Railway cup returns!

Started by ross4life, November 16, 2011, 01:50:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is it a good idea to bring back the Railway cup?

Yes
58 (66.7%)
No
20 (23%)
Undecided
5 (5.7%)
I like to drink in a railway tavern
4 (4.6%)

Total Members Voted: 87

Jinxy

Fair play to Martin Donnelly but there's better things he could be spending his money on.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Ard-Rí

RTÉ told us how great the games were, while giving them 25 seconds apiece.
Ar son Éireann Gaelaí

BennyCake

Final is set for Sunday in Morgan Athletic Grounds.

Radda bout yeee

Anyone got a list of Ulster Team subs and scorers?

T O Hare

On the way home from a wedding in Westport I stopped in Sligo and took in the game between Ulster and Connaght. It was a enjoyable game with Ulster putting in a great attacking performance and it was a privilege to see some of the best forwards in the game  clicking so effectively with little preparation.
The crowd was poor but i have a few tips for the GAA if promoting in the future.
1. 10euro into the game was too much(the programme was 2euro for four pages!!!!!)
2. Sligo was a poor venue. It should be given to locals clubs to promote, put it in a a club like Carrickmore, Crossmaglen or any club in south Down or south Derry that could host such a game and I guarantee that the crowds would improve
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Radda bout yeee on February 20, 2012, 02:23:58 PM
Anyone got a list of Ulster Team subs and scorers?

From the hoganstand.com:

Ulster - B McVeigh; B Donaghy, N McGee, K Lacey; C McKeever (0-1), D Hughes, J Loughrey (0-1); D Gordon (0-2), R Kavanagh (0-1); P Harte (1-2), M Poland (1-0), C Gilligan (0-3); M Penrose (1-4), B Coulter, O Mulligan (0-2). Subs: V Corey for Loughrey, M Donnelly for Coulter, O Lennon for Kavanagh, C McCarron for Lacey.

Connacht - G Claffey; S McDermott, S Purcell, C Harrison; G Bradshaw, J Davey, W McKeon (0-1); M Finneran, B Egan; K McLaughlin, D Shine (0-2), A Dillon; C Mortimer (0-9), A Marren, N Joyce (0-1). Subs: K Higgins for Joyce, T Flynn for Egan, M Conroy for Marren, P Conroy for Finneran, M Breheny for Shine.

Ref - J Curley (Meath).

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

bennydorano

I was trying to figure out  how they'd spent the million euro myself ::)

Jinxy

We could get the 4 provinces to play international rules against each other.

Zulu

Whatever money spent on this is going to be money wasted because you will never get big crowds into see two teams that aren't properly prepared play a game that nobody is really bothered about winning. If you said you wanted to keep it as players like it then fine, I'd still argue for its abolition on other grounds, but looking for investment in its promotion is nonsense as it won't work. Now if the GAA could afford to do what it needs to do and still spend money on fireworks, posters, TV ads and performing elephants for the inter provincials then knock yourself out but it can't. My club has had its funding cut, as have many others, and I don't see how you can justify spending money on bloody bands to try and entice people into watch a football or hurling. The cost of the band alone would go a long way to developing the GAA in my city but you're probably right paying money to shite bands at half time of an exhibition game is a better way of spending GAA funds.

Jinxy

It was big in the old days because people only had limited exposure to top-level football.
Talented players from weaker counties had a platform to show what they could do.
It's not needed, it doesn't fit in with the rest of the season and the public have no interest in it so it should just be allowed to die.

Zulu

Absolutely not, if it can be done for minimal cost, can pay for itself and doesn't impact on 'proper' GAA competitions then it would be fine. I watched the damn thing whenever it was on TV and I'm all for more games but I object to this idea that we can somehow revive it and should be pulling out all the stops to do so. If any of ye get the Gaelic performance emails you'll see a perfect example of the lunacy this can be taken to.

The funding was cut for part time coaches here in Britain. It is vital we have paid coaches to go into the primary schools to introduce the game to kids who we can then get out to the club but the decision to cut funding places the burden on us as a club to come up with the extra funding and this places the whole viability of the coaching in doubt.

rrhf

Anybody Change their mind from seeing the quality of effort and skill levels on show on tg4 tonight. Looked superb.  I think they should add 5 quid to each all Ireland final ticket give the purchasers a free ticket and give the money to goal.

BennyHarp

I must be on some e-mailing list for Gaelicperformance.com and I recieved this email the other day. Im not sure who the author is and my apologises if it has been posted before;

This is a quick idea I sent to Paraic Duffy in 2008. It might still work?

Let me know what  you think/

All- Star GAA Festival Week/2 weeks

Take the top 120 players in Football, or top 120 players in hurling, top 16 managers and trainers. Each county must have at least 2 Representatives. and would be based on players performances in the championship.
Gather them together for the "All Star  Festival Week "
Divide them into 8 teams( No Provincial Affiliation) to play in 11 a side competition
Add in Cultural events and Carnival atmosphere.
To be played in Late November/Early December, Not to interfere with Club Competitions.

Sample Schedule Outline

Sunday Night- Dublin

7.00pm – 9.00pm – Live on Television –

"The Draft" – Players attend an opening ceremony where they are divided into teams through an interactive draft (Where the TV viewers vote the teams).

Monday-Tuesday-Wednesday

Teams prepare for the matches to be held on the following weekend
Team Training
1 Hour Update on TV every evening, behind the scenes interviews, footage, etc.

Thursday – Galway Pearse Stadium

9.00am – 12.00pm Training Camps at various venues, Schools, Clubs , etc

4.00 – 6.00 – GAA Exhibition/History/ Culture at venue
6.00 pm – Opening Ceremony- Fireworks display / Cheer Leaders / Youth Games, etc
7.00- 10 .00 - The matches begin( Carnival Atmosphere under lights)
ALL LIVE ON TV

Friday  – Healy Park Omagh

12.00pm TV programme with interviews etc

3.00 – 6.00 – GAA Exhibition/History/ Culture
6.00 pm – Opening Ceremony- Fireworks display / Cheer Leaders / Youth Games, etc
ALL LIVE ON TV

Saturday  – Limerick or Cork

ALL LIVE ON TV

Sunday – Croke Park, Dublin

5.00 pm – Opening Ceremony- Fireworks display / Cheer Leaders / Youth Games, etc

6.00- 9.00 - THE FINALS( Carnival Atmosphere under lights)
ALL LIVE ON TV

10.00 Closing Banquet, live on TV.
That was never a square ball!!

Zulu

I got that too and that was what I was referring to when I spoke of the lunacy of some of the suggestions.

Ard-Rí

Quote from: Jinxy on February 20, 2012, 08:49:52 PM
We could get the 4 provinces to play international rules against each other.

Funny you should say that, Seán Boylan was suggesting using the interpros as a testing ground for different rules the other week on Seó Spórt. For myself, I feel that playing Tipperary vs. Kilkenny under different names is of little benefit to anyone. As a suggestion, perhaps the starting 15 should include at least one player from every county in the province...
Ar son Éireann Gaelaí