Connacht Senior club championship 2011

Started by ross4life, September 26, 2011, 06:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NetNitrate

That ref is surely owed a lot of apologies. How many experts like Martin Brehony swore it was a legitimate goal. It wasn't and for at least 3 good reasons.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: neilthemac on November 21, 2011, 08:23:20 PM

there it is, square ball
and he fouled the defender after
goal rightly disallowed

I don't think it was a square ball, follow the "gaze" of the 3 players in the square and the ball already seems to be well inside the square. Given the direction the ball came from and the fact the Corofin player ran full tilt into the square I would safely say it wasn't a square ball. Hand on the shoulder is another matter.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

dublin7

Anyone who can call that a square ball from that angle must have some  depth perception skills. Maybe a free out, but that isn't what the ref gave.

The ref was out of his depth & had a shocker. You would have to question how these guys are appointed with so little experience.

Should never have played the game in brigid's ground either. Totally unsuitable for the game. Neutral venues for provincial finals should be a given.

Buckass

Replays on tg4 show it was a perfectly good goal. Watching it with a Corkonian and 2 Westmeath heads and all of us thought TG4 pics showed it was good goal. What was keeper @? No square ball and contact with ball before he landed on full back

Syferus

Quote from: dublin7 on November 22, 2011, 12:52:15 PM
Anyone who can call that a square ball from that angle must have some  depth perception skills. Maybe a free out, but that isn't what the ref gave.

The ref was out of his depth & had a shocker. You would have to question how these guys are appointed with so little experience.

Should never have played the game in brigid's ground either. Totally unsuitable for the game. Neutral venues for provincial finals should be a given.

The venue was perfect for this level of match and it's the second county ground, which is why it was an option in the first place. More club finals should be played at smaller venues as the atmosphere is far better than sticking 4-5,000 into stadia built for 30,000+.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Syferus on November 22, 2011, 02:18:16 PM

The venue was perfect for this level of match and it's the second county ground, which is why it was an option in the first place. More club finals should be played at smaller venues as the atmosphere is far better than sticking 4-5,000 into stadia built for 30,000+.

I think the argument is a club final shouldn't be held on the home ground of one of the competing clubs and it shouldn't IMO. No matter who is in the final. No shortage of suitable grounds out there these days. I know Brigid's are hardly the first in this regard as Ballina for example have had provincial finals on their ground with them playing in it.

In fairness this is a seperate argument to the performance of the ref.

ross4life

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on November 22, 2011, 02:29:53 PM

I think the argument is a club final shouldn't be held on the home ground of one of the competing clubs and it shouldn't IMO. No matter who is in the final. No shortage of suitable grounds out there these days. I know Brigid's are hardly the first in this regard as Ballina for example have had provincial finals on their ground with them playing in it.

Really? would the venue issue be raised if St. Brigid's won without talking points or indeed if Corofin won. As Syferus said it's a fine pitch ideal for Club finals & a poor ref performance shouldn't stop games from  been played there in the future.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

seafoid

Quote from: ross4life on November 22, 2011, 03:34:05 PM

Really? would the venue issue be raised if St. Brigid's won without talking points or indeed if Corofin won. As Syferus said it's a fine pitch ideal for Club finals & a poor ref performance shouldn't stop games from  been played there in the future.

it is no use beating Corofin if St Brigids don't win the all-Ireland. 

GalwayBayBoy

Really? would the venue issue be raised if St. Brigid's won without talking points or indeed if Corofin won.

Eh yes considering I raised the point on here well before the match took place.

Argument is not about the suitability of Kiltoom as a venue. I'm sure it's a fine facility. Just that club finals should not be played on the home ground of one of the competing clubs. I don't think this is a difficult concept to grasp myself.

Tubberman

Quote from: seafoid on November 22, 2011, 03:37:11 PM

it is no use beating Corofin if St Brigids don't win the all-Ireland.

No point in most teams togging out at all so....
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

ross4life

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on November 22, 2011, 03:39:16 PM

Really? would the venue issue be raised if St. Brigid's won without talking points or indeed if Corofin won.

Argument is not about the suitability of Kiltoom as a venue. I'm sure it's a fine facility. Just that club finals should not be played on the home ground of one of the competing clubs. I don't think this is a difficult concept to grasp myself.
In fairness you raised the point before the match because it was news to you that a competing team was at home in a club Connacht final before.

I hear your argument but i for one have no problem with teams having home advantage & must remember St.Brigid's have been on both sides of the coin now.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Lone Shark

Quote from: neilthemac on November 21, 2011, 07:59:21 PM
As for the referee - yes he was brutal. But, did he cause Corofin to lose the game? No

Just out of curiosity, is there anyone on this board not from Roscommon who shares this view? I fully accept that Devanney just had a poor day, it wasn't bias, and I'd have no problem with the location of the game - but surely to God it's easy to see that he changed the result of this game with a long sequence of decisions in favour of Brigids?

neilthemac

What about Tuam?
Corofin had no problem playing Tuam Stars there!

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: neilthemac on November 22, 2011, 09:27:05 PM

What about Tuam?

In fairness a county final was only ever going to be in either Salthill or Tuam. It would have no made no sense at all to drag two teams and their fans from the greater Tuam area into Salthill.

spuds

Quote from: Lone Shark on November 22, 2011, 04:25:02 PM
Quote from: neilthemac on November 21, 2011, 07:59:21 PM
As for the referee - yes he was brutal. But, did he cause Corofin to lose the game? No

Just out of curiosity, is there anyone on this board not from Roscommon who shares this view? I fully accept that Devanney just had a poor day, it wasn't bias, and I'd have no problem with the location of the game - but surely to God it's easy to see that he changed the result of this game with a long sequence of decisions in favour of Brigids?

Quote from: neilthemac on November 22, 2011, 09:27:05 PM

What about Tuam?

Funny how the Rossie posters are only willing to take umbrage with the Galway poster and not with the majority of neutrals that saw the referee as having a huge influence on the result. 2 good teams and the potential for a more memorable match ruined. Not Brigids fault and best of luck to them, hope they can go a step further than last year.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard