Gary Speed RIP

Started by SLIGONIAN, November 27, 2011, 12:37:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boojangles

RIP. A great Toffee and one of the greats of the game.
Shocked.

andoireabu

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 27, 2011, 01:12:16 PM
Depression will claim anyone from any background, class divide. Terrible for anyone to go through that. for it to drive you to kill yourself, and that being the only way out must be a very lonely place to be in.
n
Men still don't talk about it and this is what finally pushes them over the edge.
[b/]
its not always easy to talk about things that bother you. I'm a very private person and there are things i won't tell anyone no matter how much they bother me. Im lucky they arent tehat serious bt for some people they could be. On the outside he may have seemed happy but nobody knows someones personal life really. RIP
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

Declan

Really shocking news alright. Poor family left behind wondering why.

the Deel Rover

Couldn't believe it when i heard the news terribly sad. Like miltrow said depression is the silent killer. I know  at least 5 people who have committed suicide around the ballina area the past year year far far too common at this stage. 
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Lecale2

Billys Boots

A great favourite at Leeds, came up through the ranks from underage.  Best header of the ball I've ever seen.  Will be very mich missed in the game.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Sanchez

A legend of a player. The length of his career in the Premiership marks him out as one of the great professional soccer players and holds the record for most capped outfield player for Wales. Hard to believe what has happened.

HiMucker

Re depression-  My sister in law worked as a suicide prevention officer, and she said that the reason the vast majority of people looking to take their own life was not not one big thing but many other small problems building up to this feeling of worthlessness.  As someone has already said it is very much a disease of the mind, and lot more should be done about it.
Although it would appear not to be the case here as Garry Speed is a 42 year old man, the vast majority of suicides in young people is drug related.  Either drugs leading to a state of depression or victims are high on drugs when they commit suicide.
Very sad news, but this is a reality for many families on a daily basis.

Maiden1

I was talking to someone who deals with this type of thing this morning..  I was asking what sort of affect she thinks this would have on people in general and she said that if he is built up into a sort of hero through the media with what he has done given added mystique etc. then this is very dangerous.  If this is dealt with in the right way that brings the issue out into the open more and people start to talk more freely about having depression etc. and not feel stigmatised then this could have a positive effect on people.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

stephenite

Bingo

Terrible news yesterday and was surprisingly annoyed over this yesterday, switched off sky sports and just watched the game. Maybe it was after watching him on FF on Saturday. Always liked him a player, even when he was at Everton, and he came across well on the TV.

Maiden1, yeah have seen that before in these cases. A local GAA club lost a player this wya a few years back and then another shortly after it. One of the prevention officers was involved at the time with the others and the family and one of the first things they tried to enforce was as lowkey funeral as possible - that if others seen the person buried in a blaze of glory or whorship as such that it can make the decision easier for others. Not a very nice or pleasant subject by any stretch of the imagination.

magpie seanie

Terrible, terrible news. So sad. I always admired him as a player (far and away my favourite player on that Leeds team) and he seemed a good bloke too. Was delighted to see him raising Wales fortunes too. It's horrific.

AZOffaly

Don't know what to say really. What can you say? Very, very sad. Always came across as a decent fella, and I was shocked when I saw it yesterday morning. RIP.

Radda bout yeee

Horrible stuff! Wouldn't have supported anyone loyally over the years but I always liked Gary Speed as a player - RIP.

Clown

A tragic story and will be greatly missed

i watched the video on youtube of him on football focus on saturday, and came across this photo online which was a photo with a fan taken on Saturday afternoon. Maybe its just me and this is hindsight talking but i think theres something different in how he looked normally and how he's looking in both the photo and on football focus, something different in his eyes, hard to explain

Poor fella, RIP

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2066812/Gary-Speed-dead-Last-picture-Wales-manager-hours-committed-suicide.html