Tyrone club football

Started by Jinxy, November 13, 2011, 05:35:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whishtup

The more I look at these photos, the more I realise that 90% of the stuff posted in this thread is of the brown variety.  Where are the scarpering crowds, blood-soaked t-shirts, etc that the headlines imply?  Apart from the couple of clowns involved, the rest of the crowd seem pretty cool and the large gang of men around the bottom of the stand aren't actually doing anything, probably just havin a gawk, tryin to break it up or slabberin at the worst.  There are several people in the crowd, including an elderly woman,  havin a laugh at the whole thing. 

The first brawl I've seen where nearly everybody has their hands in their hands in their pockets!

While the incident's shouldn't happen, in the grand scheme of things, they're hardly Landsdowne Road ,1995 are they?
  I suppose it gives a few lang-heads some anti-Tyrone ammo, the inevitable by-product of success.  To suggest that Tyrone has any more reprobates than any other county in ireland is ridiculous-(cue the whatabouterying...)

goal and a point

Quote from: Nally Stand on November 14, 2011, 09:06:04 PM
Quote from: screenmachine on November 14, 2011, 07:45:36 PM
Out of interest, the man that struck the player on the pitch with the umbrella - was this during the melee which began on the pitch?  Was there any bother in the stand before this or did it stem from the umbrella strike? If so, you have to say that the umbrella wielding man has a lot to answer.  Granted it seemed to get awfully out of hand afterwards but you can't hit someone over the wire with an umbrella and not expect a reaction. 

He probably picked the wrong match to start swinging umbrella's as well to be fair...

Carmen player was taking a sideline ball when the Dromore fan hit him with the umbrella.

Both clubs have to take responsibility for their supporters actions. Should put forward the main culprits - they are no use to either club if they are going to act like that.
Hopefully we never see anything like this again. Have to say that if there had been no handlings on the pitch nothing would have happened in the stand.

One point Bally was there a side line ball? as far as i recall 3 carrickmore players had one dromore player up against the wire and thats when supporter got involved.

The video would be some viewing!

screenmachine

Out of interest, the man that struck the player on the pitch with the umbrella - was this during the melee which began on the pitch?  Was there any bother in the stand before this or did it stem from the umbrella strike? If so, you have to say that the umbrella wielding man has a lot to answer.  Granted it seemed to get awfully out of hand afterwards but you can't hit someone over the wire with an umbrella and not expect a reaction. 

He probably picked the wrong match to start swinging umbrella's as well to be fair...

Carmen player was taking a sideline ball when the Dromore fan hit him with the umbrella.

Surely the first man that should be identified is this clampit and throw the book at him.  Was the player involved in anything previous or did he just stray into the umbrella-man's personal swiping space?   I can't imagine any sane thinking person would randomly hit anyone with an umbrella while he attempted to take a sideline kick.  I can't help but laugh when trying to picture the scene.  Completely ridiculous...
I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.

Archie Mitchell

Could easily have happened at Casement Park yesterday as there was a bit of a scuffle in the 2nd half in the stand.

tyssam5

Quote from: Jinxy on November 14, 2011, 04:12:36 PM
Quote from: tyssam5 on November 14, 2011, 03:45:48 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on November 14, 2011, 02:49:32 PM
It's bizarre that Tyrone posters are choosing to have a go at me rather than discuss the actual topic.
All wumming aside lads.
Look at that picture for christs sake.

People always like to shoot the messenger, especially when he lacks credibility. Anyone who's been on here for a while knows your agenda. Topic is a serious one, so you should have left it to another person to raise it.

What's my agenda then?

Well let me put it like this, if there was a headline on rte.ie about a row in a Meath club game I would not click on it, never mind start salivating with anticipation while I fired up my computer to open a thread on this site.

maco

My version of events from the stand.

Dromore win a free on their own 45. Fouled player is on ground when a Carrickmore player comes in late with what looked like a knee to the back or head. There was a bit of pushing and shoving - nothing serious. Referee has a word with the linesman and Gaby McCallan is taken aside by the ref. (have to defend Peter Ward here - he was clearly trying to get Dromore players away). Meanwhile, Plunkett McCallan is slowly jogging from his goalline up to the area where the incident is taking place. When he got there, more pushing/shoving/verbals, then suddenly it all kicked off. I don't know who threw the first punch, but there were a lot of players involved. A couple of Dromore players were badly isolated, with 2 or 3 carrickmore men attacking them. One such case resulted in all involved being pushed against the wire. This is when the umbrella incident happened. I saw the carrickmore player getting hit with the umbrella, but didn't see what happened among the supporters immediately after that. There followed some disgraceful scenes, with I would estimate about 15-20 supporters from either club involved in fighting. There were many more from both clubs acting as peacemakers and trying to pull people out of the row.

My opinion is that the referee and his linesman had the situation under control until Plunkett Mc Callan arrived on the scene. Things got out of hand after that. I'm not saying he started phase 2 of the row, but his presence there obviously had a lot to do with it.

oakleafgael

Thats one way of describing it!

oakleafgael

Quote from: ONeill on November 14, 2011, 08:04:05 PM
Why was the Carrickmore player at the wire? Was there slabbering going on between the two?

He was beating the lining out of one of the Dromore players when the wally with the brolly intervened. If he hadnt then there wouldnt have been any bother in the crowd, although there may have been a few wire climbers.

Norf Tyrone

A couple of points to make;

1. Why didn't the ref abandon the game? Fighting among ~20 people in the crowd, and a brawl on the pitch, surely that merited an abandonment.

2. There's absoloutely no excuse for what happened. I was in Derry at work last night, and the salivating from the 'non-Gaa' people, and hand wringing was sickening. It's hard to defend it.

3. I've no idea how much this happens in other counties, but someone said it happens in Tyrone and a lesser degree Antrim. That's BS. I regularly read of dust ups on the Derry thread, wasn't there a ref clipped by a Derry County player last season? I also know that a ref was assualted last year in Donegal and a life ban handedout.

4. I'll get off the fence and say that the Tyrone CB must acted swiftly and harshly in this instance, and any other that follows. The two clubs involved must look at themselves in the mirror and take what they get on the chin.

5. The Tyrone CB must learn to stop defending their own Inter County players at every opportunity for any discretion on the Inter County scene. There was the infamous game v Dublin in 06 that resulted in a serious row at Healy Park. If I recall rightly the TCB defended their players, and appealed their suspensions. What message does this send out? If you do the crime etc etc.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

tyssam5

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on November 14, 2011, 10:34:00 PM

1. Why didn't the ref abandon the game? Fighting among ~20 people in the crowd, and a brawl on the pitch, surely that merited an abandonment.

2. There's absoloutely no excuse for what happened. I was in Derry at work last night, and the salivating from the 'non-Gaa' people, and hand wringing was sickening. It's hard to defend it.

3. I've no idea how much this happens in other counties, but someone said it happens in Tyrone and a lesser degree Antrim. That's BS. I regularly read of dust ups on the Derry thread, wasn't there a ref clipped by a Derry County player last season? I also know that a ref was assualted last year in Donegal and a life ban handedout.

4. I'll get off the fence and say that the Tyrone CB must acted swiftly and harshly in this instance, and any other that follows. The two clubs involved must look at themselves in the mirror and take what they get on the chin.

5. The Tyrone CB must learn to stop defending their own Inter County players at every opportunity for any discretion on the Inter County scene. There was the infamous game v Dublin in 06 that resulted in a serious row at Healy Park. If I recall rightly the TCB defended their players, and appealed their suspensions. What message does this send out? If you do the crime etc etc.

That's a good start!

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: tyssam5 on November 14, 2011, 10:42:28 PM

That's a good start!

Ha Ha  ;D. Bit of a Freudian slip there!
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

imtommygunn

Happens all round the place. There've been pretty bad incidents in the likes of Laois and Wicklow and places like that over the years too.

Antrim has had it's incidents but there's as bad and worse out there.

Crowd trouble and refs are both steps too far though and have to be dealt with.

The salivating from some non GAA, and some GAA, people would sicken you.

Tyrone does seem to get more publicity. I don't know that it has any more bother than a number of other places.

fitzroyalty

Quote from: Moortown Spuds on November 14, 2011, 08:17:30 PM
Quote from: fitzroyalty on November 14, 2011, 07:53:45 PM

While I realise the seriousness of the situation I can't help but laugh.

I can picture it now, your quintessential Tyrone man, no doubt slabbered the whole match, sporting an awful moustache, talks like he's got his mouth full, thinking he's heman hitting a player with an umbrella. Can't even imagine he hit him that hard either. Him too thick and cocky to think he might get hit back or a row would kick off. There are good people in Tyrone but by God there are some amount of breeds.

And I can imagine the good old Lurgan people at a club championship game with the blue bags in tow slabbering "offside" or "handball" whilst wearing their best Celtic tops and freeing Ireland from their bar stool all whilst accepting their disability allowance in the queen's sterling.

There are some breeds in Tyrone alright, but give me any of our breeds over your breeds anyday.

The Tyrone league games are like nothing that any Armagh club person has encountered in their own county. Maybe its the domination of the county by Cross but there are certain games you know are going to end up in a pitched battle because the players put everything on the line. I dint blame either of the club's for what goes on between the white lines but this craic of what happens in the stand is disgraceful. And as I said the man that waved the umbrella is at fault but Crarrickmore dont need an invitation to start swinging either on the field or off it.
;D
LOL do tell what you Moortown folk accept for your DLA in lieu of sterling, turnips!?!
Pretty accurate description there of Lurgan GAA folk though; and you're right we would never encounter any that shite that's masqueraded as football in your county! Most negative football I've ever seen, it's any wonder some teams resort to bating the face off each other!

Nally Stand

Quote from: oakleafgael on November 14, 2011, 10:16:23 PM

Thats one way of describing it!

I should clarify...only reporting as I've been told. I've no reason to assume any other reports are wrong and wouldn't defend the indefensible. My only point to the thread is that it does take two to tango and that the problem isn't unique to Tyrone. I know some of the injuries are bad. One fan in particular from Carmen has had an operation for a particularly nasty injury.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Throw ball

As a matter of interest does anyone know what penalties were handed out after the schools soccer match ended in violence at Distillery on St. Pats Day. This sh**e happens at other sports too/