I take my responsibilities as being a mayor for all very seriously."

Nally Stand

Quote from: orangeman on December 01, 2011, 02:20:10 PM
"Today, the DUP deputy lord mayor will not talk to the Sinn Fein lord mayor, never mind shake his hand..."

No change there then:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-13565893

Taken from a BBC report back in MAY!! :
DUP backs Ruth Patterson over Sinn Féin mayor snub

The DUP has supported deputy lord mayor Ruth Patterson after she snubbed the newly elected Sinn Fein lord mayor at a Belfast council meeting on Thursday.

Sinn Fein's Niall O Donnghaile, 25, offered his congratulations to Mrs Patterson but she did not acknowledge him.

"I wanted to wish her congratulations, it is unfortunate she refused to accept them," Mr O Donnghaile said."

(I'm sure someone started a thread about this at the time though, right?)
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

seafoid

I presumed the cadet thread had been drinking buckfast. 

deiseach

A worse-than-useless 'apology'.

Mr O Donnghaile told the BBC: "If I have caused any offence to anyone, I apologise."

"But if someone was not offended then I'm not sorry!"

Bingo

Quote from: seafoid on December 01, 2011, 02:28:23 PM
I presumed the cadet thread had been drinking buckfast.

No it was about Cadet red lemonade and the harm it does to your teeth. Lethal stuff.

AQMP

Quote from: deiseach on December 01, 2011, 02:29:55 PM

The modern day political apology. 

Other forms include "Mistakes were made but no one individual was to blame" and Gordon Brown's famous "I take full responsibility for this and that's why I've sacked the person responsible" as he sacked someone else.

Orior

You're all a bunch of tossers.

Can one of you tell me exactly why you are offended by what the Mayor did in the first place and describe in detail the pain that it has inflicted on you.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

deiseach

Quote from: Orior on December 01, 2011, 04:33:03 PM
You're all a bunch of t**sers.

Can one of you tell me exactly why you are offended by what the Mayor did in the first place and describe in detail the pain that it has inflicted on you.

Riiiight. So you can only comment on something if it inflicts pain on you personally. I must remember to never comment on the destination of the Sam Maguire, 'cos it's not as if it has anything to do with me

Orior

Quote from: deiseach on December 01, 2011, 04:50:28 PM
Quote from: Orior on December 01, 2011, 04:33:03 PM
You're all a bunch of t**sers.

Riiiight. So you can only comment on something if it inflicts pain on you personally. I must remember to never comment on the destination of the Sam Maguire, 'cos it's not as if it has anything to do with me

Are are also offended because the deputy Mayor wont talk to the Mayor?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Applesisapples

Two comments:
I don't agree with a lot if not all of EG's posts. But this is a discussion board and as such he is entitled to enter into the discussion. On the numerous occasions where he has been talking cr*p and I can't be bothered arguing i just ignore him. but i enjoy the discussions. It wouldn't be a discussion board if we all agreed.
Secondly The Mayor in my opinion if he was presenting the DE awards should just have gone on ahead and if challenged after wards just claimed ignorance. However the actual embarrassment to the girl was caused when the UUP and Mike Nesbitt turned it into a political football. The Hypocrisy of the unionist position is clear from other posts here.

haranguerer

Quote from: deiseach on December 01, 2011, 02:29:55 PM

Again, what???