Railway cup returns!

Started by ross4life, November 16, 2011, 01:50:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is it a good idea to bring back the Railway cup?

Yes
58 (66.7%)
No
20 (23%)
Undecided
5 (5.7%)
I like to drink in a railway tavern
4 (4.6%)

Total Members Voted: 87

ross4life

Sounds like a good game the fans that went are getting there moneys worth
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

mountainboii

2500 at it according to RTE.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Ulster are the Railway Cup Champions for 2012- Peter Harte had a wonderful second half.  Great win for Ulster.  Final Score 3-11 Munster 1-15 (from teamtalkmag.com)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

David McKeown

Very high quality match today, very glad I went.  Decent crowd and atmosphere I thought so surprised it was only 2500. Munster probably the better team overall and lorded midfield but Ulster looked very dangerous every time they attacked.  Donaghy, Harte and Mugsy were all excellent.  Coulter had a quiet enough game but put in two of the finest passes youll ever see for the first two goals.  Cork goal was shambolic defending from Ulter after a very poor decision from the ref left 5 munster men against Lacey and the Ulster keeper with no other Ulster players in the half

Ref very poor and horribly inconsistent and favoured Munster throughout.  Winning captains speech at the end pratcially begged Croke Park to keep the competition running
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

rrhf

Breathtaking second half.  There'll be few better games played this year.  Munster were unlucky and had some great performances particularly in midfield and the big full forward.  Canty fairly hit big Mc Keever once and you could have heard the bang in the stand.  Some great goals and points.  Harte and MC Gees goals probably the scores of the game.  The crowd that was there got their value.  This competition deserves promotion - its a real privilege to see so many good footballers out on the pitch.  Thats figure of 2500 was too low for the crowd that was there - there were a lot of under 16s mustnt have been counted

BennyCake

Great game. Some great scores. 2500? I reckon there was at least double that figure. Think they're trying to play down the attendance figure so they have another reason to scrap the competition. You could see what winning meant to the Ulster players and supporters.

Throw ball

Have to agree with what was said already. Glad I went as it was as good a game as you will see for a while. The best team lost and the referee gave some funny decisions. Hughes scored three and gave a great speech. Munster corner forward Tubridy and Scanlon had very good games. Harte an Donaghy had very good second halfs. Worth the money.

Orchardman

COM ON ULSTER! champs again, must be well top of the roll of honour now lads.

Long live the railway cup!

ardchieftain

Entertaining game alright.
The 2,500 figure musn't count the younsters who all got free tickets through their schools.

Donaghy was very good but the highlights for me were the passes for the goals.

Jinxy

Sounds like a good game.
If it is going to be kept on they need to change the name.
Look what changing the name of the O'Byrne Shield to 'The Bihatimber' did for that competition.
Counties are going all out to win it.
We regularly lose in the O'Byrne Cup just so we can play in The Bihatimber.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Captain Obvious

BennyCake

One thing about today. A six page program that cost £2. Absolute disgrace.

extra time

i was glad i went as it ended up a great game. it was exhibition stuff for about 50 mins then you  could sense both teams really wanted to win. the pace was cranked up, but its goals that win games and Ulsters 3rd came at the right time, Munster wese prob the better all round team but as i.ve said goals win games. btw much more than 2500 there.

emainmacha

Photos from game

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16144312@N07/sets/72157629461524595/detail/

everyone I spoke to at the game remarked on the good crowd, very enjoyable stuff, with some great footballers on display