International Rules 2011

Started by brianboru00, September 20, 2011, 11:29:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drici

The flattened umpire must have thought that Stevie had missed his chance for the goal.

Edit: Scrub that: It was the Australian goalkeeper.

nrico2006

Quote from: hardstation on October 28, 2011, 11:33:59 AM
Quote from: rootthemout on October 28, 2011, 11:31:47 AM
must be the poorest aussie team that  has ever taken part in compromise rules!
The best Irish?

It is hardly an Irish team comprising of the really best Gaelic footballers that there is. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Croí na hÉireann

Only caught the 2nd half, what happened to Bolton that led to him being carried off? Aussies were brutal, some great kick passes by the Irish though. Go Ireland.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Rossfan

Didnt get to see it . Looking forward to watching on TG4 at 5 or so.
Good to hear that we were kick passing the ball .
Let's hope that spreads to our game and get rid of that fcukin skill less basketball sh*** that most teams waste their time at.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

zoyler

Injury was a total accident - both going for a ball on the groend and Oz hip met Irish head.  A wee bit of handbags followed - nothing serious- shortly after.

A great win and Tohill must be well pleased after last year - I'm sure Geezer helped with the defense coaching and they all looked well prepared and up for it.  Our AFL players were also vital - their size and fitness meant they could not be pushed around and Hanley had one great shoulder whistled - in the wrong i thought.

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: Rossfan on October 28, 2011, 12:31:07 PM
Let's hope that spreads to our game and get rid of that fcukin skill less basketball sh*** that most teams waste their time at.
Amen to that Ross!

The Aussies were poor but in fairness to Tohill and the management team, this irish side seem to be very well drilled and were a lot less inclined to get caught in possession and roughed up.  Some good hits from our lads also - Hanley nailed one of the Aussies with a peach of a fair shoulder there today - the Irish lads based over in Aus ran the show for us. 

highorlow

QuoteBy the sound of things even Francie Bellew could have nabbed himself a few overs today!

:D
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

nrico2006

What I find embarrassing is the fact that the game is so favoured towards the Irish team through the use of the football.  The Aussies don't use that kind of ball yet they have beaten Ireland numberous times, would the Irish team get near them if it were their ball in use.  Makes the game look a sham when you see an Aussie player either skinning a man or being put through and he hits the ball 70 yards wide from 10 yards out.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

muppet

Quote from: nrico2006 on October 28, 2011, 02:16:51 PM
What I find embarrassing is the fact that the game is so favoured towards the Irish team through the use of the football.  The Aussies don't use that kind of ball yet they have beaten Ireland numberous times, would the Irish team get near them if it were their ball in use.  Makes the game look a sham when you see an Aussie player either skinning a man or being put through and he hits the ball 70 yards wide from 10 yards out.

To be fair they should play with something neutral, say a shuttlecock.
MWWSI 2017

Jinxy

A cube-shaped ball would be a good compromise.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

blewuporstuffed

this type of comment grinds my gears
sure why dont we just give them all sticks and make the ball smaller?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Rossfan

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on October 28, 2011, 02:51:51 PM

Obviously a fan of the handpassing sh1te  ::)
Name of our game is Gaelic FOOTBALL.
The sooner most of our players primarily kick the ball the better.
If I want to look at a load of lads passing/throwing a ball sideways and backwards I'll look at the Rugby League on Sky.
Anyway a kicked ball travels faster than throwball and as Dublin showed the way to win games is quick kicking to mobile forwards.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

nrico2006

Quote from: Jinxy on October 28, 2011, 02:45:10 PM

A compromise should be something that is equally adaptable for each team.  The use of the football severely favours the Irish team.  As I mentioned, an Irish team would be lucky to get a few scores if the Aussie ball was used.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Rossfan on October 28, 2011, 03:02:07 PM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on October 28, 2011, 02:51:51 PM

Obviously a fan of the handpassing sh1te  ::)
Name of our game is Gaelic FOOTBALL.
The sooner most of our players primarily kick the ball the better.
If I want to look at a load of lads passing/throwing a ball sideways and backwards I'll look at the Rugby League on Sky.
Anyway a kicked ball travels faster than throwball and as Dublin showed the way to win games is quick kicking to mobile forwards.

i'm neither  fan of handpassing or foot passing in particular. I would just rather watch a team that tries to keep possession and that whose players make the right decision as to what pass is on, rtaher than just lumping it up the feild.
the game has moved on from being one of ball propulsion to one of ball retention and the skill level of gaelic football is far better for it.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Jinxy

Quote from: nrico2006 on October 28, 2011, 03:07:20 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on October 28, 2011, 02:45:10 PM

A compromise should be something that is equally adaptable for each team.  The use of the football severely favours the Irish team.  As I mentioned, an Irish team would be lucky to get a few scores if the Aussie ball was used.

Who cares.
If you were any use you'd be playing.