Connacht Senior club championship 2011

Started by ross4life, September 26, 2011, 06:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coosanglen

In reply to the post about Corofin having no problem playing Tuam Stars in Tuam Stadium, Tuam Stadium is not the home ground of Tuam Stars, they have their own separate grounds and in fact have nothing to do with the Stadium, due to their success over the years Corofin would be more used to playing in the stadium than the stars would.

PadraicHenryPearse

As a brigids man i am delighted we got to have this match in Kiltoom and won. It made it so much better.....

We had done our homework and knew what the Ref would be like, Corofin obviously had not. He was fussy but he was fussy for both sides. 4/5 of the total free count were for overcarrying and picking the ball off the ground. In saying that most brigids people would say we got probably got the calls today but we worked very hard for them. Corofin were mouthing at the ref, constantly having the ball brought forward and were playing for time in the first few minutes of the 2nd throwing the ball over the fence.

The disallowed goal would have been disallowed by probably 9/10 refs.... the rule is unenforceable and everyone has being saying it for years. Probably a free out anyway...

Karol got a soft free and Cathal scored from it, P.Kelly also got a soft one but he went down on the ball and a Corofin player put his foot in McHugh was booked for it in the 1st half (although he used much more force)

Some great tackling and harrassing in the last 10 to keep Corofin out. Ref was informed before the match if it was close or anything happened to make his way to the Centre (clubhouse) side.... he went the wrong way and maybe should have been closer when he blew the whistle to the exit.

muppet

Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on November 22, 2011, 11:15:49 PM
As a brigids man i am delighted we got to have this match in Kiltoom and won. It made it so much better.....

We had done our homework and knew what the Ref would be like, Corofin obviously had not. He was fussy but he was fussy for both sides. 4/5 of the total free count were for overcarrying and picking the ball off the ground. In saying that most brigids people would say we got probably got the calls today but we worked very hard for them. Corofin were mouthing at the ref, constantly having the ball brought forward and were playing for time in the first few minutes of the 2nd throwing the ball over the fence.

The disallowed goal would have been disallowed by probably 9/10 refs.... the rule is unenforceable and everyone has being saying it for years. Probably a free out anyway...

Karol got a soft free and Cathal scored from it, P.Kelly also got a soft one but he went down on the ball and a Corofin player put his foot in McHugh was booked for it in the 1st half (although he used much more force)

Some great tackling and harrassing in the last 10 to keep Corofin out. Ref was informed before the match if it was close or anything happened to make his way to the Centre (clubhouse) side.... he went the wrong way and maybe should have been closer when he blew the whistle to the exit.

The 'centre side'! Surely Shepherds can give better directions than that?
MWWSI 2017

galwayman

QuoteP.Kelly also got a soft one but he went down on the ball and a Corofin player put his foot in[/quote

Would have to disagree with you on that one. Watch the video again. There were two Corofin men around him and at no stage did either of them put their foot or hand anywhere near the Brigids player. Not a free in a million years.

As I said in a previous post -> best of luck to Brigids in the AI series. The referees performance was no fault of theirs.

Syferus

Ah c'mon now, spuds. I think the vast majority of Roscommon/Brigids supporters have said the ref was very fussy and it'd have been better to have a more open game. The ref got the big call right and the rest was him going to the letter of the law with most things, be it steps or pushes, Brigids may have gotten the majority of the breaks but that can also be explained by the tight Corofin defending and the rather loose Brigids defending in the first half, meaning there was less latitude for Corofin players to win frees.

It wasn't the travestry of refereeing some would have you believe because in the end what decided the game was Brigids pulling away when it really mattered and Corofin not finding it within themselves to kick an equalizer from a series of half-chances they had near the end. It was hardly vintage stuff but it was definitely an entertaining and exciting game.

spuds

Quote from: Syferus on November 23, 2011, 12:26:24 AM
Ah c'mon now, spuds. I think the vast majority of Roscommon/Brigids supporters have said the ref was very fussy and it'd have been better to have a more open game. The ref got the big call right and the rest was him going to the letter of the law with most things, be it steps or pushes, Brigids may have gotten the majority of the breaks but that can also be explained by the tight Corofin defending and the rather loose Brigids defending in the first half, meaning there was less latitude for Corofin players to win frees.

It wasn't the travestry of refereeing some would have you believe because in the end what decided the game was Brigids pulling away when it really mattered and Corofin not finding it within themselves to kick an equalizer from a series of half-chances they had near the end. It was hardly vintage stuff but it was definitely an entertaining and exciting game.

Not saying that it was a terrible match, just that it could have been a much more enjoyable spectacle if the ref had allowed. Agree that Brigids were the better side in the 2nd half but got assistance from the overly fussy refereeing with handy frees, Corofin were a bit toothless at the end whereas Brigids can be satisfied that they closed the game out. Not sure whether he got the big calls right, the disallowed goal being the biggie. We are not going to agree on that one.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Shrewdness

Those people on here who accused Marty Duffy of being the referee really need to get their facts  straight before they go mouthing off.
Just because it looks like Marty Duffy, walks like Marty Duffy and quacks like Marty Duffy doesn't automatically make it Marty Duffy. ::)

Apparently Brigid's played Corofin in a challenge during the summer, and i heard it described as a ''bad tempered'' affair.

As for the game itself, there is no doubt that Brigid's magnificent achievement in winning 2 in a row has been completely overshadowed by all the talk about the referee.
The wonderful performances of players like Frankie Dolan, Peter Domican and Eoin Sheehy to name just three, have hardly warranted a mention, which is a huge pity.

Rossfan

They have Breheny and Silke spouting one sided crap in the media all week so no wonder no one's talking about the great win by our Co and now Provincial Champions.

Time for St B's to concentrate on the required improvements to their own game and focus on their games.
Let the Galways whinge on  ...sure they might get amedal if they keep it up long enough.
Any chance of the Tyrone Co Board doing the investigation as the CC are unlikely to come down heavy on a Galway team .
Mind you they abused a Mayo Ref so maybe they will get some comeuppance  :o
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Tubberman

Quote from: Rossfan on November 26, 2011, 07:39:40 PM
They have Breheny and Silke spouting one sided crap in the media all week so no wonder no one's talking about the great win by our Co and now Provincial Champions.

Time for St B's to concentrate on the required improvements to their own game and focus on their games.
Let the Galways whinge on  ...sure they might get amedal if they keep it up long enough.
Any chance of the Tyrone Co Board doing the investigation as the CC are unlikely to come down heavy on a Galway team .
Mind you they abused a Mayo Ref so maybe they will get some comeuppance  :o

That's some size of a chip you're carrying there...
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Rossfan

Only repeating what I've been hearing all over the County during the week.

ross4life

Up next for St. Brigid's is All Ireland quarter final v Fulham Irish this Sunday 1pm in Ruislip. Crossmaglen were given a good game v the London champions (Neasden Gaels) last year so can imagine it will be tough competitive game.

The winner will play the Leinster champions Feb 19th.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

ross4life

Well done St Brigid's on reaching yet another All Ireland semi final today, FT 1-12 to 0-7 comfortable win in the end after the good start (15mins on the clock it was 1-4 to 0-0) there was only ever going to be one winner.

Semi final could be a unique pairing St Brigid's v St Brigid's but i'm sure Garrycastle will have something to say about it
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

haze

Regardless of who wins in Leinster it will be unique. I know St Brigids are based in Kiltoom but would I be right in thinking that that the Roscommon part of Athlone town play with Brigids? Just think it would be very interesting too see two clubs who pretty much share the same town play each other in such an important match. Dessie Dolan v Frankie Dolan could be worth admission fee alone

ross4life

Good point unique semi final either way.

Rossfan

Well done to the Kiltoom/Cam bucks as they continue their assault on the Andy Merrigan.
Went about it the right way today -- hit the ground running and don't give the underdogs a chance to get into the game.

If they meet Garrycastle I wonder where they will play it.?
If Munster Council fixture logic is used it'll probably be in Wexford Park  ::) :D