Gary Speed RIP

Started by SLIGONIAN, November 27, 2011, 12:37:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Depression will claim anyone from any background, class divide. Terrible for anyone to go through that. for it to drive you to kill yourself, and that being the only way out must be a very lonely place to be in.

Men still don't talk about it and this is what finally pushes them over the edge.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bridgegael

very sad,  one of my favourite players back then, esp when he was at leeds.  one of the great headers of a football.
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Seamroga in exile

I had the privilege of watching him play for his beloved toffees a couple of times at Goodison. I met him once, he was a genuinely nice lad. Terribly sad news. God rest him. 
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

SLIGONIAN

One of my favourite memories of Gary Speed, was when David O Leary swallowed his tongue playing for Ireland against Wales and with the game continuing on Speed stopped playing ran over to O Leary and help open the airway and called for medics, he made over 300 appearances for Leeds and came up through the ranks aswell, and won the old Division 1 title in 1992 which is now the premiership, he also played in 2 FA cup finals with Newcastle and played for Everton, sheff united, 85 caps for wales and was captain for 44 caps...
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

laoislad

Can't believe that.
He had Wales playing some great football recently too.
RIP
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

ExiledGael

Shocking news. Very weird I happened to read this on the Guardian football site yesterday. Well worth a read.
www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2011/nov/25/the-secret-footballer?INTCMP=SRCH

GalwayBayBoy

Very sad news. Robbie Savage said he was talking to him only yesterday on the phone and said he was in great form. Laughing and joking. You never know what's going on in someone's head underneath it all.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: ExiledGael on November 27, 2011, 01:41:59 PM
Shocking news. Very weird I happened to read this on the Guardian football site yesterday. Well worth a read.
www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2011/nov/25/the-secret-footballer?INTCMP=SRCH
Thats an interesting article and got me thinking about an incident i had with GAA footballers father over a 1yr ago, he told me that his son was suicidal at what i was saying. It affected me deeply and i stopped posting on HS altogether and on here in terms of player performance with Sligo. I went back into HS and Gaaboard and copied and pasted everything i said about this player just to see what bothered him. I was shocked to myself at the tamenest of my comments, if i remember correctly the worst thing i said was "this player isnt up to county standard but i blame walsh for picking him, not the player who trys his best, but just not good enough" I did a background check on this player and he well known not to be able to take criticism and is very sensitive and there are family issues. I have said alot worse about other players but i never really knew you could affect them so much, i wouldnt be proud of hurting players feelings but at least i stopped. As you say none of know what goes on in each of our heads, but i have people round me in my life who i can share anything with and i hope everyone has the same. I think mental health shouldnt be shunned under the carpet and we need to tackle it head on.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ziggy90

Absolute tragedy, he did seem a genuinely nice man. Condolances to his wife and family.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Forever Green

Shocking news. Was an absolute legend of a player and fast becoming a very good manager

RIP and God Bless

sammymaguire

What could drive a man like Gary Speed to do something as terrible as take his own life??

Dumb struck at that news.
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

muppet

Got a fair shock when I saw that news.

I would have regarded him particularly highly without knowing much about him really.

Very tough for his family. RIP.
MWWSI 2017

ross4life

Shocked with the news, fine player not many could play in the top flight as long as he did! The silent killer depression has claimed another good person! awful disease.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

paco

Was just going to post that link ExiledGael. It seems that it is becoming more normal to talk about it in the public sphere nowadays. There are a fwe things mentioned in that article, like the German referee who tried to take his life last weekend. Does anyone follow Stan Collymore on Twitter? He's been posting updates of his condition, for anyone interested. Anyway, RIP Gary Speed.